Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Browser Issue - IE, Of Course

Reply
Thread Tools

Browser Issue - IE, Of Course

 
 
Lupine Predator
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-22-2008
Hi, everyone. I just stumbled on this group, and I hope someone can
help me with this. I'm self-taught, and I've just started working on
a part-time basis doing web sites.

A simple little site I built is causing problems in IE. Rather than
trying to explain it, I'll post the link. If you check this site in
Firefox or Opera, it's beautiful. But IE just screws everything up.

Can anyone suggest a fix for this?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me. Here's the link:

http://www.deborahsprintshop.com

Now, I need to go and start reading through this group. I might learn
a thing or fifty in this place!
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-22-2008
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Lupine Predator <(E-Mail Removed)0m> wrote:

> Hi, everyone. I just stumbled on this group, and I hope someone can
> help me with this. I'm self-taught, and I've just started working on
> a part-time basis doing web sites.
>
> A simple little site I built is causing problems in IE. Rather than
> trying to explain it, I'll post the link. If you check this site in
> Firefox or Opera, it's beautiful. But IE just screws everything up.
>
> Can anyone suggest a fix for this?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me. Here's the link:
>
> http://www.deborahsprintshop.com
>
> Now, I need to go and start reading through this group. I might learn
> a thing or fifty in this place!


Hi Lupine,

First thing to do is put a doctype on the top. This will help you
in IE. Look this one up first in your studies.

I suggest you use 4.01 Strict, validate your html doc and that is
the start.

The next thing to do is to consider whether you have the time and
patience to do without the easier to use tables for such a simple
layout that you have. That is something to familiarise yourself
with, the idea that tables, strictly are best reserved for
tabular data rather than general layout of pages.

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ed Mullen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-22-2008
Lupine Predator wrote:
> Hi, everyone. I just stumbled on this group, and I hope someone can
> help me with this. I'm self-taught, and I've just started working on
> a part-time basis doing web sites.
>
> A simple little site I built is causing problems in IE. Rather than
> trying to explain it, I'll post the link. If you check this site in
> Firefox or Opera, it's beautiful. But IE just screws everything up.


How? What exactly are you seeing? What operating system and version of
IE are you using?

> http://www.deborahsprintshop.com


dorayme's comments I second.

Also, in SeaMonkey (a Mozilla-based browser) I have turned on the
function to re-size large images to fit into my viewport (Google it).
So, the bottom right hand pic (ds_splash_pg02.jpg) shows up larger in
IE7 than in SM. Other than that? I see no difference.

Looks the same in:

SeaMonkey
Firefox
Opera
Safari

Didn't check it in IE6 (I'd have to turn on another system and it's
getting late here).

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net
What was the best thing before sliced bread?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris F.A. Johnson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-22-2008
On 2008-03-22, Lupine Predator wrote:
> Hi, everyone. I just stumbled on this group, and I hope someone can
> help me with this. I'm self-taught, and I've just started working on
> a part-time basis doing web sites.
>
> A simple little site I built is causing problems in IE. Rather than
> trying to explain it, I'll post the link. If you check this site in
> Firefox or Opera, it's beautiful. But IE just screws everything up.
>
> Can anyone suggest a fix for this?


What, exactly, is the problem?

> Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me. Here's the link:
>
> http://www.deborahsprintshop.com


Before you do anything else, fix the HTML. The validator at
validator.w3.org reports 7 errors. That's not bad, and shouldn't be
hard to fix.

Once you've done that, remove all font sizes specified in px; if
they then need to be changed, use percentages or ems.

Don't adjust spacing with &nbsp;.

Don't use tables for layout (deal with this after fixing the HTML).

--
Chris F.A. Johnson, webmaster <http://Woodbine-Gerrard.com>
================================================== =================
Author:
Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach (2005, Apress)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lupine Predator
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-22-2008
On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 15:09:11 +1100, dorayme
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Lupine Predator <(E-Mail Removed)0m> wrote:
>
>> Hi, everyone. I just stumbled on this group, and I hope someone can
>> help me with this. I'm self-taught, and I've just started working on
>> a part-time basis doing web sites.
>>
>> A simple little site I built is causing problems in IE. Rather than
>> trying to explain it, I'll post the link. If you check this site in
>> Firefox or Opera, it's beautiful. But IE just screws everything up.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest a fix for this?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me. Here's the link:
>>
>> http://www.deborahsprintshop.com
>>
>> Now, I need to go and start reading through this group. I might learn
>> a thing or fifty in this place!

