Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > VOIP service that can be used with a mobile phone?

VOIP service that can be used with a mobile phone?

Jono

It happens that alexd formulated :
> On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 19:37:11 +0000, Jono wrote:
>
>> I've used fring on my e61i to connect to voipcheap/sipgate etc. Whilst
>> the Vodafone 3g connection was useable, the latency was higher than when
>> using wifi.

> Was it 'usable' enough that you're still using it now? Given [say] 64kbps
> G711, how much does it work out at per minute? Also, why didn't you use
> the Nokia SIP client? Sorry for the Spanish Inquisition, but E61i +
> Vodafone is under consideration at work so I'm interested in this.

It was very useable on 3G, albeit a bit latent.

The inbuilt SIP client lost registration on WiFi, and the phone gets
extremely hot if you have WiFi on all the time.

> And one final more general question: if you're using a network where n
> packets out of every 100 go missing, does it make sense to use a higher
> [G711] or lower [GSM] bitrate codec?

Er, yes....or no.

JakeD

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 19:36:48 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [...]
>JakeD <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>I suspect you really want to ask the question: Is there a mobile phone
>>>that can be used via a VoIP service ...

>>I can't see any error in my wording of my question. I like the VOIP
>>service I use (at home), because, unlike Skype, (as I understand it),
>>I can make calls to any landline or mobile, and any landline or mobile
>>can call me. The VOIP service is much cheaper for making calls abroad
>>than is the mobile phone service. So what I'd like to achive is to be
>>able to make calls via my VOIP provider, using my mobile phone,
>>without getting billed for a call by the mobile phone company. This
>>may be impossible; I don't know.

>Well - what you need is a mobile phone that can be used via a VoIP
>service ...
>
>Unless you are using Skype, nearly all VoIP providers use a standards
>based system called SIP. Some mobile phones have SIP software built in.
>Eg. The Nokia E95 and E90... Maybe others.
>
>>I'm not very familiar with wifi internet access, at wireless hotspots,
>>but I was hoping that there was a way to make the call via the VOIP
>>service, once one is connected to the net (free of charge) at a wifi
>>hotspot. Perhaps not. My own VOIP customer services said not - but
>>then they are infamous for not knowing much! Or it could be true that
>>their own service cannot be accessed that way, but others can...

>So you need a phone with both a SIP client and Wi-Fi access...
>
>Once you can establish an Internet connection you should be able to use
>VoIP - however, in my experience, a busy Wi-Fi access point is worse
>than useless for making VoIP calls. VoIP is quite demanding in terms of
>what it needs to make it work, and it's easy for other users of the same
>Wi-Fi access point to interfere with VoIP communications. (And I don't
>even mean interfere deliberately, it's a shared resource, and if it's
>busy, then ...)
>
>>I wouldn't expect to be able to receive incoming calls via the VOIP
>>service, on my mobile, necessarily, but I could hopefully pick up
>>messages left on my VOIP voice mail service.

>You need to either divert your VoIP service to your mobile number,
>or have a mobile phone with SIP and Wi-Fi, and be in-range of a Wi-Fi
>access point. I have no problems recieving a VoIP call on my mobile when
>I can satisfy those requirements.
>
>So even if you have this (which I do, with my Nokia E90), finding a
>"free" Wi-Fi access point is not easy, so you'll end up using a paid
>service which might well work out more expensive than simply making a
>call via the "normal" mobile phone network...
>
>Some contracts do give you free access to various Wi-Fi hot-spots, but
>you'll need to go through the contracts, websites, etc. to find this out.
>
>And of-course, you'll need the details from your VoIP provider to
>enter into your SIP+WiFi enabled mobile phone; server, username and
>password, which they might not have told you if you bought something

Thank you very much for clarifying a few things. I'm sad to note that
the phone I purchased the other day (Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket LOOX T810)
doesn't have SIP. It has just about everything else, but not SIP! Oh,
well... Perhaps there is still a way, somehow...

JD

JakeD

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 19:47:52 +0000, Andy Burns
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I can't see any error in my wording of my question.

>I think the point that was being made was once you obtain a mobile phone
>with VoIP capabilty, you can use any VoIP service, including the one you
>already have.
>
>There's unlilkey to be a service that allows you to use your existing
>phone with your existing VoIP, or rather, if there was one, it would
>likely cost you more than just using the mobile in the first place.

OK - perhaos I will sell the new phone (arriving tomorrow) for one
with this SIP capability which Gordon mentioned.

