Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Making disk boot after Ghost cloning

Making disk boot after Ghost cloning

Geoff Pearson

I have a friend who has used Norton Ghost to copy his old C: drive to a new
bigger drive. He assumed that as the new one was an exact clone of the old
one, it would boot - but it doesn't.

I am suggesting:

- he check that the new disk is being found in BIOS - check it is set to
auto.

- he check the jumpering on the new disk (Master or CS) and to make it last
on the EIDE cable.

- I am about to suggest he use FDISK to make the partition active

- he try to rewrite the MBR - can't remember how to do that.

Any further thoughts or corrections of mine?

philo

"Geoff Pearson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a friend who has used Norton Ghost to copy his old C: drive to a

new
> bigger drive. He assumed that as the new one was an exact clone of the

old
> one, it would boot - but it doesn't.
>
> I am suggesting:
>
> - he check that the new disk is being found in BIOS - check it is set to
> auto.
>
> - he check the jumpering on the new disk (Master or CS) and to make it

last
> on the EIDE cable.
>
> - I am about to suggest he use FDISK to make the partition active
>
> - he try to rewrite the MBR - can't remember how to do that.
>
> Any further thoughts or corrections of mine?

If using XP...
just boot with the cd and from the repair console issue the command:
fixmbr

Geoff Pearson

news(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "Geoff Pearson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have a friend who has used Norton Ghost to copy his old C: drive to a

> new
>> bigger drive. He assumed that as the new one was an exact clone of the

> old
>> one, it would boot - but it doesn't.
>>
>> I am suggesting:
>>
>> - he check that the new disk is being found in BIOS - check it is set to
>> auto.
>>
>> - he check the jumpering on the new disk (Master or CS) and to make it

> last
>> on the EIDE cable.
>>
>> - I am about to suggest he use FDISK to make the partition active
>>
>> - he try to rewrite the MBR - can't remember how to do that.
>>
>> Any further thoughts or corrections of mine?
>>

> If using XP...
> just boot with the cd and from the repair console issue the command:
> fixmbr

Thanks - that gets the MBR fixed; are my other thoughts about right?

philo

"Geoff Pearson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed). ..
> >
> > "Geoff Pearson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I have a friend who has used Norton Ghost to copy his old C: drive to a

> > new
> >> bigger drive. He assumed that as the new one was an exact clone of the

> > old
> >> one, it would boot - but it doesn't.
> >>
> >> I am suggesting:
> >>
> >> - he check that the new disk is being found in BIOS - check it is set

> >> auto.
> >>
> >> - he check the jumpering on the new disk (Master or CS) and to make it

> > last
> >> on the EIDE cable.
> >>
> >> - I am about to suggest he use FDISK to make the partition active
> >>
> >> - he try to rewrite the MBR - can't remember how to do that.
> >>
> >> Any further thoughts or corrections of mine?
> >>

> > If using XP...
> > just boot with the cd and from the repair console issue the command:
> > fixmbr
> >

> Thanks - that gets the MBR fixed; are my other thoughts about right?

Yes, the clone should have been bootable but sometimes the mbr does not get
cloned.

Try the fixmbr command and see what happens
there should be noting else to do it the drive was otherwise cloned properly

VanguardLH

"Geoff Pearson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a friend who has used Norton Ghost to copy his old C: drive to
>a new bigger drive. He assumed that as the new one was an exact
>clone of the old one, it would boot - but it doesn't.
>
> I am suggesting:
>
> - he check that the new disk is being found in BIOS - check it is
> set to auto.
>
> - he check the jumpering on the new disk (Master or CS) and to make
> it last on the EIDE cable.
>
> - I am about to suggest he use FDISK to make the partition active
>
> - he try to rewrite the MBR - can't remember how to do that.
>
> Any further thoughts or corrections of mine?

Have your friend post here to describe what actually happens.

Geoff Pearson

"VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fs3427$b7f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Geoff Pearson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a friend who has used Norton Ghost to copy his old C: drive to a
>>new bigger drive. He assumed that as the new one was an exact clone of
>>the old one, it would boot - but it doesn't.
>>
>> I am suggesting:
>>
>> - he check that the new disk is being found in BIOS - check it is set to
>> auto.
>>
>> - he check the jumpering on the new disk (Master or CS) and to make it
>> last on the EIDE cable.
>>
>> - I am about to suggest he use FDISK to make the partition active
>>
>> - he try to rewrite the MBR - can't remember how to do that.
>>
>> Any further thoughts or corrections of mine?
>>

> Have your friend post here to describe what actually happens.

I will report back - he is 200 miles from the PC at the moment.

philo

"Geoff Pearson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fs3427$b7f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Geoff Pearson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>I have a friend who has used Norton Ghost to copy his old C: drive to a
> >>new bigger drive. He assumed that as the new one was an exact clone of
> >>the old one, it would boot - but it doesn't.
> >>
> >> I am suggesting:
> >>
> >> - he check that the new disk is being found in BIOS - check it is set

> >> auto.
> >>
> >> - he check the jumpering on the new disk (Master or CS) and to make it
> >> last on the EIDE cable.
> >>
> >> - I am about to suggest he use FDISK to make the partition active
> >>
> >> - he try to rewrite the MBR - can't remember how to do that.
> >>
> >> Any further thoughts or corrections of mine?
> >>

> > Have your friend post here to describe what actually happens.

> I will report back - he is 200 miles from the PC at the moment.

If he's 200 miles away from his computer
have him attach one of these to his wireless mouse and keyboard

http://www.featurepics.com/online/An...res132617.aspx

Geoff Pearson

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "Geoff Pearson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:fs3427$b7f$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > "Geoff Pearson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > Have your friend post here to describe what actually happens.

>> I will report back - he is 200 miles from the PC at the moment.
>>

> If he's 200 miles away from his computer
> have him attach one of these to his wireless mouse and keyboard
>
> http://www.featurepics.com/online/An...res132617.aspx

there are plenty of those nearby!

philo

"Geoff Pearson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> >
> > "Geoff Pearson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>
> >> "VanguardLH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:fs3427$b7f$(E-Mail Removed)...

of

set

> >> I will report back - he is 200 miles from the PC at the moment.
> >>

> > If he's 200 miles away from his computer
> > have him attach one of these to his wireless mouse and keyboard
> >
> > http://www.featurepics.com/online/An...res132617.aspx
> >

> there are plenty of those nearby!

Good, then you can remotely administer the fixmbr command <G>