>
>Hi Lupine,
>
>First thing to do is put a doctype on the top. This will help you
>in IE. Look this one up first in your studies.
>
>I suggest you use 4.01 Strict, validate your html doc and that is
>the start.
>
>The next thing to do is to consider whether you have the time and
>patience to do without the easier to use tables for such a simple
>layout that you have. That is something to familiarise yourself
>with, the idea that tables, strictly are best reserved for
>tabular data rather than general layout of pages.


Woah!! Thanks for the quick reply!!

You know, I did a really dimwitted move with this site. I use
Dreamweaver, and then I tweak the code manually. In the process of
setting this up, I cut out the doctype at the type - I remember doing
it, and thinking I needed to go back and fix it, but then I never got
back to it... Duh...

What would you suggest in place of tables? <div> ? I'm not really
clear on the use of divs, though I need to get myself there.

And by the way - to you and the others who have mentioned it, thanks
for the heads up about htmldog and w3schools. I was under the
impression that w3schools was *the* authority. I've been looking at
htmldog, and it looks awesome.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lupine Predator
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-22-2008
On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 00:21:59 -0400, Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Lupine Predator wrote:
>> Hi, everyone. I just stumbled on this group, and I hope someone can
>> help me with this. I'm self-taught, and I've just started working on
>> a part-time basis doing web sites.
>>
>> A simple little site I built is causing problems in IE. Rather than
>> trying to explain it, I'll post the link. If you check this site in
>> Firefox or Opera, it's beautiful. But IE just screws everything up.

>
>How? What exactly are you seeing? What operating system and version of
>IE are you using?
>
>> http://www.deborahsprintshop.com

>
>dorayme's comments I second.
>
>Also, in SeaMonkey (a Mozilla-based browser) I have turned on the
>function to re-size large images to fit into my viewport (Google it).
>So, the bottom right hand pic (ds_splash_pg02.jpg) shows up larger in
>IE7 than in SM. Other than that? I see no difference.
>
>Looks the same in:
>
>SeaMonkey
>Firefox
>Opera
>Safari
>
>Didn't check it in IE6 (I'd have to turn on another system and it's
>getting late here).


I'm running Opera, Firefox, and IE6. IE6 the image is HUGE, which
it's not supposed to be. It *should* look the way it does in Firefox
and Opera.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ed Mullen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-22-2008
Lupine Predator wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 00:21:59 -0400, Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Lupine Predator wrote:
>>> Hi, everyone. I just stumbled on this group, and I hope someone can
>>> help me with this. I'm self-taught, and I've just started working on
>>> a part-time basis doing web sites.
>>>
>>> A simple little site I built is causing problems in IE. Rather than
>>> trying to explain it, I'll post the link. If you check this site in
>>> Firefox or Opera, it's beautiful. But IE just screws everything up.

>> How? What exactly are you seeing? What operating system and version of
>> IE are you using?
>>
>>> http://www.deborahsprintshop.com

>> dorayme's comments I second.
>>
>> Also, in SeaMonkey (a Mozilla-based browser) I have turned on the
>> function to re-size large images to fit into my viewport (Google it).
>> So, the bottom right hand pic (ds_splash_pg02.jpg) shows up larger in
>> IE7 than in SM. Other than that? I see no difference.
>>
>> Looks the same in:
>>
>> SeaMonkey
>> Firefox
>> Opera
>> Safari
>>
>> Didn't check it in IE6 (I'd have to turn on another system and it's
>> getting late here).

>
> I'm running Opera, Firefox, and IE6. IE6 the image is HUGE, which
> it's not supposed to be. It *should* look the way it does in Firefox
> and Opera.

Specify "width" and "height" in your "img" tag. I think that will do it.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net
Why is there only one Monopolies commission?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lupine Predator
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-22-2008
On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 00:21:59 -0400, Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Lupine Predator wrote:
>> Hi, everyone. I just stumbled on this group, and I hope someone can
>> help me with this. I'm self-taught, and I've just started working on
>> a part-time basis doing web sites.
>>
>> A simple little site I built is causing problems in IE. Rather than
>> trying to explain it, I'll post the link. If you check this site in
>> Firefox or Opera, it's beautiful. But IE just screws everything up.

>
>How? What exactly are you seeing? What operating system and version of
>IE are you using?
>
>> http://www.deborahsprintshop.com

>
>dorayme's comments I second.
>
>Also, in SeaMonkey (a Mozilla-based browser) I have turned on the
>function to re-size large images to fit into my viewport (Google it).
>So, the bottom right hand pic (ds_splash_pg02.jpg) shows up larger in
>IE7 than in SM. Other than that? I see no difference.
>
>Looks the same in:
>
>SeaMonkey
>Firefox
>Opera
>Safari
>
>Didn't check it in IE6 (I'd have to turn on another system and it's
>getting late here).


