Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Installing Win XP on an external drive

Reply
Thread Tools

Installing Win XP on an external drive

 
 
Ronald Murray
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-27-2008
Hello
I have a laptop hard drive that I want to install Win XP on it for a laptop.
I have a USB to IDE cable.
The hard drive is recognized in My Computer.
I can format it. When I put the OS cd in the drive , it wants to install it
on my desktop hard drive.
Can I install this on Drive F instead of on Drive C
TIA
ron


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Kevin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-27-2008

"Ronald Murray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:E9CGj.515$9X3.99@edtnps82...
> Hello
> I have a laptop hard drive that I want to install Win XP on it for a
> laptop. I have a USB to IDE cable.
> The hard drive is recognized in My Computer.
> I can format it. When I put the OS cd in the drive , it wants to install
> it on my desktop hard drive.
> Can I install this on Drive F instead of on Drive C
> TIA
> ron


No. Windows doesn't like it when you try to install it on external drives.
It wants to be on the primary partition designated as the C drive.


--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
- Bobb -
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-29-2008

"Kevin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:47ec070a$0$26121$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>
> "Ronald Murray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:E9CGj.515$9X3.99@edtnps82...
>> Hello
>> I have a laptop hard drive that I want to install Win XP on it for a
>> laptop. I have a USB to IDE cable.
>> The hard drive is recognized in My Computer.
>> I can format it. When I put the OS cd in the drive , it wants to
>> install it on my desktop hard drive.
>> Can I install this on Drive F instead of on Drive C
>> TIA
>> ron


Does your PC even have an option to boot to usb drive in BIOS ?

 
Reply With Quote
 
jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-29-2008
On 29 Mar, 14:21, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
> "Kevin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:47ec070a$0$26121$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>
>
>
> > "Ronald Murray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:E9CGj.515$9X3.99@edtnps82...
> >> Hello
> >> I have a laptop hard drive that I want to install Win XP on it for a
> >> laptop. I have a USB to IDE cable.
> >> The hard drive is recognized in My Computer.
> >> I can format it. When I put the OS cd in the drive , it wants to
> >> install it on my desktop hard drive.
> >> Can I install this on Drive F instead of on Drive C
> >> TIA
> >> ron

>
> Does your PC even have an option to boot to usb drive in BIOS ?



It's actually a common option.

Did you ever consider that he might be trying to boot off an IDE
drive, and then loading windows off a USB drive? (thus he would not
need to boot off a usb drive/disk).

Installing windows onto a USB drive, and Booting windows xp off a USB
drive.. I think both can be done, but have a number of
technicalities.

There is actually this site with a forum , that goes into it.

http://forums.ngine.de/viewforum.php...1fbd7df706e113

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Applet to run on Win 98, Win ME, Win XP, Win Vista & Win 7 ?? Krist Java 6 05-06-2010 11:53 PM
Win XP not recognizing new USB external (internal in case) drive Keith Carlson Computer Support 11 01-30-2006 04:33 AM
Installing an External floppy drive Robert Computer Support 10 11-21-2005 07:31 PM
Installing Win XP from an external dvd-drive? D. van der Maarn Computer Support 5 09-16-2005 01:20 PM
Installing Win XP drivers on an Win 98 PC Jerry Rivers Computer Support 4 01-03-2004 07:25 PM



Advertisments