Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Cannot connect laptop wirelessly

Reply
Thread Tools

Cannot connect laptop wirelessly

 
 
Barb Bowman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-11-2008
make sure you have the latest firmware for the router as well. then
reset the router to factory defaults and set it up again.

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 17:26:25 +0200, "Stuart Grant"
<sagranatbluewin.ch> wrote:

>Barb
>
>Thank you for jumping in. As far as I know I have the latest driver.
>The hardware rev is C4
>Yes I have tried using the Windows built in features. Still no progress.
>
>Stuart
>
>"Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> first, do you have the latest driver for the D-Link G650 from their
>> site? which hardware rev of the card? Second, have you tried
>> disabling the D-Link utility and connecting with Windows built in
>> features?
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS-MVP
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
>> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/

>

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Stuart Grant
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-15-2008
Thank you for your further recommendations.

I appreciate your advice and recognise your credentials as an expert on
wireless networks. Nevertheless I don't think I will take your advice.

I upgraded the firmware on the router some weeks ago. It is working fine.
While I would like to get the laptop on the network, it is much more
important to have the two desktops and the printer which are functioning
well and I don't want to reset the router to factory defaults and reinstall
unless you can tell me that you know that a recent firmware upgrade
specifically addressed a known fault which prevented the Linksys wag54gs
from assigning IP addresses.

Thank you anyway.

Stuart

"Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> make sure you have the latest firmware for the router as well. then
> reset the router to factory defaults and set it up again.
>
>>Barb
>>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Barb Bowman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-15-2008
you might want to check the Linksys forum on dslreports.com

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 10:14:23 +0200, "Stuart Grant"
<sagranatbluewin.ch> wrote:

>Thank you for your further recommendations.
>
>I appreciate your advice and recognise your credentials as an expert on
>wireless networks. Nevertheless I don't think I will take your advice.
>
>I upgraded the firmware on the router some weeks ago. It is working fine.
>While I would like to get the laptop on the network, it is much more
>important to have the two desktops and the printer which are functioning
>well and I don't want to reset the router to factory defaults and reinstall
>unless you can tell me that you know that a recent firmware upgrade
>specifically addressed a known fault which prevented the Linksys wag54gs
>from assigning IP addresses.
>
>Thank you anyway.
>
>Stuart
>
>"Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> make sure you have the latest firmware for the router as well. then
>> reset the router to factory defaults and set it up again.
>>
>>>Barb
>>>

>

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Axel Dahmen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-16-2008
Hi Stuart,

this time it's me who didn't reply for a long time... Sorry for that.

Have you tried disabling DHCP on your router and setting a fix IP address to your laptop's network configuration? Your laptop's IP address should be the same as the one you've configured on your router, except for the last number which must be different (somewhere between 2 and 253). Does this work?

Probably you won't be able to use DNS with this configuration unless you enter your provider's DNS IP addresses into your laptop's network configuration as well. So if you don't know the IP addresses of your favourite websites, you might just want to try these:

http://207.46.197.32/ = http://www.Microsoft.com/
http://62.75.136.138/ = http://www.Yacht-Charter.com/

Please keep me informed on your progress. I'm quite sure we can get your hardware to work.

Best regards,
www.axeldahmen.com
Axel Dahmen


--------------------
"Stuart Grant" <sagranatbluewin.ch> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Axel
>
> Sorry to be so long in coming back.
> The lap top now shows "Connected to the Network WIHOME". The wireless card
> in the Laptop is from D-Link and the D-link utility when I click on it shows
> connected with signal strength 90%.
>
> Problem is that it hangs at acquiring an IP address. The IP address should
> be provided by the Linksys router which has DHCP enabled. It supplies the
> address automatically to the other computer and the printer. The laptop is
> set to "Acquire an IP address automatically".
>
> Why doesn't it ?
>
> Stuart
>
> "Axel Dahmen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Stuart,
>
> I didn't understand your last post, I'm afraid. Would you mind describing
> your current problem again?
>
> Regards,
> Axel
>
>
> ----------------
> "Stuart Grant" <sagranatbluewin.ch> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks Axel. Your first suggestion did not work exactly but I managed
>> finally connect and the D-Link Utility shows it connected with strength
>> 90%,
>> correct channel etc.etc. but now it hangs at "Obtain IP address". The
>> DHCP
>> on the Rooter/Access Point works satisfactorily. I have had to repair the
>> connection to the second desktop several times and it always provides one
>> and the laptop is set to provide IP Address automatically. Any idea what
>> can still be wrong ?
>>
>> Stuart
>>
>>

>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
crazyray crazyray is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1
 
      04-17-2008
When I select EAP type Protected EAP(PEAP) I press the properties button and nothing happens
 
Reply With Quote
 
Stuart Grant
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-17-2008
Hi Axel

Very good of you to come back and try to help.

I am pretty sure that I tried assigning a fixed IP address in one of many
attempts to connect but I am willing to try again. Last time I did not
disable DHCP on the router. Does it mean that I would have to assign fixed
IP addresses also to the two desktops and the printer on the network ?
Sometimes the other laptop and the printer lose their connection but it can
be repaired and DHCP assigns the same addresses as before. It works without
problems. That's what baffles me.

