Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Scheduling a retiring exam after 3/31/2008

Scheduling a retiring exam after 3/31/2008

Louis Friend

Hello,

Has anyone tried to schedule any of the retiring exams after 3/31/2008
?

I just wonder what would happen.

a) Prometric would let you pay for it, then flag it and cancel it, and
eventually refund your money.
b) Give you credit toward an exam that isn't expiring
c) Keep your money but not let you take that test (or any test)
d) Let you take the test.
e) other?

I just wanted to finish up with the 292 and 296. I know I can take
the 290 and 291 for the 292 and the 293 and 294 for the 296. That
costs twice as much though...

Meanwhile I'm retaking "the beast" while fighting off
bronchitis/walking pneumonia on Tuesday.

With the nationwide testing center cockup on March 15th with Prometric
I thought MS might give some folks a break.

Louis Friend

Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]

"Louis Friend" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hello,
>
> Has anyone tried to schedule any of the retiring exams after 3/31/2008
> ?
>
> I just wonder what would happen.
>
> a) Prometric would let you pay for it, then flag it and cancel it, and
> eventually refund your money.
> b) Give you credit toward an exam that isn't expiring
> c) Keep your money but not let you take that test (or any test)
> d) Let you take the test.
> e) other?
>
> I just wanted to finish up with the 292 and 296. I know I can take
> the 290 and 291 for the 292 and the 293 and 294 for the 296. That
> costs twice as much though...
>
> Meanwhile I'm retaking "the beast" while fighting off
> bronchitis/walking pneumonia on Tuesday.
>
> With the nationwide testing center cockup on March 15th with Prometric
> I thought MS might give some folks a break.
>
> Louis Friend

One would question why you would even try to schedule any of the
retiring exams after the 31st if you KNEW they were to be retired
then...

.rev [askthemct.com]

Good idea...

Personally I've considered putting sugar in my gas tank to see what would
happen. I wonder if the store would let me but the sugar or if anyone would
tell me how stupid the idea was before I waste my money uying the bag of
sugar. I think for one I would be able to buy the surgar; two, no one would
really give a crap and finally; three, no one would tell me not to do it or
tell me how stupid I was because again no one really cared in the first
place. I would assume I'd hear the faint chuckle off in the distance but not
much else.

--
..rev

www.askthemct.com
..
"Louis Friend" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> Has anyone tried to schedule any of the retiring exams after 3/31/2008
> ?
>
> I just wonder what would happen.
>
> a) Prometric would let you pay for it, then flag it and cancel it, and
> eventually refund your money.
> b) Give you credit toward an exam that isn't expiring
> c) Keep your money but not let you take that test (or any test)
> d) Let you take the test.
> e) other?
>
> I just wanted to finish up with the 292 and 296. I know I can take
> the 290 and 291 for the 292 and the 293 and 294 for the 296. That
> costs twice as much though...
>
> Meanwhile I'm retaking "the beast" while fighting off
> bronchitis/walking pneumonia on Tuesday.
>
> With the nationwide testing center cockup on March 15th with Prometric
> I thought MS might give some folks a break.
>
> Louis Friend

Louis Friend

Hello,

I didn't think my question warranted that kind of response. (Is
everyone a seagoth these days?)

The ms mcp website is kind of vague about whether or not Prometric
will offer them. No guarantees. Sure.

After struggling to make ends meet for a few years, I finally had the
funds this year to finish up my MCSE certification and I'm almost
done. I just thought it was slightly unfair that the last day you can
get an MCSE 2000 was also the last day you can take the 292 and 296 to
bump up to a 2K03.

Between a nationwide testing issue on Saturday the 15th at the
Prometric center and my recent bout of the flu my schedule has been
thrown off a week.

Louis Friend

Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]

"Louis Friend" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I just thought it was slightly unfair that the last day you can
> get an MCSE 2000 was also the last day you can take the 292 and 296 to
> bump up to a 2K03.
>
> Louis Friend

This is not news. This information has been published for about a year
now.

Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]

".rev [askthemct.com]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Good idea...
>
> Personally I've considered putting sugar in my gas tank to see what would
> happen. I wonder if the store would let me but the sugar or if anyone would
> tell me how stupid the idea was before I waste my money uying the bag of
> sugar. I think for one I would be able to buy the surgar; two, no one would
> really give a crap and finally; three, no one would tell me not to do it or
> tell me how stupid I was because again no one really cared in the first
> place. I would assume I'd hear the faint chuckle off in the distance but not
> much else.
>
> --
> .rev
>
> www.askthemct.com
> .
> "Louis Friend" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello,
> >
> > Has anyone tried to schedule any of the retiring exams after 3/31/2008
> > ?
> >
> > I just wonder what would happen.
> >
> > a) Prometric would let you pay for it, then flag it and cancel it, and
> > eventually refund your money.
> > b) Give you credit toward an exam that isn't expiring
> > c) Keep your money but not let you take that test (or any test)
> > d) Let you take the test.
> > e) other?
> >
> > I just wanted to finish up with the 292 and 296. I know I can take
> > the 290 and 291 for the 292 and the 293 and 294 for the 296. That
> > costs twice as much though...
> >
> > Meanwhile I'm retaking "the beast" while fighting off
> > bronchitis/walking pneumonia on Tuesday.
> >
> > With the nationwide testing center cockup on March 15th with Prometric
> > I thought MS might give some folks a break.
> >
> > Louis Friend

Now see, that's funny!!!

