Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > executing my application outside the IDE does not work

Reply
Thread Tools

executing my application outside the IDE does not work

 
 
marcussilfver@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-26-2008
Hello
I have application code that runs fine when executed from inside
Eclipse IDE.
However when I make a jar "myApp.jar" out of it then the jar does not
run. If I however remove a certain object of a certain class C from my
code and generates a new "myApp.jar", then the new jar runs fine
aswell.

The class C which I remove from the code to make it work is located in
an external jar "x.jar".
Inside the IDE, I have included x.jar in the buildpath of the project.

My thought is that the class C is not found in runtime when executing
"myApp.jar".

Where should I put the x.jar for the JRE to find when executing
myApp.jar?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Donkey Hot
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-26-2008
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:d6ad2e8f-d687-4048-8f22-44746f7cd069
@t54g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

> Hello
> I have application code that runs fine when executed from inside
> Eclipse IDE.
> However when I make a jar "myApp.jar" out of it then the jar does not
> run. If I however remove a certain object of a certain class C from my
> code and generates a new "myApp.jar", then the new jar runs fine
> aswell.
>
> The class C which I remove from the code to make it work is located in
> an external jar "x.jar".
> Inside the IDE, I have included x.jar in the buildpath of the project.
>
> My thought is that the class C is not found in runtime when executing
> "myApp.jar".
>
> Where should I put the x.jar for the JRE to find when executing
> myApp.jar?


To the classpath

java -cp .;/path/to/the/x.jar;/possible/other/jars -jar myApp.jar

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lionel van den Berg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-26-2008
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 03:44:35 -0700, marcussilfver wrote:

> Hello
> I have application code that runs fine when executed from inside Eclipse
> IDE.
> However when I make a jar "myApp.jar" out of it then the jar does not
> run. If I however remove a certain object of a certain class C from my
> code and generates a new "myApp.jar", then the new jar runs fine aswell.
>
> The class C which I remove from the code to make it work is located in
> an external jar "x.jar".
> Inside the IDE, I have included x.jar in the buildpath of the project.
>
> My thought is that the class C is not found in runtime when executing
> "myApp.jar".
>
> Where should I put the x.jar for the JRE to find when executing
> myApp.jar?



Do a search for jar mainifest. That should tell you how to include x.jar
in the classpath and make your jar file double clickable.

I'm surprised Eclipse doesn't do this for you, or maybe it does but you
aren't packaging it correctly after.

For example, taking a similar approach as you have in Netbeans will
create myApp.jar (horrible name) and put it in dist/. It will also put
dependencies in the relative directory lib/, that is, dist/lib/. You can
then copy the contents of dist/ anywhere and it will run.

Check out what is in bin/ in Eclipse.

Lionel.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lew
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-26-2008
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I have application code that runs fine when executed from inside
>> Eclipse IDE.
>> However when I make a jar "myApp.jar" out of it then the jar does not
>> run. If I however remove a certain object of a certain class C from my
>> code and generates a new "myApp.jar", then the new jar runs fine
>> aswell.
>>
>> The class C which I remove from the code to make it work is located in
>> an external jar "x.jar".
>> Inside the IDE, I have included x.jar in the buildpath of the project.
>>
>> My thought is that the class C is not found in runtime when executing
>> "myApp.jar".
>>
>> Where should I put the x.jar for the JRE to find when executing
>> myApp.jar?


Donkey Hot wrote:
> To the classpath
>
> java -cp .;/path/to/the/x.jar;/possible/other/jars -jar myApp.jar


There's no point in putting a -cp option there if you use -jar. The classpath
will be completely ignored due to the -jar option.

<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/solaris/java.html>
> When you use this option [-jar], the JAR file is the source of all user classes,
> and other user class path settings are ignored.


The answer is the Class-Path manifest attribute
<http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/jar/jar.html#Manifest%20Specification>

Place the library JAR in the same directory as the application JAR, or a
subdirectory, and reference it from the manifest of the application JAR.

--
Lew
 
Reply With Quote
 
marcussilfver@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-26-2008
On 26 Mar, 13:54, Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >> I have application code that runs fine when executed from inside
> >> Eclipse IDE.
> >> However when I make a jar "myApp.jar" out of it then the jar does not
> >> run. If I however remove a certain object of a certain class C from my
> >> code and generates a new "myApp.jar", then the new jar runs fine
> >> aswell.

>
> >> The class C which I remove from the code to make it work is located in
> >> an external jar "x.jar".
> >> Inside the IDE, I have included x.jar in the buildpath of the project.

>
> >> My thought is that the class C is not found in runtime when executing
> >> "myApp.jar".

>
> >> Where should I put the x.jar for the JRE to find when executing
> >> myApp.jar?

> Donkey Hot wrote:
> > To the classpath

>
> > java -cp .;/path/to/the/x.jar;/possible/other/jars -jar myApp.jar

>
> There's no point in putting a -cp option there if you use -jar. *The classpath
> will be completely ignored due to the -jar option.
>
> <http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/solaris/java.html>
>
> > When you use this option [-jar], the JAR file is the source of all user classes,
> > and other user class path settings are ignored.

>
> The answer is the Class-Path manifest attribute
> <http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/jar/jar.html#Manifest%20Spe...>
>
> Place the library JAR in the same directory as the application JAR, or a
> subdirectory, and reference it from the manifest of the application JAR.
>
> --
> Lew- Dölj citerad text -
>
> - Visa citerad text -


thanks everyone answering. I got it working now!

regards
Marcus
 
Reply With Quote
 
Roedy Green
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-26-2008
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 03:44:35 -0700 (PDT), (E-Mail Removed)
wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who said :

>Where should I put the x.jar for the JRE to find when executing
>myApp.jar?


Normally you build jars with ant scripts. See
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/ant.html

You might have a look at some of my jars
http://mindprod.com/products.html to see the structure. Look inside
your jars to make sure all the class files are there and they are
named correctly, and resources are present, and the manifest is
correctly built.

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jar.html
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jarexe.html
--

Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
The Java Glossary
http://mindprod.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
help with pix inside->outside + dmz->outside + inside->outside->dmz Jack Cisco 0 09-19-2007 01:57 AM
Why do JARs made with JBuilder 2006 Enterprise not work outside IDE??? alan_conoco@hotmail.co.uk Java 0 08-02-2006 07:52 AM
2 PIX Same COnfig, though 1 not connected to 'real' outside? Does not work? Scott Townsend Cisco 3 03-23-2006 04:43 PM
HELP: Directory browsing on IIS does not work from outside WQ Cisco 1 06-28-2004 04:03 AM
CDO.Send - does not appear to work sending to outside domains. Owen ASP General 5 02-23-2004 01:21 AM



Advertisments