Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > A mass storage device...

A mass storage device...

thingy

Pondering how to do cheap as practical sata raid storage box to use as a
resource pool for backups.

One thing I noticed is the lack of cheap boxes to hold disks without
huge expense...

So Ram is cheap, 2 x 1Gig ddr2-800....maybe 4...linux so memory limit is
not an issue.

A big case, something holding at least 6 if not 8 (or more) 1TB sata
disks....so a motherboard with at least 6 sata connections to build a
large raid5 tough 8 would be better....so motherboard? Intel ICH9 or at
least 8 south bridge as disk i/o is needed...hmm maybe unless the cost
premium is too high....

Thinking 2 x 1TB sata in a raid 1 for booting and live data, 5+1R5 (5TB)
for the backup space.....

CPU, just about anything...Intel or AMD it does not matter, slowest out
there...?

Need 2 onboard NICS, onboard firewire, 2 if possible....

Video card can be embedded, its running cli linux with a web gui...

Future expansion....guess if I can get a embedded video onboard then the
pci-e slots can be used for cheap raid cards....

Need at least 1 PCI for the SCSI raid and another for the scsi to
DLT....so 2 pcis though I'd rather three....

Recommendations for a case to hold lots of disk? We are looking at 8+
disks....

I dont need hot swap storage...I can take it down to replace the disk
and my experience with hot swap or quickswap bays is they are highly
unreliable and suck at air flow.........

ideas pls...

regards

Thing

Enkidu

thingy wrote:
> Pondering how to do cheap as practical sata raid storage box to use as a
> resource pool for backups.
>
> One thing I noticed is the lack of cheap boxes to hold disks without
> huge expense...
>
> So Ram is cheap, 2 x 1Gig ddr2-800....maybe 4...linux so memory limit is
> not an issue.
>
> A big case, something holding at least 6 if not 8 (or more) 1TB sata
> disks....so a motherboard with at least 6 sata connections to build a
> large raid5 tough 8 would be better....so motherboard? Intel ICH9 or at
> least 8 south bridge as disk i/o is needed...hmm maybe unless the cost
> premium is too high....
>
> Thinking 2 x 1TB sata in a raid 1 for booting and live data, 5+1R5 (5TB)
> for the backup space.....
>
> CPU, just about anything...Intel or AMD it does not matter, slowest out
> there...?
>
> Need 2 onboard NICS, onboard firewire, 2 if possible....
>
> Video card can be embedded, its running cli linux with a web gui...
>
> Future expansion....guess if I can get a embedded video onboard then the
> pci-e slots can be used for cheap raid cards....
>
> Need at least 1 PCI for the SCSI raid and another for the scsi to
> DLT....so 2 pcis though I'd rather three....
>
> Recommendations for a case to hold lots of disk? We are looking at 8+
> disks....
>
> I dont need hot swap storage...I can take it down to replace the disk
> and my experience with hot swap or quickswap bays is they are highly
> unreliable and suck at air flow.........

Have you tried Ascent? I believe that I bought an external 8 disk SCSI
enclosure from the eons ago, but I don't know if they still do such
devices. What you get is essentially an empty case with a backplane,
which connects to the main server.

Cheers,

Cliff

'hilarious', it usually isn't?

RL

thingy wrote:
> Recommendations for a case to hold lots of disk? We are looking at 8+
> disks....

I have three Procase CRS9008 cases. These are budget rack cases with
eight 5.25" drive bays, and one 3.5". For my RAID, I wanted eight drives
in the RAID, a system drive, and room for a DVD, so I have two Kingwin
KF-4000-BK 4-in-3 SATA drive arrays installed in one of the cases. These
are also inexpensive, and would allow you to use a case designed for six
drives, but even those aren't easy to come by, as I'm sure you've found.

The RAID on my system is controlled by a Supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8, but
that is a PCI-X card, and would add another $150 or so to the price.

Gigabyte has a range of motherboards available with eight SATA ports. I
can recommend the GA-P35-DS3R, which has six ports on the ICH9R, and
another two on a RAID controller. The ICH9R supports RAID5.

Since you're obviously familiar with Linux, you may wish to consider
Solaris or FreeBSD 7.0 with ZFS as well. This is what I am using for my
RAID solution, and despite a few issues with a pre-release version of
FreeBSD 7.0, it seems to be working well.

RL

RL

RL wrote:
> Gigabyte has a range of motherboards available with eight SATA ports. I
> can recommend the GA-P35-DS3R, which has six ports on the ICH9R, and
> another two on a RAID controller. The ICH9R supports RAID5.

Sorry, this board only has one GbE port, and no IEEE1394. Some of the
other boards in the range may do, but the prices go up quite a bit at
the top end. Probably cheaper to buy another NIC and Firewire card.

