Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > is Response.WriteFile ok with large files?

is Response.WriteFile ok with large files?

Jerry J

I am using Response.WriteFile to send file streams back to
web clients.

My question is this:

Can I use Response.WriteFile(SomeFilePath) for any size
file? Will it handle chunking the data back to the client
or do I have to do it myself?

Alvin Bruney

writefile will stream out *any size file, but you will obviously run against
the output stream buffer set at 4k limit (may be wrong on the size limit).
In addition, you will be grinding your application to a halt trying to
stream this much info.

"Jerry J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:008b01c34e23$11b17410$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I am using Response.WriteFile to send file streams back to
> web clients.
>
> My question is this:
>
> Can I use Response.WriteFile(SomeFilePath) for any size
> file? Will it handle chunking the data back to the client
> or do I have to do it myself?

Jerry J

Can you tell me where there is information about the size
of the stream buffer you think might be 4k? I can't find
very much information on how Response.WriteFile works.