Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Serial interface for 2621 to do frame relay

Serial interface for 2621 to do frame relay

Thomas75

Hi there.

I have a 2621 router that I would like to add serial module.

I searched the eBay and saw 4a/s module.

Is that good enough to do frame relay?

I would like to have that 2621 as frame relay clooud.

Please help.

thank you

-Thomas

Trendkill

On Mar 25, 11:20 am, Thomas75 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I have a 2621 router that I would like to add serial module.
>
> I searched the eBay and saw 4a/s module.
>
> Is that good enough to do frame relay?
>
> I would like to have that 2621 as frame relay clooud.
>
> Please help.
>
> thank you
>
> -Thomas

You will need a connection for each router that the cloud connects
to. So if you are simulating three sites, you will need a frame-relay
cloud router with 3 interfaces, and 3 routers with one interface each
to simulate the end-points.

Doug McIntyre

Thomas75 <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>I have a 2621 router that I would like to add serial module.
>I searched the eBay and saw 4a/s module.
>Is that good enough to do frame relay?
>I would like to have that 2621 as frame relay clooud.

Sure, but what are you hooking to the other end? More routers with
serial cards such as the WIC-1T or WIC-2T?

Is this going to be a WAN using telco circuits? Which kind of circuits?

Those are bigger questions on how to physically connect things rather
than seeing if an interface supports a protocol (it almost always will
on Cisco devices if you are matching up the right stuff).

Thomas75

On Mar 25, 3:01*pm, Doug McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Thomas75 <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >I have a 2621 router that I would like to add serial module.
> >I searched the eBay and saw 4a/s module.
> >Is that good enough to do frame relay?
> >I would like to have that 2621 as frame relay clooud.

> Sure, but what are you hooking to the other end? More routers with
> serial cards such as the WIC-1T or WIC-2T?
>
> Is this going to be a WAN using telco circuits? Which kind of circuits?
>
> Those are bigger questions on how to physically connect things rather
> than seeing if an interface supports a protocol (it almost always will
> on Cisco devices if you are matching up the right stuff).

I'll use one 2621 with A/S Serial board and have two 2514s

So I would like to use 2621 as the cloud and simulate connecting two
2514 connecting through cloud using
frame relay.

-Thomas

Doug McIntyre

Thomas75 <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>On Mar 25, 3:01=A0pm, Doug McIntyre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Thomas75 <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> >I have a 2621 router that I would like to add serial module.
>> >I searched the eBay and saw 4a/s module.
>> >Is that good enough to do frame relay?
>> >I would like to have that 2621 as frame relay clooud.

>> Sure, but what are you hooking to the other end? More routers with
>> serial cards such as the WIC-1T or WIC-2T?
>>
>> Is this going to be a WAN using telco circuits? Which kind of circuits?
>>
>> Those are bigger questions on how to physically connect things rather
>> than seeing if an interface supports a protocol (it almost always will
>> on Cisco devices if you are matching up the right stuff).

>I'll use one 2621 with A/S Serial board and have two 2514s

>So I would like to use 2621 as the cloud and simulate connecting two
>2514 connecting through cloud using frame relay.

Okay, thats quite do-able, and fairly easy to cable. You just need the
DCE-DTE DB60 cables. Dime a dozen on eBay (well not quite, but just a
few bucks). You'll find setups just like this as "labs" on eBay.

Your main limititation is the speed limits of the NM-4A/s module. You
aren't going to get anywhere close to 2Mbps on each port, but since it
sounds like this is lab setup, it shouldn't matter. Just keep in mind
the limits.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/107/hw_as.shtml