Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Interesting series of articles on building custom PCs and overclocking

Interesting series of articles on building custom PCs and overclocking

thingy

Rob Simpson

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 09:55:24 +1300, thingy propped his eyelids open with
toothpicks and wrote:

> http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/03/...lder_marathon/

Bookmarked for when I have time to give it more than a desultory perusal.

For those not necessarily into overclocking, but are having trouble
figuring out which cpu to get, here's an up to date comparison guide of
over 630 cpus

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=337

--
Rob - Linux user number 467898 Ubuntu User number 17166
Linux 2.6.22-14-generic - E2160 1.8Ghz running at 3.0Ghz

thingy

Rob Simpson wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 09:55:24 +1300, thingy propped his eyelids open with
> toothpicks and wrote:
>
>> http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/03/...lder_marathon/

> Bookmarked for when I have time to give it more than a desultory perusal.
>
> For those not necessarily into overclocking, but are having trouble
> figuring out which cpu to get, here's an up to date comparison guide of
> over 630 cpus
>
> http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=337

Hi,

You dont have to overclock....(and I dont). They build them as std then
see what they can do....for the mid spec box, a Q6600 CPU is half the
cost of the Q6700 and I'd look at a GTS8800 512Meg....video card and
cheaper ram myself....some components are interesting choices, like the
TX2 CPU cooling fan is actually quite cheap but very good, to get
significantly better water cooling is needed....and that would seem to
be 5~10 times the cost with only a % improvement.

As far as overclocking goes last time I think they used a Q6600 in the
mid range box and so this time a Q6700, it gives an interesting
comparison. $440 v $800 is a step rise but if its giving a worthwhile
boost....so im off to read.....

regards

Thing

Peter Huebner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)y says...
> Hi,
>
> You dont have to overclock....(and I dont). They build them as std then
> see what they can do....for the mid spec box, a Q6600 CPU is half the
> cost of the Q6700 and I'd look at a GTS8800 512Meg....video card and
> cheaper ram myself....some components are interesting choices, like the
> TX2 CPU cooling fan is actually quite cheap but very good, to get
> significantly better water cooling is needed....and that would seem to
> be 5~10 times the cost with only a % improvement.

The Scythe Ninja fans are supposedly very very good.

As for watercooling - I did it on my current system, mostly so I could cool the
video card and the bridge chip as well. First catch is: Megabucks, nearly $800
on my setup with the gfx card waterblock alone being over $200. AND it's
noisier than the air cooling I had before (albeit with passive cooling on the
gfx card). Having said that - I am not sure how much noise the air cooler on my
8800 GTS would have made, had I left it on the card.

The bottom line on the water cooling, however is, that the gfx card runs
SIGNIFICANTLY cooler than it would in any other configuration, it doesn't even
reach 40 degrees celsius. That's half the temp it would reach with an air
cooler. Cpu is typically in the low 30ies or high 20ies in winter. Now that is
nice.
I don't overclock much, either. No need, the Core2D 6420 is plenty fast enough
for me as it is.

-P.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> , Peter Huebner
did write:

> As for watercooling - I did it on my current system, mostly so I could
> cool the video card and the bridge chip as well. First catch is:
> Megabucks.... AND it's noisier than the air cooling I had before ...

What about operational life and maintenance issues? Is it likely to spring a
leak a couple of years down the road? Corrosion? Deposits? Things growing
in the water?

Trying to think of all the bad things that could possibly happen.

Peter Huebner

In article <fskf7f$o7j$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)_zealand
says...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> , Peter Huebner
> did write:
>
> > As for watercooling - I did it on my current system, mostly so I could
> > cool the video card and the bridge chip as well. First catch is:
> > Megabucks.... AND it's noisier than the air cooling I had before ...

> What about operational life and maintenance issues? Is it likely to spring a
> leak a couple of years down the road? Corrosion? Deposits? Things growing
> in the water?
>
> Trying to think of all the bad things that could possibly happen.

Pump is rated at 50k hours - which is about par with most computer equipment.
I have to top up every 6 months or so - and since I use distilled water with
antifreeze (kills algae) there are no problems with corrosion or slime buildup.
Good idea to have an all-copper system though, regardless. I'd hesitate to mix
copper and aluminium even if some manufacturers do. Leak, well ... I used high
quality hose, good clips ... I think I don't have to worry for 2-3 years. Then
I may test a piece of hose for brittleness. But it's out of the light. Hell,
the water system of our house is 1km polyethylene pipe and it's 17 years old
and going strong.

-P.