Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Filters not fitting my Nikkor 18-55 lens

Filters not fitting my Nikkor 18-55 lens

nickravo1@gmail.com

Just bought a D80 with an 18-55 MM AF-S DX Nikkor lens. I also bought
a few 55 mm filters and lens hoods and there sems to be no way to
attach them to the end of this lens. What an I doing wrong?

Claude V. Lucas

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>Just bought a D80 with an 18-55 MM AF-S DX Nikkor lens. I also bought
>a few 55 mm filters and lens hoods and there sems to be no way to
>attach them to the end of this lens. What an I doing wrong?

My 18-55 AF-S DX Nikkor lens takes a 52MM filter...

YMMV.

Jer

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Just bought a D80 with an 18-55 MM AF-S DX Nikkor lens. I also bought
> a few 55 mm filters and lens hoods and there sems to be no way to
> attach them to the end of this lens. What an I doing wrong?

Use a bigger hammer. Repeatedly.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Allen

Jer wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Just bought a D80 with an 18-55 MM AF-S DX Nikkor lens. I also bought
>> a few 55 mm filters and lens hoods and there sems to be no way to
>> attach them to the end of this lens. What an I doing wrong?

> Use a bigger hammer. Repeatedly.

On the lens? The filter? His head? His typing hand? All the above?
Perhaps he should try an 18 mm filter and see if that works. Or read the
camera specs.
Allen

nickravo1@gmail.com

On Mar 28, 12:55*am, Allen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Jer wrote:
> > (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >> Just bought a D80 with an 18-55 MM AF-S DX Nikkor lens. I also bought
> >> a few 55 mm filters and lens hoods and there sems to be no way to
> >> attach them to the end of this lens. What an I doing wrong?

> > Use a bigger hammer. *Repeatedly.

> On the lens? The filter? His head? His typing hand? All the above?
> Perhaps he should try an 18 mm filter and see if that works. Or read the
> camera specs.
> Allen

Anybody besides these tools have an answer.

me@mine.net

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 13:13:46 -0700 (PDT), in rec.photo.digital

>On Mar 28, 12:55*am, Allen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Jer wrote:

>> > Use a bigger hammer. *Repeatedly.

>> On the lens? The filter? His head? His typing hand? All the above?
>> Perhaps he should try an 18 mm filter and see if that works. Or read the
>> camera specs.
>> Allen

>Anybody besides these tools have an answer.

As someone else has all ready pointed out. 55mm is the maximum focal length
of the lens. NOT the dia of the objective.

If you look at the manual for the lens or the Nikon site for this lens
http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Ni...20ED%20II.html
Click on the Tech Specs tab.

You will see the filter and attachment size is 52mm.

Jürgen Exner

>Just bought a D80 with an 18-55 MM AF-S DX Nikkor lens. I also bought
>a few 55 mm filters and lens hoods and there sems to be no way to
>attach them to the end of this lens. What an I doing wrong?

Why did you buy 55mm filters and hood for a lens that has a 52mm filter
and attachement thread?

From the tech specs of that that lens:
Filter Size: 52mm
Lens Attachment Size: 52mm

jue

Jack

"(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:58ce56de-1f5e-
(E-Mail Removed):

> On Mar 28, 12:55*am, Allen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Jer wrote:

Your lens requires a 52mm filter, not 55mm.

Randy Berbaum

news:Xns9A6EC6B931286forrmarkyahoocom@216.196.97.1 36...
> "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:58ce56de-1f5e-
> (E-Mail Removed):

> Your lens requires a 52mm filter, not 55mm.

One suggestion so that all your purchased items don't go entirely to waste.
purchase a 55mm to 52mm filter converter. Be sure to get the converter that
converts from 55mm filter to a 52mm lens (and not the other way around).
Then you can leave the converter on the front of the lens and all your
purchased filters and hoods will work fine.

I actually did this on purpose. I have two lenses I use regularly with two
different filter sizes. Instead of purchasing two different sets of common
use filters I chose the larger filter size of the two lenses, and purchased
the filters to fit that, and then I got a converter for the smaller filter
size lens. Thus both lenses now take the same filter size. Works for me
(make your own decision if this will work for you).

Randy

Roy G

"Claude V. Lucas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:47eb14a8$0$36362$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Just bought a D80 with an 18-55 MM AF-S DX Nikkor lens. I also bought
>>a few 55 mm filters and lens hoods and there sems to be no way to
>>attach them to the end of this lens. What an I doing wrong?

> My 18-55 AF-S DX Nikkor lens takes a 52MM filter...
>
> YMMV.

Why would anyone buy more than one lens hood for any lens, unless it was for
a very wide range Zoom.

Roy G