Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP.NET & MySQL

ASP.NET & MySQL

David Whitehouse

Ok, I have a MySQL database on my server, and i want to test my ASP.NET
pages on my localhost. How do i do a DNS-less connection to it and pull data
from the database? I've tried some stuff from asp.net but nothings working.
-David

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

My colleague Carl Prothman has a great collection of connection strings
(including MySQL.NET) here:

http://www.able-consulting.com/dotne...NativeProvider

Ken

"David Whitehouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Ok, I have a MySQL database on my server, and i want to test my ASP.NET
pages on my localhost. How do i do a DNS-less connection to it and pull data
from the database? I've tried some stuff from asp.net but nothings working.
-David

Marc Hoeppner

Hi,

here are two good links:

"David Whitehouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok, I have a MySQL database on my server, and i want to test my ASP.NET
> pages on my localhost. How do i do a DNS-less connection to it and pull

data
> from the database? I've tried some stuff from asp.net but nothings

working.
> -David

Marc Hoeppner

Hi,

here are two good links about this:

http://www.mysql.com/articles/dotnet/#ODBC.NET

http://www.mysql.com/products/myodbc...ml#Without_DSN

Best regards,

Marc Höppner
NeoGeo

"David Whitehouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok, I have a MySQL database on my server, and i want to test my ASP.NET
> pages on my localhost. How do i do a DNS-less connection to it and pull

data
> from the database? I've tried some stuff from asp.net but nothings

working.
> -David

David Whitehouse

Sadly I've already read them and dont understand too well. I've tried to
give them a go but still get the same errors. What i really need is a
dummies guide to set it up, step by step.

"Marc Hoeppner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> here are two good links about this:
>
> http://www.mysql.com/articles/dotnet/#ODBC.NET
>
> http://www.mysql.com/products/myodbc...ml#Without_DSN
>
> Best regards,
>
> Marc Höppner
> NeoGeo
>
> "David Whitehouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Ok, I have a MySQL database on my server, and i want to test my ASP.NET
> > pages on my localhost. How do i do a DNS-less connection to it and pull

> data
> > from the database? I've tried some stuff from asp.net but nothings

> working.
> > -David

Marc Hoeppner

Hi,

have you tried something like:

MySqlConn.ConnectionString = "Data Source=localhost;Database=<DB>;User
ID=<user>;Password=<password>";

I assume MySQL is on the same box.

Best regards,

Marc Höppner
NeoGeo

"David Whitehouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sadly I've already read them and dont understand too well. I've tried to
> give them a go but still get the same errors. What i really need is a
> dummies guide to set it up, step by step.
>
> "Marc Hoeppner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > here are two good links about this:
> >
> > http://www.mysql.com/articles/dotnet/#ODBC.NET
> >
> > http://www.mysql.com/products/myodbc...ml#Without_DSN
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Marc Höppner
> > NeoGeo
> >
> > "David Whitehouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Ok, I have a MySQL database on my server, and i want to test my

ASP.NET
> > > pages on my localhost. How do i do a DNS-less connection to it and

pull
> > data
> > > from the database? I've tried some stuff from asp.net but nothings

> > working.
> > > -David

Alvin Bruney

are you still having problems with this?