RL

Rob Simpson

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 17:23:17 +1300, thingy propped his eyelids open with
toothpicks and wrote:

> Pondering how to do cheap as practical sata raid storage box to use as a
> resource pool for backups.
>
> One thing I noticed is the lack of cheap boxes to hold disks without
> huge expense...
>
> So Ram is cheap, 2 x 1Gig ddr2-800....maybe 4...linux so memory limit is
> not an issue.
>
> A big case, something holding at least 6 if not 8 (or more) 1TB sata
> disks....so a motherboard with at least 6 sata connections to build a
> large raid5 tough 8 would be better....so motherboard? Intel ICH9 or at
> least 8 south bridge as disk i/o is needed...hmm maybe unless the cost
> premium is too high....
>
> Thinking 2 x 1TB sata in a raid 1 for booting and live data, 5+1R5 (5TB)
> for the backup space.....
>
> CPU, just about anything...Intel or AMD it does not matter, slowest out
> there...?
>
> Need 2 onboard NICS, onboard firewire, 2 if possible....
>
> Video card can be embedded, its running cli linux with a web gui...
>
> Future expansion....guess if I can get a embedded video onboard then the
> pci-e slots can be used for cheap raid cards....
>
> Need at least 1 PCI for the SCSI raid and another for the scsi to
> DLT....so 2 pcis though I'd rather three....
>
> Recommendations for a case to hold lots of disk? We are looking at 8+
> disks....
>
> I dont need hot swap storage...I can take it down to replace the disk
> and my experience with hot swap or quickswap bays is they are highly
> unreliable and suck at air flow.........

Various iterations of the Asus P5k range offer everything but. Onboard
video but single lan, dual lan but no onboard video. If cost is no object,
http://www.nzoczone.com/product_info...oducts_id=4991 P5K64 WS (~$400)
has P35/ICH9R chipsets, dual Gb lan, no onboard video but has 4 pci-e 16
slots, 2 pci, 6 sata with raid 0,1,10,5 and another 2 sata + 1 e-sata. 4
ram slots 8Gb max. Drop in an E2140 or E2160 to cut costs. If you need
more grunt, I'm running a E2160 1.8Ghz o/c'd to 3Ghz (9*333) with the
stock hsf and my idle temp is 33C, heavy load 62C and hasn't missed a beat
2 months 24/7.

--
Rob - Linux user number 467898 Ubuntu User number 17166
Linux 2.6.22-14-generic - E2160 1.8Ghz running at 3.0Ghz

Rob Simpson

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 21:48:06 +1300, Rob Simpson propped his eyelids open
with toothpicks and wrote:

Forgot, the Asus also has 2 x ieee1394a, one on the back plane and one mid-
board.

--
Rob - Linux user number 467898 Ubuntu User number 17166
Linux 2.6.22-14-generic - E2160 1.8Ghz running at 3.0Ghz
A 14.4 modem makes you want to get out and push!

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "RL" typed:
> RL wrote:
>> Gigabyte has a range of motherboards available with eight SATA
>> ports. I can recommend the GA-P35-DS3R, which has six ports on the
>> ICH9R, and another two on a RAID controller. The ICH9R supports
>> RAID5.

> Sorry, this board only has one GbE port, and no IEEE1394. Some of the
> other boards in the range may do, but the prices go up quite a bit at
> the top end. Probably cheaper to buy another NIC and Firewire card.
>
> RL

My ASUS P5KE-WiFi-AP board has the same chipset and has IEEE1394 and two
ethernet ports. Unfortunately for thingy the extra 2 SATA ports are eSATA
(although they're RAID-capable). The board is nice though, and relatively
cheap. I have an E4500 in mine (2.2GHz stock) easilly doing 3.2GHz at the
moment (and been stable at 3.3GHz but I decided to down-clock it a bit).
--
Shaun.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <fs51gn$h6t$(E-Mail Removed)>, RL did write:

> Since you're obviously familiar with Linux, you may wish to consider
> Solaris or FreeBSD 7.0 with ZFS as well.

A ZFS-type solution seems preferable to RAID for the longer term. I believe
the BSD equivalent is HAMMER
<http://kerneltrap.org/DragonFlyBSD/A_Better_HAMMER>, while some Linux
folks are working on btrfs
<http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Btrfs_Online_Resizing_Ext3_Conversion_and_More>.

thingy

Rob Simpson wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 21:48:06 +1300, Rob Simpson propped his eyelids open
> with toothpicks and wrote:
>
> Forgot, the Asus also has 2 x ieee1394a, one on the back plane and one mid-
> board.

Disadvantage, DDR3...however, I knew I had to compromise somewhere,
buying addin cards to make it do what I want soon adds up and exhausts
slots, so its looking a very good option.

Case Im considering has 11 disk bays, a coolmaster cx810.

thanks

thing

thingy

RL wrote:
> thingy wrote:
>> Recommendations for a case to hold lots of disk? We are looking at 8+
>> disks....

> I have three Procase CRS9008 cases. These are budget rack cases with
> eight 5.25" drive bays, and one 3.5". For my RAID, I wanted eight drives
> in the RAID, a system drive, and room for a DVD, so I have two Kingwin
> KF-4000-BK 4-in-3 SATA drive arrays installed in one of the cases. These
> are also inexpensive, and would allow you to use a case designed for six
> drives, but even those aren't easy to come by, as I'm sure you've found.
>
> The RAID on my system is controlled by a Supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8, but
> that is a PCI-X card, and would add another $150 or so to the price.
>
> Gigabyte has a range of motherboards available with eight SATA ports. I
> can recommend the GA-P35-DS3R, which has six ports on the ICH9R, and
> another two on a RAID controller. The ICH9R supports RAID5.
>
> Since you're obviously familiar with Linux, you may wish to consider
> Solaris or FreeBSD 7.0 with ZFS as well. This is what I am using for my
> RAID solution, and despite a few issues with a pre-release version of
> FreeBSD 7.0, it seems to be working well.
>
> RL

Im also familiar with Solaris, yes it has ZFS but Debian generally has
so many interesting packages you can just get with apt-get that its hard
not to go with it.

Freebsd would be a learning curve I see no advantage with, cant see me
changing my number plate either....

;]

regards

Thing