.rev [askthemct.com]

I do agree the deqadline for 292 and 296 should fall later. You will not
hear arguement from me on that point as they are still 2003 based exams not
2000 based.

But yes I thought asking someone what they thought about trying to register
for something after its done with was a but funny. I liken it to asking to
be let into the Concert you wanted to see because you bought your tickets
before the show date but are now trying to attend a different show on a
different day, even though the venue isthe same.
--
..rev

www.askthemct.com
..
"Louis Friend" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I didn't think my question warranted that kind of response. (Is
> everyone a seagoth these days?)
>
> The ms mcp website is kind of vague about whether or not Prometric
> will offer them. No guarantees. Sure.
>
> After struggling to make ends meet for a few years, I finally had the
> funds this year to finish up my MCSE certification and I'm almost
> done. I just thought it was slightly unfair that the last day you can
> get an MCSE 2000 was also the last day you can take the 292 and 296 to
> bump up to a 2K03.
>
> Between a nationwide testing issue on Saturday the 15th at the
> Prometric center and my recent bout of the flu my schedule has been
> thrown off a week.
>

> Louis Friend

Trika Harms zum Spreckel (MSFT)

Hi, Louis. You are not alone! I don't think your question warranted that kind
of response, particularly.

If Prometric lets you schedule the exam, and you go take it, you'll get
credit for it at Microsoft, even if it is after the March 31 official
retirement. If Prometric lets you schedule and pay for the exam, then they
cancel it for whatever reason, they will refund your money. As you know, just
a reminder that there is no guarantee that those exams will be available
after March 31.

Good luck, hope you pass.
And feel better.

What is the nation wide Prometric exam center cock up on March 15?
Trika

--
Trika, Microsoft Learning, Microsoft Corp. This posting is provided "AS IS"
with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"Louis Friend" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Has anyone tried to schedule any of the retiring exams after 3/31/2008
> ?
>
> I just wonder what would happen.
>
> a) Prometric would let you pay for it, then flag it and cancel it, and
> eventually refund your money.
> b) Give you credit toward an exam that isn't expiring
> c) Keep your money but not let you take that test (or any test)
> d) Let you take the test.
> e) other?
>
> I just wanted to finish up with the 292 and 296. I know I can take
> the 290 and 291 for the 292 and the 293 and 294 for the 296. That
> costs twice as much though...
>
> Meanwhile I'm retaking "the beast" while fighting off
> bronchitis/walking pneumonia on Tuesday.
>
> With the nationwide testing center cockup on March 15th with Prometric
> I thought MS might give some folks a break.
>
> Louis Friend

Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]

"Trika Harms zum Spreckel (MSFT)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi, Louis. You are not alone! I don't think your question warranted that kind
> of response, particularly.
>
> If Prometric lets you schedule the exam, and you go take it, you'll get
> credit for it at Microsoft, even if it is after the March 31 official
> retirement. If Prometric lets you schedule and pay for the exam, then they
> cancel it for whatever reason, they will refund your money. As you know, just
> a reminder that there is no guarantee that those exams will be available
> after March 31.
>
> Good luck, hope you pass.
> And feel better.
>
> What is the nation wide Prometric exam center cock up on March 15?
> Trika
>
> --
> Trika, Microsoft Learning, Microsoft Corp. This posting is provided "AS IS"
> with no warranties, and confers no rights.
>

> "Louis Friend" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Has anyone tried to schedule any of the retiring exams after 3/31/2008
> > ?
> >
> > I just wonder what would happen.
> >
> > a) Prometric would let you pay for it, then flag it and cancel it, and
> > eventually refund your money.
> > b) Give you credit toward an exam that isn't expiring
> > c) Keep your money but not let you take that test (or any test)
> > d) Let you take the test.
> > e) other?
> >
> > I just wanted to finish up with the 292 and 296. I know I can take
> > the 290 and 291 for the 292 and the 293 and 294 for the 296. That
> > costs twice as much though...
> >
> > Meanwhile I'm retaking "the beast" while fighting off
> > bronchitis/walking pneumonia on Tuesday.
> >
> > With the nationwide testing center cockup on March 15th with Prometric
> > I thought MS might give some folks a break.
> >
> > Louis Friend

Warranted or not, .rev's reply was still funny. And I am not sure what
everyone is referring to concerning the March 15th "cockup" with
Prometric. I haven't heard a thing.

MCNE,MCSE,ITP+,CDIA+

From MCP Flash, March 2008:
"As announced over the past year, 22 Microsoft exams are scheduled to retire
this month, including the Windows Server 2000 to 2003 upgrade exams, 70-292
and 70-296. Please contact Prometric for remaining test dates and times;
there is no guarantee of availability after the scheduled retirement date of
March 31, 2008."

That statement would seem to imply that there is no guarantee that the tests
will NOT be available after March 31, so give the guy a break on the nasty