Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > After I try latest of Netbean and Eclipse I wonder if have Anotherbeter IDE?

Reply
Thread Tools

After I try latest of Netbean and Eclipse I wonder if have Anotherbeter IDE?

 
 
Lew
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-27-2008
RedGrittyBrick wrote:
>> Eclipse too does


Mark Space wrote:
> That's pretty much NetBeans feature list also. Both of these programs
> seem very similar in basic editing capabilities. Usually there is one
> crucial plug-in for some type of specific task that one IDE has that the
> other lacks, which determines perference.


NetBeans and Eclipse (and their commercial offspring) are similar in feature
sets, but very different in style. Likely one or the other will suit one's
style better.

Eclipse drives me crazy; I despise it, and the commercial products based on
it. That does not make them bad products, only products that I, personally,
despise. [1]

I have been using WebSphere Application Developer, Rational Application
Developer and other Rational products for years, all Eclipse-powered. Not
just a little, either - I live inside these products all day long at work.

I love NetBeans. I also love sushi and spinach, products many people hate.

Plugins have absolutely nothing to do with my preference. It's the
fundamental style of the IDEs. Eclipse does too much under the hood that it
won't let me override, it's too removed from Ant-based builds, and it's too
far removed from the file system. NetBeans seems to me more straightforward,
easier to lay out the various panes, and to impose less IDE-specific garbage
on a project, so that it fits better with group build strategies. It's also
easier to separate out the IDE-specific garbage from NB projects than from
Eclipse.

That said, Eclipse is extremely feature-rich and extensible, and integrates
quite well with its enterprise server testbeds.

[1] All right, yes, it makes them bad products.

--
Lew
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
EricF
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-27-2008
In article <Z6xGj.2648$(E-Mail Removed)>, Mark Space <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>CK wrote:
>> Words to the wise, Mark Space <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> mttc wrote:
>>>> I use with VS2005 of microsoft. I want to move to JAVA. bu I try
>>>> Eclipse and I disappointment. the IDE is crash from time totime and
>>>> It's not campareable with VS. I try also Netbean. but I think that
>>>> JAVA worth for beter IDE.
>>>> So what is the best IDE (even commercial)?
>>> NetBeans is the best that I have tried. What did you not like about it?

>>
>> Try IntelliJ.

>
>Could you tell me what you think IntelliJ does better than NetBeans?
>(Or what IntelliJ does well, if you don't know NetBeans.) I like NB a
>lot but I'm always on the look out for productivity enhancers.
>
>How does IntelliJ work for things other than straight Java? Does it work
>for C, C++ and PHP? Does it have templates for projects like plain web
>apps (JSP/Servlets), Struts, JSF? What about adding other downloaded
>objects like Dojo and JMaki to a web app?
>
>I haven't tried any code weaving with NetBeans but that might be next.


I much prefer IntelliJ over Eclipse, enough to pay for it. I haven't looked at
NetBeans in quite a while so can't compare the 2.

IntelliJ is not a general IDE. It was created in Java for Java. It is starting
to support some of the newer dynamic languages; the newest versions support
Groovy and Rails.

It has templates for web apps, j2ee, struts and jsf support. Dunno about Dojo
or JMaki.

I prefer it because it is relatively stable and has an intelligent UI. The
learning curve is relatively low.

Eric
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mark Space
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-27-2008
I think it's neat that there are so many choice available right now.
It's a wonder to me that both NetBeans and Eclipse can be so feature
rich and also a free download.

But if a pay-for IDE can provide some substantial features, I'd love to
know about it.

EricF wrote:

> I much prefer IntelliJ over Eclipse, enough to pay for it. I haven't looked at
> NetBeans in quite a while so can't compare the 2.
>
> IntelliJ is not a general IDE. It was created in Java for Java. It is starting
> to support some of the newer dynamic languages; the newest versions support
> Groovy and Rails.


I see you didn't mention C and C++. When I tried NetBeans, I pointed it
at my Cygwin install (that's a Unix style environment running on
Windows) and NetBeans took it. It uses it's own editor, the C and C++
compiler in Cygwin, and either Ant or make. I was in heaven.

Open source products with a lot of support frequently have support for
crazy configurations like Cygwin that commercial products have a hard
time justifying support for.

>
> It has templates for web apps, j2ee, struts and jsf support. Dunno about Dojo
> or JMaki.


Dojo and JMaki are libraries that support client side widgets for web
2.0. You load them onto your JSP or PHP page, run it and they put neat
little Javascript widgets on the browser. NetBeans has a pallet for
them so I can just drag and drop them into layouts or even right into a
text file I'm editing. It'd darn cool.


>
> I prefer it because it is relatively stable and has an intelligent UI. The
> learning curve is relatively low.


I'm still interested in features, if you're willing to talk about them,
or even point me at a web page with tutorials, I'd like to take a look
at it.

This post is more pro-NetBeans than I intended. I really don't want to
start any editor wars. It's just nice little features that I've found
in NetBeans that it great to use, and comparisons are valid I think if
one wants to have earnest discussion.
 
Reply With Quote
 
mttc
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-27-2008
I have to read all responds, thanks all.
I ask: "So my wonder why all guys talking about Eclipse?" I refer to
All big company that base his product on Eclipse (like IBM, Adobe).
from my view point I wonder why all of these company not spend more to
make Eclipse the best enviroment. I not understand why Borland stop
his IDE while the Eclipse is not yet Stable environment. and for me
the Style of Eclipse is not intuitive and not attract. it's seem thet
OpenSource wasting power on many paraller project instead focus on
Ultimate one IDE (as we see on PHP and Rubi and JSP).
 
