Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Heap dump file size vs heap size

Heap dump file size vs heap size

Michal Slocinski

Hi,

Do you know how heap dump file size is related to heap size itself?
I've multiple heap dumps created using jmap on Solaris using Sun JVM
1.5.0_09 and somehow filesize doesn't relate to heap size itself.

Disproportions are quite big actually (even 500MB - 1GB)

Michal

GArlington

On Mar 25, 10:18 am, Michal Slocinski <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do you know how heap dump file size is related to heap size itself?
> I've multiple heap dumps created using jmap on Solaris using Sun JVM
> 1.5.0_09 and somehow filesize doesn't relate to heap size itself.
>
> Disproportions are quite big actually (even 500MB - 1GB)
>
> Michal

Look ta java.lang.Runtime class, see what it can give you...
Think about how the heap behaves, how gc() is working depending on
various settings, this may give you few clues why the heap size may
NOT be related to heap dump file size (and do not forget that there is
always extra info in the dump file too)...

Dump complete java VM state as core dump (not via OS) possible? halfdog Java 12 02-21-2013 06:14 AM
how to obtain heap dump on demand on windows and JRE 1.5.0_9 ? Michal Slocinski Java 6 02-21-2013 06:11 AM
java heap dump file gets too big petereakin@gmail.com Java 7 09-08-2010 06:51 AM
Heap Dump Tool Mariano2012 Java 2 05-26-2006 10:04 PM
Producing an Heap Dump on Sun JVM. Cristian Cardenas Java 0 06-18-2004 04:17 PM

Advertisments