Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How many % heatsink can help CPU?

How many % heatsink can help CPU?

hyleapcheang@gmail.com

Dear all,

Can someone tell me how many percentage that heat sink can help to
cool the CPU?

Thanks,

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

>Dear all,
>
>Can someone tell me how many percentage that heat sink can help to
>cool the CPU?

100%, without one your CPU would burn out or even explode.

I can tell you what a good cleaning can do, no percentages...

I was running 63C a few days ago, I took canned air and cleaned out
the garbage from the vents of the heat sink; it now reads 50C
--

http://www.heyokay.com/nope/

VanguardLH

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear all,
>
> Can someone tell me how many percentage that heat sink can help to
> cool the CPU?

Using a heatsink versus not using one?

Lapping the mating surface of the heatsink versus using the
factory-supplied surface? Lapping the die casing, too?

Active (fan) cooling versus passive (radiant) cooling?

Size of heatsink? Material used for mating surface and material used
for transfer to air?

Air-cooled or water-cooled?

The thermal transfer compound (heatsink paste) is used? Whether
properly applied or gooped in excess which actually reduces heat
transfer rate?

Using thermal paste versus thermal pads?

Well, ask a vague question and get a vague response.

Rgr

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Can someone tell me how many percentage that heat sink can help to
>> cool the CPU?

> 100%, without one your CPU would burn out or even explode.
>
> I can tell you what a good cleaning can do, no percentages...
>
> I was running 63C a few days ago, I took canned air and cleaned out
> the garbage from the vents of the heat sink; it now reads 50C

Simple math. If you ran the figures, you got a 21% increase in
efficiency, which is supposing that the temperature figures are somehow
based in rock-solid standards and are not capricious. How about we just
say that the CPU go BOOM with no heat-sink/cooling fan.

Barry OGrady

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 20:20:56 -0700 (PDT), (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>Can someone tell me how many percentage that heat sink can help to
>cool the CPU?

Between 0% and 100%.

>Thanks,

You might want to provide more information.

Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

Buffalo

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Can someone tell me how many percentage that heat sink can help to
> cool the CPU?
>
> Thanks,

Different heatsinks can keep your cpu much cooler. How much depends on a lot
of things as others have mentioned.
If you present cpu is running too hot, a better heatsink/fan combo can bring
it back down to reasonable limits (many times just a good cleaning can do
wonders).
Course you could go to a liquid cooled system etc to really run it cool
(very useful with high overclocking).
Perhaps if you could explain why you need to know, more help could be
offered.
PS: Without a heatsink, some cpus would only last less than 10sec, some way
less.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Rgr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I was running 63C a few days ago, I took canned air and cleaned out
>> the garbage from the vents of the heat sink; it now reads 50C

>Simple math. If you ran the figures, you got a 21% increase in
>efficiency, which is supposing that the temperature figures are somehow
>based in rock-solid standards and are not capricious.

Temps by Everest http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

I used to do nuclear physic problems, I could equate the possibility
of a pile going critical, now I just skip the math, let others do it
if they wish.
--

http://www.heyokay.com/nope/

olfart

> I used to do nuclear physic problems, I could equate the possibility
> of a pile going critical, now I just skip the math, let others do it
> if they wish.
> --

if your piles get too critical...there's always Preparation H

rf

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> Can someone tell me how many percentage that heat sink can help to
>>> cool the CPU?

>> 100%, without one your CPU would burn out or even explode.
>>
>> I can tell you what a good cleaning can do, no percentages...
>>
>> I was running 63C a few days ago, I took canned air and cleaned out
>> the garbage from the vents of the heat sink; it now reads 50C

> Simple math. If you ran the figures, you got a 21% increase in efficiency,

Rubbish.

Your "math" relies entirely on the scale the temperature is based on.

Assuming degrees celsius you do indeed end up with 21% or so.

Convert the temperatures to farenheight however: 145.4 to 122 gives just
over 15%.

In degrees Kelvin, 336.15 to 323.15: 0.038673211%, almost zero improvement

The common sense is: the designers put that heat sink there for a reason.
Remove it at you own peril.

The real question is: why would the OP even ask? Does it matter? Would you
remove the "radiator" from your car, just to see what happened?

--
Richard.

Rgr

rf wrote:
> "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> 100%, without one your CPU would burn out or even explode.
>>>
>>> I can tell you what a good cleaning can do, no percentages...
>>>
>>> I was running 63C a few days ago, I took canned air and cleaned out
>>> the garbage from the vents of the heat sink; it now reads 50C

>> Simple math. If you ran the figures, you got a 21% increase in efficiency,

> Rubbish.
>
> Your "math" relies entirely on the scale the temperature is based on.
>
> Assuming degrees celsius you do indeed end up with 21% or so.
>
> Convert the temperatures to farenheight however: 145.4 to 122 gives just
> over 15%.
>
> In degrees Kelvin, 336.15 to 323.15: 0.038673211%, almost zero improvement
>

> The common sense is: the designers put that heat sink there for a reason.
> Remove it at you own peril.
>
> The real question is: why would the OP even ask? Does it matter? Would you
> remove the "radiator" from your car, just to see what happened?

You seemed to have snipped the part where I addressed these issues.
Doesn't matter anyhow.