Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Day of woe, must get a laptop.

Reply
Thread Tools

Day of woe, must get a laptop.

 
 
Michael Swift
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-28-2008
Desktop in small bedroom upstairs, Virgin Media cable modem connected to
Netgear router downstairs, wireless connection working well, until.....

#3 son arrives to borrow my printer, my printer is USB so it would be
easy to swap the cable to his laptop, he has access to my router for
interweb, but NO, we have to be clever and set up a wireless network so
he can print via my desktop.

90 minutes latter we accept we're not clever enough to set it up so he
uses the sensible option and swaps the USB cable.

He beggers off home and I have to re-boot, no wireless, fiddle about an
hour and still nothing.

Hump the monitor and box downstairs and connect via cable, get things
working O.K., test wireless, hump everything back upstairs, all works
well.

I now ache, not as young as I used to be, my innards are in disarray in
case I've fried the router.

Moral of this post.

Always take the easy option.
Get a bloody laptop.
Stuff wireless.

Mike

--
Michael Swift We do not regard Englishmen as foreigners.
Kirkheaton We look on them only as rather mad Norwegians.
Yorkshire Halvard Lange
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-28-2008
Hi
There is Nothing need to be done to a Wireless connection per-se in order to
share a printer.
Sharing Files or printer is matter of configuring sharing and it is
independent from the other Network setting.
I.e you probably changed some thing in the Wireless setting that created a
problem.
May be this can Help.
My Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
Wireless Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Michael Swift" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Desktop in small bedroom upstairs, Virgin Media cable modem connected to
> Netgear router downstairs, wireless connection working well, until.....
>
> #3 son arrives to borrow my printer, my printer is USB so it would be
> easy to swap the cable to his laptop, he has access to my router for
> interweb, but NO, we have to be clever and set up a wireless network so
> he can print via my desktop.
>
> 90 minutes latter we accept we're not clever enough to set it up so he
> uses the sensible option and swaps the USB cable.
>
> He beggers off home and I have to re-boot, no wireless, fiddle about an
> hour and still nothing.
>
> Hump the monitor and box downstairs and connect via cable, get things
> working O.K., test wireless, hump everything back upstairs, all works
> well.
>
> I now ache, not as young as I used to be, my innards are in disarray in
> case I've fried the router.
>
> Moral of this post.
>
> Always take the easy option.
> Get a bloody laptop.
> Stuff wireless.
>
> Mike
>
> --
> Michael Swift We do not regard Englishmen as foreigners.
> Kirkheaton We look on them only as rather mad Norwegians.
> Yorkshire Halvard Lange


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Michael Swift
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-28-2008
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jack (MVP-
Networking). <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Hi
>There is Nothing need to be done to a Wireless connection per-se in
>order to share a printer.
>Sharing Files or printer is matter of configuring sharing and it is
>independent from the other Network setting.
>I.e you probably changed some thing in the Wireless setting that created
>a problem.
>May be this can Help.
>My Wireless does not work - http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
>Wireless Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
>Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
>Jack (MVP-Networking).


Many thanks, more or less what we thought, we just couldn't get anything
to work, ah well.

Mike

--
Michael Swift We do not regard Englishmen as foreigners.
Kirkheaton We look on them only as rather mad Norwegians.
Yorkshire Halvard Lange
 
Reply With Quote
 
smlunatick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-28-2008
On Mar 28, 6:57*am, Michael Swift <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jack (MVP-
> Networking). <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>
> >Hi
> >There is Nothing need to be done to a Wireless connection per-se in
> >order to share a printer.
> >Sharing Files or printer is matter of configuring sharing and it is
> >independent from the other Network setting.
> >I.e you probably changed some thing in the Wireless setting that created
> >a problem.
> >May be this can Help.
> >My *Wireless does not work -http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
> >Wireless Basic Configuration -http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
> >Wireless Security - *http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
> >Jack (MVP-Networking).

>
> Many thanks, more or less what we thought, we just couldn't get anything
> to work, ah well.
>
> Mike
>
> --
> Michael Swift * * * * * We do not regard Englishmen as foreigners. * * *
> Kirkheaton * * * * * * *We look on them only as rather mad Norwegians. * *
> Yorkshire * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Halvard Lange


Network sharing of files / printers, you need to permit this type of
traffic thorough the firewall software (including SP2's firewall) and
have the anti-virus Internet worm blocking module to permit LAN
traffic (NetBios over TCP/IP.)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Now.day and day(now) returning the wrong day! Andy ASP .Net 1 11-06-2008 12:20 PM
Why must and must not be "final" ? NeoGeoSNK Java 25 11-24-2006 02:02 AM
Last Day! FA: DTS INDEPENDENCE DAY ld, Sealed DEEP RISING dvd J Rusnak DVD Video 0 03-05-2006 12:50 AM
Nice Day-Slow Day Collector»NZ NZ Computing 0 04-04-2005 10:18 PM



Advertisments