Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Dell OptiPlex w/ XP/SP2 - 2 gb or 4 gb of Memory?

Dell OptiPlex w/ XP/SP2 - 2 gb or 4 gb of Memory?

Steve Freides

I've got 1 gb of memory - upgrade to 2 or 4 gb? Am going to be running
ProTools, just kinda feel it's time to make this upgrade as well.

TIA.

-S-

Flyer

"Steve Freides" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got 1 gb of memory - upgrade to 2 or 4 gb? Am going to be running
> ProTools, just kinda feel it's time to make this upgrade as well.
>
> TIA.
>
> -S-

XP (32 bit version) casan only address a maximum of 4GB, but it will only
use 3.something of that 4Gb

P.

Tony

Steve is that really you?

Steve Freides wrote:

> I've got 1 gb of memory - upgrade to 2 or 4 gb? Am going to be running
> ProTools, just kinda feel it's time to make this upgrade as well.
>
> TIA.
>
> -S-

wisdomkiller & pain

Steve Freides wrote:

> I've got 1 gb of memory - upgrade to 2 or 4 gb? Am going to be running
> ProTools, just kinda feel it's time to make this upgrade as well.

With 32bit XP, you can only use 3-3.5 GB of RAM, depends upon the mainboard
and the address range used for PCI or onboard cards.
So get 2x1GB and 2x512MB of DDRAM2 sticks to fill both banks and make use of
interleaved access.

Steve Freides

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Steve is that really you?

I guess that depends on who you are ...

-S-

> Steve Freides wrote:
>
>> I've got 1 gb of memory - upgrade to 2 or 4 gb? Am going to be
>> running
>> ProTools, just kinda feel it's time to make this upgrade as well.
>>
>> TIA.
>>
>> -S-

> --
> Regards Tony... Making usenet better for everyone everyday

Steve Freides

"wisdomkiller & pain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Steve Freides wrote:
>
>> I've got 1 gb of memory - upgrade to 2 or 4 gb? Am going to be
>> running
>> ProTools, just kinda feel it's time to make this upgrade as well.
>>

> With 32bit XP, you can only use 3-3.5 GB of RAM, depends upon the
> mainboard
> and the address range used for PCI or onboard cards.
> So get 2x1GB and 2x512MB of DDRAM2 sticks to fill both banks and make
> use of
> interleaved access.

That's what I did. I was going to put 1 gb additional in my wife's
machine but she doesn't use it for much, so I've got just what you said,
the 2 x 512 I had plus 2 x 1 gb. I put the 1 gb where the 512's were
and moved the 512's to empty slots - don't know if that was necessary
but it seems to work.

The way the machine was slots 2 and 4 had chips in them, 1 and 3 were
empty - I was surprised by that. I assume this has to do with
"interleaving".

-S-