Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > How to get rid of this prompt on move or copy files?

How to get rid of this prompt on move or copy files?

Alan Gruskoff

With the new WinXP x64 version, we picked up a hurdle I need to get rid of.

When every I copy of move a file within my office network. WinXp 64 decides
to "protect me" and opens a dialog box asking:

"Do you want to move or copy files from this zone?"

This is really annoying and slowing me down with no purpose. Do they really
assume that people running the x64 version are novices that need this
interuption?

How do I kill this dialog box??

--
Flex and REALbasic Developer

Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

Alan Gruskoff wrote:

>With the new WinXP x64 version, we picked up a hurdle I need to get rid of.
>
>When every I copy of move a file within my office network. WinXp 64 decides
>to "protect me" and opens a dialog box asking:
>
>"Do you want to move or copy files from this zone?"
>
>This is really annoying and slowing me down with no purpose. Do they really
>assume that people running the x64 version are novices that need this
>interuption?
>
>How do I kill this dialog box??

This isn't standard OOB behaviour. It sounds like you've been working with
IE's security zones, and have most likely added at least some of your LAN
locations into the Trusted Sites zone.

Open the Internet Options dialog (either from Control Panel, or under the
Tools menu in IE), click on the Security tab and review what "sites" (they
can include UNC paths) are in each zone.

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
---------------------------------------

Alan Gruskoff

It worked. Thanks Steve.

I was trying to keep track of exactly what parameter I changed within my
Security / Intranet settings, but lost track of that. I made it real open and
it works, so I am on to the next thing.

best regards,
- Alan Gruskoff
--

"Steve Foster [SBS MVP]" wrote:

> Alan Gruskoff wrote:
>
> >With the new WinXP x64 version, we picked up a hurdle I need to get rid of.
> >
> >When every I copy of move a file within my office network. WinXp 64 decides
> >to "protect me" and opens a dialog box asking:
> >
> >"Do you want to move or copy files from this zone?"
> >
> >This is really annoying and slowing me down with no purpose. Do they really
> >assume that people running the x64 version are novices that need this
> >interuption?
> >
> >How do I kill this dialog box??

> This isn't standard OOB behaviour. It sounds like you've been working with
> IE's security zones, and have most likely added at least some of your LAN
> locations into the Trusted Sites zone.
>
> Open the Internet Options dialog (either from Control Panel, or under the
> Tools menu in IE), click on the Security tab and review what "sites" (they
> can include UNC paths) are in each zone.
>
> --
> Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

Dawn Harju

I beg to differ. This is a standard message right after you upgrade interenet
explorer to 7. This is a time wasting message and should have never been
written. Internet Explorer 7 shouldn't have anything to do with my desktop,
folders, or files. This message is doubling my work load.

"Steve Foster [SBS MVP]" wrote:

> Alan Gruskoff wrote:
>
> >With the new WinXP x64 version, we picked up a hurdle I need to get rid of.
> >
> >When every I copy of move a file within my office network. WinXp 64 decides
> >to "protect me" and opens a dialog box asking:
> >
> >"Do you want to move or copy files from this zone?"
> >
> >This is really annoying and slowing me down with no purpose. Do they really
> >assume that people running the x64 version are novices that need this
> >interuption?
> >
> >How do I kill this dialog box??

> This isn't standard OOB behaviour. It sounds like you've been working with
> IE's security zones, and have most likely added at least some of your LAN
> locations into the Trusted Sites zone.
>
> Open the Internet Options dialog (either from Control Panel, or under the
> Tools menu in IE), click on the Security tab and review what "sites" (they
> can include UNC paths) are in each zone.
>
> --
> Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

Dawn Harju wrote:

>I beg to differ. This is a standard message right after you upgrade
>interenet
>explorer to 7.

IE7 is not installed OOB. My point about OOB behaviour stands.

I avoid installing IE7 on machines that don't have it as far as possible
(in much the same way that I avoid using IE* as a browser as much as
possible), so my experience with it is limited to Vista and WS2008 boxes.
Where it does not produce such a prompt by default.

>This is a time wasting message and should have never been
>written. Internet Explorer 7 shouldn't have anything to do with my
>desktop,
>folders, or files. This message is doubling my work load.

I would still suggest reviewing the IE security settings, because I can
copy/move files around from my computer to and from my network on Vista
without getting security zone related prompts from IE7.

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
---------------------------------------

Pavel Semyonov

Steve,
I got the same problem after installation of XP SP3 over my XP SP2 with IE7
already installed. It worked fine before, however, I'm getting this terrible
dialog box each time I'm copying files across the LAN or from LAN to my PC. I
tried all settings of zone security, nothing helps. I think that I'm doing
something wrong. Can you provide me step-by-step instruction what I have to
configure in IE options to get rid of this box?
Thanks, Pavel.

"Steve Foster [SBS MVP]" wrote:

> Dawn Harju wrote:
>
> >I beg to differ. This is a standard message right after you upgrade
> >interenet
> >explorer to 7.

> IE7 is not installed OOB. My point about OOB behaviour stands.
>
> I avoid installing IE7 on machines that don't have it as far as possible
> (in much the same way that I avoid using IE* as a browser as much as
> possible), so my experience with it is limited to Vista and WS2008 boxes.
> Where it does not produce such a prompt by default.
>
> >This is a time wasting message and should have never been
> >written. Internet Explorer 7 shouldn't have anything to do with my
> >desktop,
> >folders, or files. This message is doubling my work load.

> I would still suggest reviewing the IE security settings, because I can
> copy/move files around from my computer to and from my network on Vista
> without getting security zone related prompts from IE7.
>
> --
> Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

Pavel Semyonov wrote:

>Steve,
>I got the same problem after installation of XP SP3 over my XP SP2 with IE7
>already installed. It worked fine before, however, I'm getting this
>terrible
>dialog box each time I'm copying files across the LAN or from LAN to my
>PC. I
>tried all settings of zone security, nothing helps. I think that I'm doing
>something wrong. Can you provide me step-by-step instruction what I have to
>configure in IE options to get rid of this box?

There's a number of solutions outlined in this thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-0269e4f316ab/

depending on which particular form of the problem you're experiencing.

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]