Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Can't send break for PW recovery -- 2500's

Can't send break for PW recovery -- 2500's

RoverDrover

We've got hold of a few old dinosaurs that will still be useful to us,
some 2500's, some 4500's and a 2621. I've been able to send a break
and go through the PW recovery sequence easily with some of them, but
a two of them -- specially a 2514 I'm working with right now -- just
won't see a break signal from TeraTerm, Hyperterm or half a dozen
emulators from TuCows. Is there a physical way to get it to boot to
rommon, jumper or short-across, something like that?

Thanks in advance,

Bob W.

News Reader

Not saying this is your answer, but when you're stuck, it rarely hurts
to read another document.

The following document can be found on the Cisco web site:

Standard Break Key Sequence Combinations During Password Recovery
Document ID: 12818

Best Regards,
News Reader

RoverDrover wrote:
> We've got hold of a few old dinosaurs that will still be useful to us,
> some 2500's, some 4500's and a 2621. I've been able to send a break
> and go through the PW recovery sequence easily with some of them, but
> a two of them -- specially a 2514 I'm working with right now -- just
> won't see a break signal from TeraTerm, Hyperterm or half a dozen
> emulators from TuCows. Is there a physical way to get it to boot to
> rommon, jumper or short-across, something like that?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>

> Bob W.

RoverDrover

Thanks, News Reader. I did go get that list of break sequences, I'd
forgotten they were there. But with both the 2514 and the 4500 I'm
getting SOME response but not the right one. Here's what it looks
like

Compiled Sat 19-Jul-03 13:21 by cmong
System Bootstrap, Version 5.2(8a), RELEASE SOFTWARE
Copyright (c) 1986-1995 by cisco Systems
2500 processor with 8192 Kbytes of main memory

(I send break here)

Abort at 0x10EA81C (PC)
>confreg 0x2142 (I entered this)

Exception: Jump to zero at 0x2244 (PC)

System Bootstrap, Version 5.2(8a), RELEASE SOFTWARE
Copyright (c) 1986-1995 by cisco Systems
2500 processor with 8192 Kbytes of main memory

...... and then it goes ahead with a normal boot

Doug McIntyre

RoverDrover <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>Thanks, News Reader. I did go get that list of break sequences, I'd
>forgotten they were there. But with both the 2514 and the 4500 I'm
>getting SOME response but not the right one. Here's what it looks
>like

>Copyright (c) 1986-2003 by cisco Systems, Inc.
>Compiled Sat 19-Jul-03 13:21 by cmong
>System Bootstrap, Version 5.2(8a), RELEASE SOFTWARE
>Copyright (c) 1986-1995 by cisco Systems
>2500 processor with 8192 Kbytes of main memory

>(I send break here)

>Abort at 0x10EA81C (PC)
>>confreg 0x2142 (I entered this)

Thats not what the document says to do for a 2500?
They are old schoool.

Read this link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...80094795.shtml

RoverDrover

Thanks Doug. That was exactly what I needed. When it didn't say
rommon> I thought it hadn't responded to the break. > o/r 0x2141 got
me right in. Appreciate the quick help.