Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > outlook express newsgroups

outlook express newsgroups

Alan

Hello does anyone know what file the newsgroup lists are kept in Outlook
Express. This would be the main list that shows all groups available from
your ISP not the ones you have subscribed to. Typically 50K to 100K groups
depending on what is up. I would like to be able to look in an excel sheet
or similar at the groups. TIA Alan

Jeff Strickland

I don't think tht list is stored locally, but if it is it will have a file
extension of DBX

news0uFj.60046$(E-Mail Removed)...

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk

On 23 Mar, 15:42, "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello does anyone know what file the newsgroup lists are kept in Outlook
> Express. This would be the main list that shows all groups available from
> your ISP not the ones you have subscribed to. Typically 50K to 100K groups
> depending on what is up. I would like to be able to look in an excel sheet
> or similar at the groups. TIA Alan

I have not tested it but it appears to be stored in Folders.dbx
I noticed the file grew after I added a newsgroup.

To find any OE file, search for *.dbx But a better way..
Tools...options..maintenance..."store folder"
That tells you the directory. It is quite distinctive, partly random
or random looking, and has the words "Application Data" in it.

Infact, if you go here
C:\Documents and Settings\Currentuser\Local Settings\Application Data
\Identities
Then double click that funny named subdirectory.
you will prob see your files.

replace "currentuser" with whoever you are currently logged on as.
(or whichever user account/profile, OE is running in - as in from
runas)