Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > A plea for sanity!

A plea for sanity!

Ian Collins

Can we please stop these pantomime oh yes it is, oh no it isn't
topicality wars?

If someone asks an off topic question, sent them on their way with a
polite redirect.

If someone posts information you thing is off topic, treat it as if it
is spam and ignore it. All the pantomime bickering produces is noise.

The noise in here is becoming deafening.

--
Ian Collins.

jacob navia

Ian Collins wrote:
> Can we please stop these pantomime oh yes it is, oh no it isn't
> topicality wars?
>
> If someone asks an off topic question, sent them on their way with a
> polite redirect.
>
> If someone posts information you thing is off topic, treat it as if it
> is spam and ignore it. All the pantomime bickering produces is noise.
>
> The noise in here is becoming deafening.

OFF TOPIC OFF TOPIC!

"pantomine bickering" is not in the C standard.

--
jacob navia
jacob at jacob point remcomp point fr

Richard

Ian Collins <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Can we please stop these pantomime oh yes it is, oh no it isn't
> topicality wars?
>
> If someone asks an off topic question, sent them on their way with a
> polite redirect.

better : just ignore it. The worst thing is you and others racing each
other to see who can post the most "polite rebukes" in a single day. It
is ridiculous. Don't think its on topic - ignore it. I have seen "OT
posts" garner as many as 10 same level "this is c.l.c, your NG is down
the road on the left" net nanny rebukes. And I don't hold that they didn't
know about the other replies - this is 2008 not 1974.

> If someone posts information you thing is off topic, treat it as if it
> is spam and ignore it. All the pantomime bickering produces is noise.

You got that right.

> The noise in here is becoming deafening.

What? Speak up.

Mark McIntyre

Ian Collins wrote:

> The noise in here is becoming deafening.

I find that killfiling morons like Navia, and threadplonking any thread
he posts more than once into on the principle that he's merely trolling
for flamewars to stoke his overweening ego and fuel his paranoia,
significantly quietens it down.

--
Mark McIntyre

CLC FAQ <http://c-faq.com/>

Richard

Mark McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Ian Collins wrote:
>
>> The noise in here is becoming deafening.

> I find that killfiling morons like Navia, and threadplonking any
> thread he posts more than once into on the principle that he's merely
> trolling for flamewars to stoke his overweening ego and fuel his
> paranoia, significantly quietens it down.

The irony is palpable.

Eric Sosman

Mark McIntyre wrote:
> Ian Collins wrote:
>
>> The noise in here is becoming deafening.

> I find that killfiling morons like Navia, and threadplonking any thread
> he posts more than once into on the principle that he's merely trolling
> for flamewars to stoke his overweening ego and fuel his paranoia,
> significantly quietens it down.

Killfiling Navia isn't a good idea, because he's not an
actual moron. (My killfile has discriminating tastes: It will
accept only *genuine* morons.) Also, killfiling Navia doesn't
work because he has an unusual ability to engender lengthy and
vituperative threads into which nearly everyone is drawn, perhaps
by a sense of outrage; killfile Navia and you'll just read him as
quoted by anyone else you care to mention.

Your second suggestion, though, has merit: Killfile the
threads in which he becomes too obstreporous. I started doing
that yesterday, and the noise level has already dropped
measurably.

--
Eric Sosman

Richard Harter

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:19:37 +1300, Ian Collins
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Can we please stop these pantomime oh yes it is, oh no it isn't
>topicality wars?
>
>If someone asks an off topic question, sent them on their way with a
>polite redirect.
>
>If someone posts information you thing is off topic, treat it as if it
>is spam and ignore it. All the pantomime bickering produces is noise.
>
>The noise in here is becoming deafening.

I appreciate your sentiment but you're ****ing against the wind.
There are far too many anal-rentative obsessive control freaks in
the newsgroup. They will not let it go and will cannot let it
go. The social dynamics will not change; the pattern is set.
Deal with it however you like. My advice, such as it is, is to
ruthlessly skip the rubbish.

Richard Harter, (E-Mail Removed)
http://home.tiac.net/~cri, http://www.varinoma.com
Save the Earth now!!
It's the only planet with chocolate.

Gerry Ford

"Richard Harter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:19:37 +1300, Ian Collins
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Can we please stop these pantomime oh yes it is, oh no it isn't
>>topicality wars?
>>
>>If someone asks an off topic question, sent them on their way with a
>>polite redirect.
>>
>>If someone posts information you thing is off topic, treat it as if it
>>is spam and ignore it. All the pantomime bickering produces is noise.
>>
>>The noise in here is becoming deafening.

> I appreciate your sentiment but you're ****ing against the wind.
> There are far too many anal-rentative obsessive control freaks in
> the newsgroup. They will not let it go and will cannot let it
> go. The social dynamics will not change; the pattern is set.
> Deal with it however you like. My advice, such as it is, is to
> ruthlessly skip the rubbish.

There's always the central drama with "the regs" and topicality. What's
going on with all the spam? I'm hit and run with newsgroups and that stuff
just clogs my newsreader. If someone can give information about the german
flights spammer, I can do what I can to ruin his day.
--

"I am waiting for them to prove that God is really American."

~~ Lawrence Ferlinghetti

Antoninus Twink

On 26 Mar 2008 at 22:19, Ian Collins wrote:
> Can we please stop these pantomime oh yes it is, oh no it isn't
> topicality wars?
>
> If someone posts information you thing is off topic, treat it as if it
> is spam and ignore it. All the pantomime bickering produces is noise.
>
> The noise in here is becoming deafening.

It's great to see a regular coming across to "our" point of view. The
Clique's obsession with topicality has been disastrous for this group,
and I whole-heartedly agree with Ian that everyone should just get on
with making their contributions and not criticize others for making
theirs because of a different view of topicality.

Default User

Eric Sosman wrote:

> Mark McIntyre wrote:
> > Ian Collins wrote:
> >
> > > The noise in here is becoming deafening.

> > I find that killfiling morons like Navia, and threadplonking any
> > thread he posts more than once into on the principle that he's
> > merely trolling for flamewars to stoke his overweening ego and
> > fuel his paranoia, significantly quietens it down.

> Killfiling Navia isn't a good idea, because he's not an
> actual moron.

I disagree. He's become worse, with the accusations of persecution.

> Also, killfiling Navia doesn't
> work because he has an unusual ability to engender lengthy and
> vituperative threads into which nearly everyone is drawn, perhaps
> by a sense of outrage; killfile Navia and you'll just read him as
> quoted by anyone else you care to mention.

When I'm particularly tired of his crap, I employ the filter that
deletes any post with "jacob" or "navia" in it.

Brian