Stuart

"Axel Dahmen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Hi Stuart,

this time it's me who didn't reply for a long time... Sorry for that.

Have you tried disabling DHCP on your router and setting a fix IP address to
your laptop's network configuration? Your laptop's IP address should be the
same as the one you've configured on your router, except for the last number
which must be different (somewhere between 2 and 253). Does this work?

Probably you won't be able to use DNS with this configuration unless you
enter your provider's DNS IP addresses into your laptop's network
configuration as well. So if you don't know the IP addresses of your
favourite websites, you might just want to try these:

http://207.46.197.32/ = http://www.Microsoft.com/
http://62.75.136.138/ = http://www.Yacht-Charter.com/

Please keep me informed on your progress. I'm quite sure we can get your
hardware to work.

Best regards,
www.axeldahmen.com
Axel Dahmen


--------------------
"Stuart Grant" <sagranatbluewin.ch> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Axel
>
> Sorry to be so long in coming back.
> The lap top now shows "Connected to the Network WIHOME". The wireless card
> in the Laptop is from D-Link and the D-link utility when I click on it
> shows
> connected with signal strength 90%.
>
> Problem is that it hangs at acquiring an IP address. The IP address
> should
> be provided by the Linksys router which has DHCP enabled. It supplies the
> address automatically to the other computer and the printer. The laptop
> is
> set to "Acquire an IP address automatically".
>
> Why doesn't it ?
>
> Stuart
>
> "Axel Dahmen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Stuart,
>
> I didn't understand your last post, I'm afraid. Would you mind describing
> your current problem again?
>
> Regards,
> Axel
>
>
> ----------------
> "Stuart Grant" <sagranatbluewin.ch> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks Axel. Your first suggestion did not work exactly but I managed
>> finally connect and the D-Link Utility shows it connected with strength
>> 90%,
>> correct channel etc.etc. but now it hangs at "Obtain IP address". The
>> DHCP
>> on the Rooter/Access Point works satisfactorily. I have had to repair
>> the
>> connection to the second desktop several times and it always provides one
>> and the laptop is set to provide IP Address automatically. Any idea what
>> can still be wrong ?
>>
>> Stuart
>>
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Axel Dahmen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-18-2008
Ah, I see... That's interesting news! So the DHCP server actually seems to work. It's just your laptop's WLAN card that's not correctly acquiring an IP address.... Hmmm...

Well, in that case you don't have to turn off DHCP. You might just want to try to set a fixed IP address to your laptop. As you probably already know, this IP address must be within the range of your router's network and it shouldn't already have been assigned to any of your other machines. Also don't forget to set the router's IP address in the laptop's "Standard Gateway" field.

Did you check your router's DHCP IP address range? Did you set the range broad enough to support more than a few machines?

If that isn't the reason, then I guess Barb's right: There's something wrong with your D-Link WLAN driver or your laptop installation.

HTH,
Axel Dahmen



----------
"Stuart Grant" <sagranatbluewin.ch> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Axel
>
> Very good of you to come back and try to help.
>
> I am pretty sure that I tried assigning a fixed IP address in one of many
> attempts to connect but I am willing to try again. Last time I did not
> disable DHCP on the router. Does it mean that I would have to assign fixed
> IP addresses also to the two desktops and the printer on the network ?
> Sometimes the other laptop and the printer lose their connection but it can
> be repaired and DHCP assigns the same addresses as before. It works without
> problems. That's what baffles me.
>
> Stuart
>
> "Axel Dahmen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Stuart,
>
> this time it's me who didn't reply for a long time... Sorry for that.
>
> Have you tried disabling DHCP on your router and setting a fix IP address to
> your laptop's network configuration? Your laptop's IP address should be the
> same as the one you've configured on your router, except for the last number
> which must be different (somewhere between 2 and 253). Does this work?
>
> Probably you won't be able to use DNS with this configuration unless you
> enter your provider's DNS IP addresses into your laptop's network
> configuration as well. So if you don't know the IP addresses of your
> favourite websites, you might just want to try these:
>
> http://207.46.197.32/ = http://www.Microsoft.com/
> http://62.75.136.138/ = http://www.Yacht-Charter.com/
>
> Please keep me informed on your progress. I'm quite sure we can get your
> hardware to work.
>
> Best regards,
> www.axeldahmen.com
> Axel Dahmen
>
>
> --------------------
> "Stuart Grant" <sagranatbluewin.ch> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi Axel
>>
>> Sorry to be so long in coming back.
>> The lap top now shows "Connected to the Network WIHOME". The wireless card
>> in the Laptop is from D-Link and the D-link utility when I click on it
>> shows
>> connected with signal strength 90%.
>>
>> Problem is that it hangs at acquiring an IP address. The IP address
>> should
>> be provided by the Linksys router which has DHCP enabled. It supplies the
>> address automatically to the other computer and the printer. The laptop
>> is
>> set to "Acquire an IP address automatically".
>>
>> Why doesn't it ?
>>
>> Stuart
>>
>> "Axel Dahmen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi Stuart,
>>
>> I didn't understand your last post, I'm afraid. Would you mind describing
>> your current problem again?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Axel
>>
>>
>> ----------------
>> "Stuart Grant" <sagranatbluewin.ch> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Thanks Axel. Your first suggestion did not work exactly but I managed
>>> finally connect and the D-Link Utility shows it connected with strength
>>> 90%,
>>> correct channel etc.etc. but now it hangs at "Obtain IP address". The
>>> DHCP
>>> on the Rooter/Access Point works satisfactorily. I have had to repair
>>> the
>>> connection to the second desktop several times and it always provides one
>>> and the laptop is set to provide IP Address automatically. Any idea what
>>> can still be wrong ?
>>>
>>> Stuart
>>>
>>>