BTW, this is the issue between IE6 and the other two browsers I have:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...65/Firefox.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...lf65/Opera.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...kWolf65/IE.jpg
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lupine Predator
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-22-2008
On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 00:42:19 -0400, Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Lupine Predator wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 00:21:59 -0400, Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Lupine Predator wrote:
>>>> Hi, everyone. I just stumbled on this group, and I hope someone can
>>>> help me with this. I'm self-taught, and I've just started working on
>>>> a part-time basis doing web sites.
>>>>
>>>> A simple little site I built is causing problems in IE. Rather than
>>>> trying to explain it, I'll post the link. If you check this site in
>>>> Firefox or Opera, it's beautiful. But IE just screws everything up.
>>> How? What exactly are you seeing? What operating system and version of
>>> IE are you using?
>>>
>>>> http://www.deborahsprintshop.com
>>> dorayme's comments I second.
>>>
>>> Also, in SeaMonkey (a Mozilla-based browser) I have turned on the
>>> function to re-size large images to fit into my viewport (Google it).
>>> So, the bottom right hand pic (ds_splash_pg02.jpg) shows up larger in
>>> IE7 than in SM. Other than that? I see no difference.
>>>
>>> Looks the same in:
>>>
>>> SeaMonkey
>>> Firefox
>>> Opera
>>> Safari
>>>
>>> Didn't check it in IE6 (I'd have to turn on another system and it's
>>> getting late here).

>>
>> I'm running Opera, Firefox, and IE6. IE6 the image is HUGE, which
>> it's not supposed to be. It *should* look the way it does in Firefox
>> and Opera.

>Specify "width" and "height" in your "img" tag. I think that will do it.


I specified height - If I constrain both, the aspect ratio is all
screwed up - can't seem to find the right dimensions. And in the
other browsers, specifying just the height works fine.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ed Mullen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-22-2008
Lupine Predator wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 00:42:19 -0400, Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Lupine Predator wrote:
>>> On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 00:21:59 -0400, Ed Mullen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Lupine Predator wrote:
>>>>> Hi, everyone. I just stumbled on this group, and I hope someone can
>>>>> help me with this. I'm self-taught, and I've just started working on
>>>>> a part-time basis doing web sites.
>>>>>
>>>>> A simple little site I built is causing problems in IE. Rather than
>>>>> trying to explain it, I'll post the link. If you check this site in
>>>>> Firefox or Opera, it's beautiful. But IE just screws everything up.
>>>> How? What exactly are you seeing? What operating system and version of
>>>> IE are you using?
>>>>
>>>>> http://www.deborahsprintshop.com
>>>> dorayme's comments I second.
>>>>
>>>> Also, in SeaMonkey (a Mozilla-based browser) I have turned on the
>>>> function to re-size large images to fit into my viewport (Google it).
>>>> So, the bottom right hand pic (ds_splash_pg02.jpg) shows up larger in
>>>> IE7 than in SM. Other than that? I see no difference.
>>>>
>>>> Looks the same in:
>>>>
>>>> SeaMonkey
>>>> Firefox
>>>> Opera
>>>> Safari
>>>>
>>>> Didn't check it in IE6 (I'd have to turn on another system and it's
>>>> getting late here).
>>> I'm running Opera, Firefox, and IE6. IE6 the image is HUGE, which
>>> it's not supposed to be. It *should* look the way it does in Firefox
>>> and Opera.

>> Specify "width" and "height" in your "img" tag. I think that will do it.

>
> I specified height - If I constrain both, the aspect ratio is all
> screwed up - can't seem to find the right dimensions. And in the
> other browsers, specifying just the height works fine.


the dimensions should be the same as the original image file! don't use
these HTML tags to resize an image.

And, also, when I looked at your code I did not see any size specs.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net
As I said before, I never repeat myself.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cisco CCNA Course - Full Video Lecture Course -- Movie format nexrider@gmail.com Microsoft Certification 0 08-18-2008 08:43 PM
Free eLearning Course offer; Course catalog misrepresenting materi DoubleHelix Microsoft Certification 3 04-09-2008 12:53 PM
Try this Latest Firefox browser at http://browser.friendsrus.net subs2me@gmail.com Firefox 9 12-28-2005 09:20 AM
Course 2272 vs. Course 2285 Doug_Warwick MCSA 1 11-15-2005 08:51 PM
Browser information not being sent to the Domain Master Browser Russell Stamper Cisco 1 10-12-2004 08:14 PM



Advertisments