Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > jxl / java heap space error

jxl / java heap space error

ChrisW

HI,

I've got a spreadsheet I'm trying to read in using the jxl api. My
spreadsheet is about 12 Mb (~200 columns x 6000 rows). My code can
read the spreadsheet, and can print a list of the worksheets using the
following:

rawData = Workbook.getWorkbook(dataFile, wks);
String [] sheetNames = rawData.getSheetNames();

for(int i = 0; i<numberOfSheets; i++)
{
tools.out(sheetNames[i]); //print the sheet names
}

I then try to access the sheet I want

rawDataSheet = rawData.getSheet("Sheet1");

NVars = rawDataSheet.getColumns();
NRows = rawDataSheet.getRows();

System.out.println(NVars + " " + NRows);

I never get to the final print statemement. I've set the
WorkbookSettings as follows:

WorkbookSettings wks = new WorkbookSettings();
wks.setInitialFileSize(30000000);
wks.setArrayGrowSize(6000000);

and I've edited my -Xms and -Xmx to the following:

-Xms4m -Xmx30m

I (and my colleagues) have got no idea what to do next! If anyone can
help, then they might stop my computer from being thrown out of the
window

Thanks,
Chris

Roedy Green

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 03:06:33 -0700 (PDT), ChrisW <(E-Mail Removed)>

>I never get to the final print statemement. I've set the
>WorkbookSettings as follows:

You are not getting an error message, right?

You can either pepper the code with debug statements to figure out
precisely where it is looping/hanging, or you can use the debugger in
your IDE to start tracing and seeing that it is doing.
--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary