Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Multi-language site and physical hierarchy

Multi-language site and physical hierarchy

Mike Gleason jr Couturier

Hi,

I'm a little bit familiar with site cultures and ressources with .NET 2.0.
However, I'm wondering how this following scenario could be achieved:

My site supports 2 cultures (fr, en). The site's physical structure is in
english. But to be more search engine friendly, when the site is displayed
in french, the directory structure ideally must be in french (not
http://test.com/friend/delete.aspx but http://test.com/ami/effacer.aspx). Is
there a technique to achieve this without duplicating the entire site?
(virtual directories? ... )

Thank you very much!

Mike

bruce barker

google .net url rewriting. pick the method you like.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

"Mike Gleason jr Couturier" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a little bit familiar with site cultures and ressources with .NET 2.0.
> However, I'm wondering how this following scenario could be achieved:
>
> My site supports 2 cultures (fr, en). The site's physical structure is in
> english. But to be more search engine friendly, when the site is displayed
> in french, the directory structure ideally must be in french (not
> http://test.com/friend/delete.aspx but http://test.com/ami/effacer.aspx). Is
> there a technique to achieve this without duplicating the entire site?
> (virtual directories? ... )
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> Mike

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

URL Rewriting is one option (mapping the french name to the English page).
You use an HTTP handler to do this:

MVC also provides another option, although the MVC Framework is not gold
code yet. It does contain a Go Live license on the current download (MIX
200. You will generally want to download both the ASP.NET Extensions and
the MVC Framework:

Extensions: http://tinyurl.com/2glz42
MVC Framework: http://tinyurl.com/2breds

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Subscribe to my blog

or just read it:
http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com/

| Think outside the box!

"Mike Gleason jr Couturier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I'm a little bit familiar with site cultures and ressources with .NET 2.0.
> However, I'm wondering how this following scenario could be achieved:
>
> My site supports 2 cultures (fr, en). The site's physical structure is in
> english. But to be more search engine friendly, when the site is displayed
> in french, the directory structure ideally must be in french (not
> http://test.com/friend/delete.aspx but http://test.com/ami/effacer.aspx).
> Is there a technique to achieve this without duplicating the entire site?
> (virtual directories? ... )
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> Mike

Mike Gleason jr Couturier

"Mike Gleason jr Couturier" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message
de news: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I'm a little bit familiar with site cultures and ressources with .NET 2.0.
> However, I'm wondering how this following scenario could be achieved:
>
> My site supports 2 cultures (fr, en). The site's physical structure is in
> english. But to be more search engine friendly, when the site is displayed
> in french, the directory structure ideally must be in french (not
> http://test.com/friend/delete.aspx but http://test.com/ami/effacer.aspx).
> Is there a technique to achieve this without duplicating the entire site?
> (virtual directories? ... )
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> Mike

Thanks to both of you..

I think I'll go with the URL rewrite method!

Mike