>>
>>

>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Stuart Grant
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-20-2008
Sorry for the delay but I have been trying over and over to check the
settings. I changed over to trying to use the D-Link Utility instead of
Windows.
I assigned a fixed IP address of 192.168 1.104. The possible IP addresses
start at 192.168.1.100 and there is room for 25. I also put in the Standard
Gateway at 192.168.1.1.

Still no go. Cannot connect. Have uninstalled and reinstalled the D_Link
driver

I'm getting a little frustrated.

Stuart

"Axel Dahmen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Ah, I see... That's interesting news! So the DHCP server actually seems to
work. It's just your laptop's WLAN card that's not correctly acquiring an IP
address.... Hmmm...

Well, in that case you don't have to turn off DHCP. You might just want to
try to set a fixed IP address to your laptop. As you probably already know,
this IP address must be within the range of your router's network and it
shouldn't already have been assigned to any of your other machines. Also
don't forget to set the router's IP address in the laptop's "Standard
Gateway" field.

Did you check your router's DHCP IP address range? Did you set the range
broad enough to support more than a few machines?

If that isn't the reason, then I guess Barb's right: There's something wrong
with your D-Link WLAN driver or your laptop installation.

HTH,
Axel Dahmen



 
Reply With Quote
 
Barb Bowman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-20-2008
unless you changed the setting, the defaults for DLink routers are
192.168.0.xxx

so if you assigned 192.168.1.xx and a gateway of 1.1 instead of 0.1
you would have issues.

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 16:18:47 +0200, "Stuart Grant"
<sagranatbluewin.ch> wrote:

>Sorry for the delay but I have been trying over and over to check the
>settings. I changed over to trying to use the D-Link Utility instead of
>Windows.
>I assigned a fixed IP address of 192.168 1.104. The possible IP addresses
>start at 192.168.1.100 and there is room for 25. I also put in the Standard
>Gateway at 192.168.1.1.
>
>Still no go. Cannot connect. Have uninstalled and reinstalled the D_Link
>driver
>
>I'm getting a little frustrated.
>
>Stuart
>
>"Axel Dahmen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>Ah, I see... That's interesting news! So the DHCP server actually seems to
>work. It's just your laptop's WLAN card that's not correctly acquiring an IP
>address.... Hmmm...
>
>Well, in that case you don't have to turn off DHCP. You might just want to
>try to set a fixed IP address to your laptop. As you probably already know,
>this IP address must be within the range of your router's network and it
>shouldn't already have been assigned to any of your other machines. Also
>don't forget to set the router's IP address in the laptop's "Standard
>Gateway" field.
>
>Did you check your router's DHCP IP address range? Did you set the range
>broad enough to support more than a few machines?
>
>If that isn't the reason, then I guess Barb's right: There's something wrong
>with your D-Link WLAN driver or your laptop installation.
>
>HTH,
>Axel Dahmen
>
>

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Stuart Grant
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-21-2008
Barb

Thanks for jumping in again.

The card in the Laptop is a D-Link DWL G650 but the router is a Linksys
WAG54GS and the Gateway setting is 192.168.1.1.

Stuart

"Barb Bowman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> unless you changed the setting, the defaults for DLink routers are
> 192.168.0.xxx
>
> so if you assigned 192.168.1.xx and a gateway of 1.1 instead of 0.1
> you would have issues.
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS-MVP
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cannot connect wirelessly Chris Bondy Wireless Networking 4 10-09-2008 11:37 PM
laptop won't connect wirelessly chavrik Wireless Networking 3 11-14-2007 04:45 PM
WXP Cannot Get IE7 to Connect Wirelessly Steve Herbein Wireless Networking 2 07-28-2007 06:30 PM
Win XP Pro New Account User Cannot Connect Wirelessly? =?Utf-8?B?R2Vycnl3?= Wireless Networking 0 07-09-2007 11:10 AM
How to run 2 computers wirelessly from 20+ feet away from the wall outlet wirelessly? Cymbal Man Freq. Wireless Networking 3 06-04-2005 11:16 AM



Advertisments