Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Will ECC memory work in system which is supposed to take non-ECC?

Will ECC memory work in system which is supposed to take non-ECC?

Spin

Gurus,

I recently ordered a 64bit Windows OS laptop from Dell. My question is,
will ECC memory work in system which is supposed to take non-ECC?

--
Spin

Colin Barnhorst

Check with the mobo manufacturer.

"Spin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Gurus,
>
> I recently ordered a 64bit Windows OS laptop from Dell. My question is,
> will ECC memory work in system which is supposed to take non-ECC?
>
> --
> Spin

Theo

You'll have to talk to the manufacturer of the mb. That's
strictly a hardware problem, not an operating system problem.

Spin wrote:
> Gurus,
>
> I recently ordered a 64bit Windows OS laptop from Dell. My question is,
> will ECC memory work in system which is supposed to take non-ECC?
>
> --
> Spin

andy

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 15:12:57 -0400, "Spin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Gurus,
>
>I recently ordered a 64bit Windows OS laptop from Dell. My question is,
>will ECC memory work in system which is supposed to take non-ECC?

Yes. The memory parity bits would not be connected to anything, so
it's as if they don't exist.

Stefan Pendl

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 15:12:57 -0400, "Spin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Gurus,
>
>I recently ordered a 64bit Windows OS laptop from Dell. My question is,
>will ECC memory work in system which is supposed to take non-ECC?

This heavily depends on the BIOS, some do permit it others not.
I have had some machines, where I was not able to use ECC RAM only
non-ECC.

---
Stefan Pendl