Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Got rid of most of the Spam !!

Reply
Thread Tools

Got rid of most of the Spam !!

 
 
N
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-25-2008
"Tony Sivori" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> Too much abuse from third-party cancels.

>
> Well, Mr Shark, I took your advice. I recently added all posts from
> googlegroups.com to my filters, in every group that I read. The stench
> from the damn googlegroups sewer is just too much. Usenet is better off
> without google.
>
> There is some collateral damage. But the more people that filter the
> googlegroups spam, the fewer legitimate posters will post through google.
>
> --
> Tony Sivori
> Due to spam, I'm now filtering all Google Groups posters.
>



Reading newsgroups would be better without google groups posts, but it would
be very sad if we lost the archive altogether.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
rwalker
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-25-2008

"N" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:47e8daac$0$17360$(E-Mail Removed)...

snip

>
> Reading newsgroups would be better without google groups posts, but it
> would be very sad if we lost the archive altogether.
>


It would be wonderful if Google just stuck to archiving alone.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
er
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-25-2008

> I agree that the archive is a wonderful asset. But Google's blind eye to
> using their servers to post usenet spam is incomprehensible to me.
>
> --
> Tony Sivori
> Due to spam, I'm now filtering all Google Groups posters.
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like many, I keep a gmail address for use when I don't want to be completly
"out there."

It amazes me how well gmail catches spam, diverting it from my inbox to a
spam folder. They are much better at this than Verizon.

If google would apply the same filters to their groups postings, we wouldn't
be having this discussion.

EQR


 
Reply With Quote
 
Tony Sivori
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-25-2008
Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
> Tony, may I quote that paragraph on one of the UIP "Other Voices" pages?
> I'd love to, with your permission. I know -- this is a public medium
> and could just steal it. But I'm terminally courteous, and won't use it
> without your permission. I'll credit you, as I do the others there. Go
> to the UIP link in my sig, and see the Voices pages to see to what I
> refer. Please advise, here. Thanks a lot.


I'd be glad to be quoted on your page. And thanks for asking, before you
did it.

--
Tony Sivori
Due to spam, I'm now filtering all Google Groups posters.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Tony Sivori
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-25-2008
N wrote:

> "Tony Sivori" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Due to spam, I'm now filtering all Google Groups posters.
>>

> Reading newsgroups would be better without google groups posts, but it
> would be very sad if we lost the archive altogether.


I agree that the archive is a wonderful asset. But Google's blind eye to
using their servers to post usenet spam is incomprehensible to me.

--
Tony Sivori
Due to spam, I'm now filtering all Google Groups posters.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jim Townsend
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-25-2008
Tony Sivori wrote:


> I agree that the archive is a wonderful asset. But Google's blind eye to
> using their servers to post usenet spam is incomprehensible to me.


Google is a wonderful resource on the internet.

They provide Google search, Google maps, Google finance, Google images,
Google's youtube and gmail. These are all fantastic services that I use
regularly.

Yet they allow Google groups to spew unlimited spam onto USENET. I can't
figure out how such a good company can let one of their services turn into
such vile crap.

With the current Google spam ratio of over ten spams to one valid post I
can no longer follow rec.photo.digital without having my newsreader kill
*everything* originating from Google groups.

rec.photo.digital is looking a **LOT** better now.

---
Join the revolution..... Kill Google groups.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-25-2008
Tony Sivori wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>>
>> Tony, may I quote that paragraph on one of the UIP "Other
>> Voices" pages? I'd love to, with your permission. I know --
>> this is a public medium and could just steal it. But I'm
>> terminally courteous, and won't use it without your permission.
>> I'll credit you, as I do the others there. Go to the UIP link
>> in my sig, and see the Voices pages to see to what I refer.
>> Please advise, here. Thanks a lot.

>
> I'd be glad to be quoted on your page. And thanks for asking,
> before you did it.


Thank you, Tony. It's up:

http://improve-usenet.org/voices1.html


--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net
 
Reply With Quote
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-25-2008
N wrote:

> "Tony Sivori" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>>> Too much abuse from third-party cancels.

>>
>> Well, Mr Shark, I took your advice. I recently added all posts
>> from googlegroups.com to my filters, in every group that I
>> read. The stench from the damn googlegroups sewer is just too
>> much. Usenet is better off without google.
>>
>> There is some collateral damage. But the more people that
>> filter the googlegroups spam, the fewer legitimate posters will
>> post through google.
>>
>> --
>> Tony Sivori
>> Due to spam, I'm now filtering all Google Groups posters.
>>

>
>
> Reading newsgroups would be better without google groups posts,
> but it would be very sad if we lost the archive altogether.


Nobody here is complaining about the archive.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net
 
Reply With Quote
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-25-2008
er wrote:

>
>> I agree that the archive is a wonderful asset. But Google's
>> blind eye to using their servers to post usenet spam is
>> incomprehensible to me.
>>
>> --
>> Tony Sivori
>> Due to spam, I'm now filtering all Google Groups posters.
>>

> -----------------------------------------------------------------
> ----------------
>
> Like many, I keep a gmail address for use when I don't want to
> be completly "out there."
>
> It amazes me how well gmail catches spam, diverting it from my
> inbox to a spam folder. They are much better at this than
> Verizon.
>
> If google would apply the same filters to their groups postings,
> we wouldn't be having this discussion.


Ditto of the news admins woke up and started filtering GG posts.


--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net
 
Reply With Quote
 
Blinky the Shark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-25-2008
Jim Townsend wrote:

> Tony Sivori wrote:
>
>
>> I agree that the archive is a wonderful asset. But Google's
>> blind eye to using their servers to post usenet spam is
>> incomprehensible to me.

>
> Google is a wonderful resource on the internet.
>
> They provide Google search, Google maps, Google finance, Google
> images, Google's youtube and gmail. These are all fantastic
> services that I use regularly.
>
> Yet they allow Google groups to spew unlimited spam onto USENET.
> I can't figure out how such a good company can let one of
> their services turn into such vile crap.
>
> With the current Google spam ratio of over ten spams to one
> valid post I can no longer follow rec.photo.digital without
> having my newsreader kill *everything* originating from Google
> groups.
>
> rec.photo.digital is looking a **LOT** better now.
>
> ---
> Join the revolution..... Kill Google groups.


Now there's a sig line I'd like to see catch on.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project: http://improve-usenet.org
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I am getting loads of spam by e-mail.Most of it is not even addressed to me so god knows how I am receiving it. Any ideas . Is there a spam guard available on blueyonder? How do I get it on my system if there is?Cheers GW Geoff/Elaine Computer Support 11 11-16-2004 11:17 PM



Advertisments