Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Looking for: 8GB Memory kit (4GBx2), SODIMM, DDR2, NON-ECC for a laptop!

Looking for: 8GB Memory kit (4GBx2), SODIMM, DDR2, NON-ECC for a laptop!

Spin

Gurus,

Maybe it's just me. But I can't seem to find a certain type of Memory on the
Internet. Looking for: 8GB Memory kit (4GBx2), SODIMM, DDR2, NON-ECC for a
laptop! (This laptop is going to do autocad btw). Go ahead and put this
into a search engine search field and you'll come up with all sorts of hits
related to ECC RAM, desktop memory, 4GB memory (line 2GBx2), etc...not
exactly what I need.

--
Spin

why?

x-post trimmed to 24HSHD from
24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.sys.laptops,misc.forsa le.computers.memory

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 18:16:42 -0400, Spin wrote:

>Gurus,
>
>Maybe it's just me. But I can't seem to find a certain type of Memory on the

>Internet. Looking for: 8GB Memory kit (4GBx2), SODIMM, DDR2, NON-ECC for a
>laptop! (This laptop is going to do autocad btw). Go ahead and put this
>into a search engine search field and you'll come up with all sorts of hits

I would much rather put the laptop model details into

www.crucial.com
www.kingston.com

Run / download the config memory scanners provided and see what's found.

>related to ECC RAM, desktop memory, 4GB memory (line 2GBx2), etc...not
>exactly what I need.

Me

ded

"Spin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Gurus,
>
> Maybe it's just me. But I can't seem to find a certain type of Memory on
> the Internet. Looking for: 8GB Memory kit (4GBx2), SODIMM, DDR2, NON-ECC
> for a laptop! (This laptop is going to do autocad btw). Go ahead and put
> this into a search engine search field and you'll come up with all sorts
> of hits related to ECC RAM, desktop memory, 4GB memory (line 2GBx2),
> etc...not exactly what I need.
>
> --
> Spin

What laptop do you have that could accommadate 8gb of RAM?
The laptop's MoBo dictates the capacity/configuration of installed
RAM, unless it has 4 sockets of 2gb capacity each, you ain't going
to install 8gb of RAM.
And what operating system will you be running on such a
sooper-dooper laptop - XP won't recognise much over 3.25gb
of RAM, thats what the swap and page file are for.
Same with Vista 32 bit, it too will only see approx 3.2 of RAM.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605

Vista 64 bit can *see* (and use) RAM above 4gb, but depends
on which version of Vista 64 bit.
As for running AutoCAD, you do mean AutoDesk's AutoCAD right?
Well that only runs on MS operating systems, not Apple, not Linux.
And I maybe wrong as I only had a brief look but there dosen't
seem to be a version of AutoCAD for Vista 64 bit.
You need to do some homework, it is extremely doubtful that
you have a MoBo that can accommadate 8gb of RAM, the fact
you state you want 2 x 4gb modules indicates only two sockets,
so the absolute max capacity of that laptop is 4gb, but unlikely
to be even that in a laptops MoBo sockets - check it out first.

Pen

Spin wrote:
> Gurus,
>
> Maybe it's just me. But I can't seem to find a certain type of Memory on the
> Internet. Looking for: 8GB Memory kit (4GBx2), SODIMM, DDR2, NON-ECC for a
> laptop! (This laptop is going to do autocad btw). Go ahead and put this
> into a search engine search field and you'll come up with all sorts of hits
> related to ECC RAM, desktop memory, 4GB memory (line 2GBx2), etc...not
> exactly what I need.
>
> --
> Spin

It's not you, it's the makers. The only 4GB modules are 240 pin,
registered and ECC for servers and cost about $380 each.

L.E. Funt

you dont have anything to put it in

"Spin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Gurus,
>
> Maybe it's just me. But I can't seem to find a certain type of Memory on
> the Internet. Looking for: 8GB Memory kit (4GBx2), SODIMM, DDR2, NON-ECC
> for a laptop! (This laptop is going to do autocad btw). Go ahead and put
> this into a search engine search field and you'll come up with all sorts
> of hits related to ECC RAM, desktop memory, 4GB memory (line 2GBx2),
> etc...not exactly what I need.
>
> --
> Spin

hyyang.physics@gmail.com

HP's 8510w and 8710w support 8G memory which costs more than 1000$.

On 3月27日, 上午6时16分, "Spin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Gurus,
>
> Maybe it's just me. But I can't seem to find a certain type of Memory on the
> Internet. Looking for: 8GB Memory kit (4GBx2), SODIMM, DDR2, NON-ECC for a
> laptop! (This laptop is going to do autocad btw). Go ahead and put this
> into a search engine search field and you'll come up with all sorts of hits
> related to ECC RAM, desktop memory, 4GB memory (line 2GBx2), etc...not
> exactly what I need.
>
> --
> Spin

Spin

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
HP's 8510w and 8710w support 8G memory which costs more than 1000$.

What type of memory is that? (# PINS, ECC/NON, speed, etc..

why?

x-post cut to 24HSHD.

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 12:29:33 -0400, Spin wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>HP's 8510w and 8710w support 8G memory which costs more than 1000$.
>
>What type of memory is that? (# PINS, ECC/NON, speed, etc..

Lazy today?

www.google.com using HP's 8510w finds a link (the 1st one) to hp.com
with the specs.

Memory
1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / 4 GB 667 MHz DDR
SDRAM Upgradeable to 8 GB maximum (4 GB SODIMM in Slots 1 and 2)
Memory slots 2 SODIMM slots

Accessories tab, Memory (no really, it is) for other info.

Or

From previous post http://www.crucial.com/
Put this in the search box
HP Compaq 8510w

4096MB
CT711772 HP - Compaq Business Notebook 8510w Mobile Workstation
DDR2 PC2-5300 CL=5 Unbuffered NON-ECC DDR2-667 1.8V
256Meg x 64

4096MB
CT768394 HP - Compaq Business Notebook 8510w Mobile Workstation
DDR2 PC2-6400 CL=6 Unbuffered NON-ECC DDR2-800 1.8V
256Meg x 64

If it's a really lazy day, clicking on the spec links, you get the pins.

4GB kit (2GBx2), 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400 memory module

Me

hyyang.physics@gmail.com

It seems to be normal ddr 2 667 ram for laptop and you can configure
them in HP's website to 8GB kit.
I do not know who make these sticks.