JD

Gordon Henderson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
JakeD <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thank you very much for clarifying a few things. I'm sad to note that
>the phone I purchased the other day (Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket LOOX T810)
>doesn't have SIP. It has just about everything else, but not SIP! Oh,
>well... Perhaps there is still a way, somehow...

A quick google found this:

http://www.go-sip.com/dl.php

It might work in your phone... Who knows...

Gordon

Stephen

alexd wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 19:37:11 +0000, Jono wrote:
>
>> I've used fring on my e61i to connect to voipcheap/sipgate etc. Whilst
>> the Vodafone 3g connection was useable, the latency was higher than when
>> using wifi.

> Was it 'usable' enough that you're still using it now? Given [say] 64kbps
> G711, how much does it work out at per minute? Also, why didn't you use
> the Nokia SIP client? Sorry for the Spanish Inquisition, but E61i +
> Vodafone is under consideration at work so I'm interested in this.

For Nokia E series mobile VoIP try this: http://aql.com/telecoms/index.php

Gordon Henderson

In article <47e8b8bc$0$628$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Stephen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>alexd wrote:
>> On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 19:37:11 +0000, Jono wrote:
>>
>>> I've used fring on my e61i to connect to voipcheap/sipgate etc. Whilst
>>> the Vodafone 3g connection was useable, the latency was higher than when
>>> using wifi.

>> Was it 'usable' enough that you're still using it now? Given [say] 64kbps
>> G711, how much does it work out at per minute? Also, why didn't you use
>> the Nokia SIP client? Sorry for the Spanish Inquisition, but E61i +
>> Vodafone is under consideration at work so I'm interested in this.

>For Nokia E series mobile VoIP try this: http://aql.com/telecoms/index.php

Intersting easy setup ... no E90 though

Gordon

bobcat@adacity.net

Though mobile voip is certainly becoming reality, you'll still likely
encounter issues with sound quality... That's the last piece of the
puzzle that is still ruining the "call experience" after all else has
been pretty much sorted out.

Given this little problem, I would recommend using some of the "semi-
voip" or hybrid solutions that combine a regular national phone call
and a cheap international voip call into a viable alternative against
regular international calls.

There are a few such services out there, like Rebtel and Jajah Direct,
but my personal favourite is Manifone.

They'll give you a few London numbers which you can "point" to
International destinations of your choice, which makes your
international destinations become available on UK numbers, at nearly
voip rates. Since your voice leaves your mobile handset in form of a
regular GSM call, you won't need a data plan or SIP client to use it.

I know that only true voip on your mobile will give you complete
freedom of choice, but technically it's not quite there yet. In the
meantime, use a hybrid alternative!

Andrew Gabriel

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
JakeD <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I can't see any error in my wording of my question. I like the VOIP
> service I use (at home), because, unlike Skype, (as I understand it),
> I can make calls to any landline or mobile, and any landline or mobile
> can call me. The VOIP service is much cheaper for making calls abroad
> than is the mobile phone service. So what I'd like to achive is to be
> able to make calls via my VOIP provider, using my mobile phone,
> without getting billed for a call by the mobile phone company. This
> may be impossible; I don't know.

Phones exist (my Nokia E61i can do this). However, if you get the
phone as part of a contract, you need to ensure the VoIP has not
been disabled by the supplier -- some were doing this but I haven't
heard recently. Probably need to ask this in uk.telecom.mobile.

The other warning I would give is that the IP/WiFi and possibly SIP
implementations in all mobiles is rather beta quality compared
with the quality of implementations you may be more used to in
computers. I.e they don't always work, or don't always work as
you'd expect them to. Across a number of colleagues, we've used
most of the IP/WiFi phones (although I've only used the E61i),
and they're all lacking in software quality.

> I'm not very familiar with wifi internet access, at wireless hotspots,
> but I was hoping that there was a way to make the call via the VOIP
> service, once one is connected to the net (free of charge) at a wifi
> hotspot. Perhaps not. My own VOIP customer services said not - but
> then they are infamous for not knowing much! Or it could be true that
> their own service cannot be accessed that way, but others can...
>
> I wouldn't expect to be able to receive incoming calls via the VOIP
> service, on my mobile, necessarily, but I could hopefully pick up
> messages left on my VOIP voice mail service.

Works for both receiving and making calls for me. I run my own
SIP service for the extended family, and it's only used for calls
between family members, although I can also redirect my home phone
to it over VoIP.

--
Andrew Gabriel