Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Is IronPython real Python?

Is IronPython real Python?

jmDesktop

I know that IronPython and CPython are different in that one does not
use the .net framework, but are they both really the same Python
language. From my basic understanding, it will depend on what the
programmer's goal is as to which of the two would be used, but I
didn't know if they were really the same language.

Mike Driscoll

On Mar 24, 12:00 pm, jmDesktop <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I know that IronPython and CPython are different in that one does not
> use the .net framework, but are they both really the same Python
> language. From my basic understanding, it will depend on what the
> programmer's goal is as to which of the two would be used, but I
> didn't know if they were really the same language.

I would say that they're mostly the same. IronPython allows the
developer to use any of the .NET libraries within their Python
program, much like Jython allows Python to import Java libraries.

The main IronPython website has a wiki that outlines the differences:

http://www.codeplex.com/IronPython/W...ringTitle=Home

Mike

Benjamin

On Mar 24, 12:00 pm, jmDesktop <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I know that IronPython and CPython are different in that one does not
> use the .net framework, but are they both really the same Python
> language. From my basic understanding, it will depend on what the
> programmer's goal is as to which of the two would be used, but I
> didn't know if they were really the same language.

CPython is main implementation. The other implementations, PyPy,
Jython, and IronPython, are always playing catchup to CPython, so you
can't expected the latest CPython features in all the implementations.