Reply With Quote
 
Christian
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-27-2008
mttc schrieb:
> I have to read all responds, thanks all.
> I ask: "So my wonder why all guys talking about Eclipse?" I refer to
> All big company that base his product on Eclipse (like IBM, Adobe).
> from my view point I wonder why all of these company not spend more to
> make Eclipse the best enviroment. I not understand why Borland stop
> his IDE while the Eclipse is not yet Stable environment. and for me
> the Style of Eclipse is not intuitive and not attract. it's seem thet
> OpenSource wasting power on many paraller project instead focus on
> Ultimate one IDE (as we see on PHP and Rubi and JSP).


May be you are rather one of the few people that experienced a crash.

I can't think of any crash of eclipse IDE in since I started using it.
For me thats stable!

Do you have some strange configuration?

Christian
 
Reply With Quote
 
mttc
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-27-2008
No, I install the latest Erupa with no plugin. the crash occur when I
try to add text file to project (for input file). Also for my flavor
this IDE have somthing unconvinced. it's difficult for me to point it
out. Why not have Open project command (I west about two hour until I
find the import command), why debugger switch to another perspective
(I thing this solve only on very current version).


Also I expect from IDE that make indented totally automatically (VB on
VS). Also I have prefer to not allow case sensative even the lenguge
allow this(VB on VS correct the Upper case according the decleration).
And also when I change name of variable on the declaration statment,
it's rename the name on all his scope.

I know that guys say: Java is not VB, you are not understand.. and so
on. but if you have to be honnest these thing is rapid your work.

I try also the Netbean and I very disappointed, there no have list of
error!
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Space
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-28-2008
mttc wrote:
> No, I install the latest Erupa with no plugin. the crash occur when I


What's Erupa?

> try to add text file to project (for input file). Also for my flavor
> this IDE have somthing unconvinced. it's difficult for me to point it
> out. Why not have Open project command (I west about two hour until I


Two hours! Lol.....


> Also I expect from IDE that make indented totally automatically (VB on


Didn't we just get done having a huge discussion about how Eclipse does
this?

> VS). Also I have prefer to not allow case sensative even the lenguge
> allow this(VB on VS correct the Upper case according the decleration).


Case has been commented on before, by other folks. It's an issue for
some, not for many.


> I know that guys say: Java is not VB, you are not understand.. and so
> on. but if you have to be honnest these thing is rapid your work.


My work is rapid. I'm sorry your's is not, but you have to put some
effort into learning or your work will never be fast.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lew
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-28-2008
mttc wrote:
>> VS). Also I have prefer to not allow case sensative even the lenguge
>> allow this(VB on VS correct the Upper case according the decleration).


The Java language not only allows case sensitivity, it requires it.

Mark Space wrote:
> Case has been commented on before, by other folks. It's an issue for
> some, not for many.


Case matters in Java.

>> I know that guys say: Java is not VB, you are not understand.. and so
>> on. but if you have to be honnest these thing is rapid your work.


> My work is rapid. I'm sorry your's is not, but you have to put some
> effort into learning or your work will never be fast.


That is true of all tools, the more so for worthwhile ones.

--
Lew
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Space
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-28-2008
Lew wrote:
> mttc wrote:
>>> VS). Also I have prefer to not allow case sensative even the lenguge
>>> allow this(VB on VS correct the Upper case according the decleration).

>
> The Java language not only allows case sensitivity, it requires it.
>
> Mark Space wrote:
>> Case has been commented on before, by other folks. It's an issue for
>> some, not for many.

>
> Case matters in Java.


He's saying the IDE should ignore case when looking for identifier names
for completion. Some Visual Microsoft product does this, I guess, and
it's trained a lot of coders to expect the feature. I can see where it
could be handy, but I'm used to case-sensitive completion so I tend to
adjust for it with out thinking about it.

NetBeans claims to have something called camel-case completion, where it
can figure out the class name from *just* the capital letters in the
class name. Like String would be S and ArrayList would be AL. I've
never used it, but it sounds cool.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Schilling
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-28-2008
Mark Space wrote:
> Lew wrote:
>> mttc wrote:
>>>> VS). Also I have prefer to not allow case sensative even the
>>>> lenguge allow this(VB on VS correct the Upper case according the
>>>> decleration).

>>
>> The Java language not only allows case sensitivity, it requires it.
>>
>> Mark Space wrote:
>>> Case has been commented on before, by other folks. It's an issue
>>> for some, not for many.

>>
>> Case matters in Java.

>
> He's saying the IDE should ignore case when looking for identifier
> names for completion. Some Visual Microsoft product does this, I
> guess, and it's trained a lot of coders to expect the feature. I
> can
> see where it could be handy, but I'm used to case-sensitive
> completion so I tend to adjust for it with out thinking about it.


Intellij ignores case when you're trying to find a class by name. (You
type in the first N letters and it will display all that match, case
ignored.) I like that very much, especially since some classes are
named with what seems to me to be the wrong casing (not JDK classes so
much as user ones.)


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using Netbean IDE for writing/compiling/debugging apps without using Project bagarow@yahoo.com Java 6 05-11-2006 02:53 PM
NETBEAN IDE gk Java 3 04-18-2006 05:37 AM
Can I have a second TRY inside the first TRY/CATCH in ASP.NET ??? bienwell ASP .Net 4 05-27-2005 05:05 PM
Try, Try, Try, again... Rick12N4@netscape.net Computer Support 3 01-29-2005 04:02 PM
Netbean Questions Webby Java 0 04-23-2004 09:12 PM



Advertisments