Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Dimdows Eee arrives

Dimdows Eee arrives

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

The latest Dick Smith flyer prominently features the version of the Eee with
Dimdows XP installed on the back. As I expected, it costs $100 more than
the Linux version.

Let's see how well it sells...

sam

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> The latest Dick Smith flyer prominently features the version of the Eee with
> Dimdows XP installed on the back. As I expected, it costs $100 more than
> the Linux version.
>
> Let's see how well it sells...

Better get in quick, its not even in the stores yet and Microsoft plans
to stop licensing XP to OEMs on June 30 2008
http://www.news.com/Microsoft-extend...?tag=nefd.lede

Their original plan was to can it on Jan 31st.

blanking

news:fsc9cm$rkf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The latest Dick Smith flyer prominently features the version of the Eee
> with
> Dimdows XP installed on the back. As I expected, it costs $100 more than
> the Linux version.
>
> Let's see how well it sells...

Yeah I would expect that sales will take off now that it has windows on it.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <47e9c621$(E-Mail Removed)>, blanking did write:

> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
> news:fsc9cm$rkf$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> The latest Dick Smith flyer prominently features the version of the Eee
>> with Dimdows XP installed on the back. As I expected, it costs $100 more
>> than the Linux version.
>>
>> Let's see how well it sells...

> Yeah I would expect that sales will take off now that it has windows on
> it.

I'm not so sure. Consider that the consumer market is the one bright spot
that has enthusiastically embraced Vista. Now here is someone trying to fob
them off with the antiquated older XP, whose days everybody knows are
numbered--think they're really going to go for that? Notwithstanding the
higher price makes it more comparable to conventionally-sized laptops that
people may prefer.

blanking

news:fsckde$2ib$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <47e9c621$(E-Mail Removed)>, blanking did write:
>
>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
>> news:fsc9cm$rkf$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> The latest Dick Smith flyer prominently features the version of the Eee
>>> with Dimdows XP installed on the back. As I expected, it costs $100 more
>>> than the Linux version.
>>>
>>> Let's see how well it sells...

>> Yeah I would expect that sales will take off now that it has windows on
>> it.

> I'm not so sure. Consider that the consumer market is the one bright spot
> that has enthusiastically embraced Vista. Now here is someone trying to
> fob
> them off with the antiquated older XP, whose days everybody knows are
> numbered--think they're really going to go for that? Notwithstanding the
> higher price makes it more comparable to conventionally-sized laptops that
> people may prefer.

I was more thinking about the fact that a non-mswindows os would have put
people off the earlier models, an mswindows os of any kind should see a lot
more interest from joe public, i would expect the popularity of these to
take-off soon..

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <47ead465$(E-Mail Removed)>, blanking did write:

> I was more thinking about the fact that a non-mswindows os would have put
> people off the earlier models ...

Didn't seem to, judging from sales figures so far.

> ... an mswindows os of any kind should see a lot more interest from joe
> public ...

The problem is the main ostensible selling point of running Windows on the
Eee--namety, compatibility with this supposed wide range of available
Windows software--falls down a bit when you realize that much of that
software will not run well on such a modest-specced machine.

I certainly welcome the idea of seeing both Linux and Windows versions
offered for sale side by side. More than a few punters will be asking why
the Windows version costs so much more, and what exactly they would be
getting for their money. It's the sort of question about Windows that most
salespeople haven't had to deal with in a long time.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <47ead465$(E-Mail Removed)>, blanking did write:

> I was more thinking about the fact that a non-mswindows os would have put
> people off the earlier models ...

ABSOLUTELY no sign of that
<http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/03/26/asus_admits_eee_supply_issues/>.

frederick

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> More than a few punters will be asking why
> the Windows version costs so much more, and what exactly they would be
> getting for their money. It's the sort of question about Windows that most
> salespeople haven't had to deal with in a long time.

Easily answered. Point them to an OEM, let alone "retail" copy of XP,
and show them what a bargain they are getting.

Rob Simpson

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 12:49:11 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro propped his
eyelids open with toothpicks and wrote:

> In article <47ead465$(E-Mail Removed)>, blanking did write:
>
>> I was more thinking about the fact that a non-mswindows os would have
>> put people off the earlier models ...

> ABSOLUTELY no sign of that
> <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/03/26/asus_admits_eee_supply_issues/>.

On the same page reghardware list the EEE 4GB Surf Linux as the most
wanted laptop.

I have one minor operation to go, then I hope to be able to increase my
hours and hunt for more clients than I currently maintain, which will
require me getting a laptop(1). I've more or less settled on a EEE Linux
version, installing Ubuntu instead of the baby Xandros os, and XP as a
guest os in Virtualbox, with the XP iso on a USB stick.

(1) I've got a laptop, an old Hautung P166/32MB/4GB that a friend found in
a rubbish bin. I have Win98 on it, but I want to install a low spec Linux
on it, like DSL or Feather, and turn it into a mail server. Trouble is the
built-in cdrom won't read any burnt cds, so OOTD I'll have to do a network
install.
--
Rob - Linux user number 467898 Ubuntu User number 17166
Linux 2.6.22-14-generic - E2160 1.8Ghz running at 3.0Ghz

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <47eb19a7$(E-Mail Removed)>, Rob Simpson did write:

> I've more or less settled on a EEE Linux
> version, installing Ubuntu instead of the baby Xandros os...

Note there is an Eeexubuntu distro, if you're interested.

I'm wondering whether to dump Xandros, too. They've only just brought out an
update to Firefox 2.0.0.11--I'm still running 2.0.0.7 on this thing.

Asus: Windows EEE will outsell Linux EEE impossible NZ Computing 42 03-31-2008 08:02 AM
Eee ships with Dimdows at last Lawrence D'Oliveiro NZ Computing 4 01-28-2008 12:16 AM
Atlas: Calling a javascript method when data arrives Vincent Courcelle ASP .Net 0 05-25-2006 09:53 AM
Shrek 2 arrives! Rob Mac DVD Video 0 11-02-2004 03:58 AM
CD settlement check arrives! Richard C. DVD Video 30 03-01-2004 03:13 PM

Advertisments