Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Question? - How do you save favorites in IE to disk?

Question? - How do you save favorites in IE to disk?

Ben

would like to back up my Favoritie website URL's, s aved as Favorites in
IE,
to a disk.

Does anyone know how to do that?

Thanks in advance.

Ben

Jeff Strickland

One method is to open Windows Explorer and navigate to documents and
settings\owner\favorites and drag the contents (holding the CTRL Key so a
copy is made) to the destination drive ...

"Ben" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:t49Hj.2946$(E-Mail Removed)...
> would like to back up my Favoritie website URL's, s aved as Favorites in
> IE,
> to a disk.
>
> Does anyone know how to do that?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Ben

Tee Jay

Ben wrote:
> would like to back up my Favoritie website URL's, s aved as Favorites in
> IE,
> to a disk.
>
> Does anyone know how to do that?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Ben

IE/File/Import export/Favorites to a location. Now you may copy
bookmarks.html to anywhere you desire.
Tee Jay

Lord Turkey Cough

"Ben" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:t49Hj.2946$(E-Mail Removed)...
> would like to back up my Favoritie website URL's, s aved as Favorites in
> IE,
> to a disk.
>
> Does anyone know how to do that?

There is a folder on your computer called Favourites.
Just save that.
You need to find it first.
If should be in the at the same level as your "my Documents" ie
one level up from your desktop.

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Ben

Alex Clayton

"Ben" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:t49Hj.2946$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> would like to back up my Favoritie website URL's, s aved as Favorites in
>> IE,
>> to a disk.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to do that?
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Ben

When I want to put them on a different computer I open IE, click file, click
import export, the wizard opens, click next, click export favorites from the
menu and choose where you want to save them. This is then a file you can put
on a disk, flash drive, or whatever you want. I use jump (flash) drives. I
load this file into the my documents of the new computer, open IE, this time
click import favorites, it will ask where to get them, click the place you
put them, like from my documents, and you now have the same favorites on the
new machine, set up just like your old one.
Moderation is for monks."
[Lazarus Long]

Lord Turkey Cough

"Alex Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> "Ben" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:t49Hj.2946$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> would like to back up my Favoritie website URL's, s aved as Favorites in
>>> IE,
>>> to a disk.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how to do that?
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Ben
>>>

> When I want to put them on a different computer I open IE, click file,
> click import export, the wizard opens, click next, click export favorites
> from the menu and choose where you want to save them. This is then a file
> you can put on a disk, flash drive, or whatever you want. I use jump
> (flash) drives. I load this file into the my documents of the new
> computer, open IE, this time click import favorites, it will ask where to
> get them, click the place you put them, like from my documents, and you
> now have the same favorites on the new machine, set up just like your old
> one.

Well I suppose you could do it like that.
It is doing bacially the same thing in a roundabout way.
Actually the way I describe does not see to work, at least not
without either a reboot or restart of explorer.
You see I renamed the favouries folder but it (IE) still worked
and added a new bookmark to it.
So I guess it is best to use the import export thing.
I will restart explorer and see what that does!!

> --
> "Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.
> Moderation is for monks."
> [Lazarus Long]

Lord Turkey Cough

"Lord Turkey Cough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:QcTIj.19655$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Alex Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> "Ben" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:t49Hj.2946$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> When I want to put them on a different computer I open IE, click file,
>> click import export, the wizard opens, click next, click export favorites
>> from the menu and choose where you want to save them. This is then a file
>> you can put on a disk, flash drive, or whatever you want. I use jump
>> (flash) drives. I load this file into the my documents of the new
>> computer, open IE, this time click import favorites, it will ask where to
>> get them, click the place you put them, like from my documents, and you
>> now have the same favorites on the new machine, set up just like your old
>> one.

> Well I suppose you could do it like that.
> It is doing bacially the same thing in a roundabout way.
> Actually the way I describe does not see to work, at least not
> without either a reboot or restart of explorer.
> You see I renamed the favouries folder but it (IE) still worked
> and added a new bookmark to it.
> So I guess it is best to use the import export thing.
> I will restart explorer and see what that does!!

Made no differnce so I think I would have to reboot to do it my way,
and I am not sure if that would work.
Seems windows keeps a seperate copy of this special folder,
just to make things really hard for you.

But, essemtialy favourites is just a folder full of links, that's all, so
you could
treat it like any other folder and indeed you can copy the links into
another
folder and they will work if u click them there.
But essentially windows just 'gets in the way' and make things harder for
you to do, you have to guess what that pile of **** is doing.