Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Asus: Windows EEE will outsell Linux EEE

Asus: Windows EEE will outsell Linux EEE

impossible

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,14...s/article.html

"Asustek Computer (Asus) predicts the Eee PC it has started selling with
Microsoft Windows XP Home edition on board will outsell the original
Linux-based version by a ratio of 6 to 4 in the market by the end of this
year, a heady prediction considering the Windows machine costs nearly twice
as much as the cheapest Linux one."

Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 01:51:51 +0000, impossible wrote:

> http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,14...s/article.html
>
> "Asustek Computer (Asus) predicts the Eee PC it has started selling with
> Microsoft Windows XP Home edition on board will outsell the original
> Linux-based version by a ratio of 6 to 4 in the market by the end of
> this year, a heady prediction considering the Windows machine costs
> nearly twice as much as the cheapest Linux one."

Sheeple buy what they are familiar with.

This fairly well explains the projected 3:2 sales difference.

This is also why MACs have so little market penetration despite a huge
marketing campaign in the USA.

also there is a general perception that cheaper means inferior - which
for the most part is true in a consumer-driven capitalist market.

However, a difference of 3:2 is still considerably better sales of pre-
installed Linux boxen than used to be even as little as one year ago; and
that is all good news.

--
Smoking Causes Lung Cancer

Franklin D Roosevelt: "We have always known that heedless self-interest
was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics."

peterwn

On Mar 22, 2:51 pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,14...s/article.html
>
> "Asustek Computer (Asus) predicts the Eee PC it has started selling with
> Microsoft Windows XP Home edition on board will outsell the original
> Linux-based version by a ratio of 6 to 4 in the market by the end of this
> year, a heady prediction considering the Windows machine costs nearly twice
> as much as the cheapest Linux one."

Windows XP on the Eee costs an extra $NZ100 at Dick Smiths.

The irony of this is actually delicious, since Microsoft plans to
phase out XP - thy will have to keep XP going for the likes of Eee or
concede that future Eee's will not run Microsoft.

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 21:54:10 -0700, peterwn wrote:

> The irony of this is actually delicious, since Microsoft plans to phase
> out XP - thy will have to keep XP going for the likes of Eee or concede
> that future Eee's will not run Microsoft.

I suspect that is why the next iteration of MS Windows will be much
leaner and much less of a resource hog than the current grossly bloated
MS WinNT6.

--
Smoking Causes Lung Cancer

Franklin D Roosevelt: "We have always known that heedless self-interest
was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics."

impossible

"Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 01:51:51 +0000, impossible wrote:
>
>> http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,14...s/article.html
>>
>> "Asustek Computer (Asus) predicts the Eee PC it has started selling with
>> Microsoft Windows XP Home edition on board will outsell the original
>> Linux-based version by a ratio of 6 to 4 in the market by the end of
>> this year, a heady prediction considering the Windows machine costs
>> nearly twice as much as the cheapest Linux one."

> Sheeple buy what they are familiar with.
>
> This fairly well explains the projected 3:2 sales difference.

LOL. Your trolling partner Lawrence has been peddling the EEE here for
months as...what did he call it?...oh, yeah, here it is: "the birth of an
important new market category--one where Microsoft doesn't have a place."

http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz....9eca6729883ba3

With Linux in the box, all ASUS could do was market the EEE as a toy for
children -- and disapppointing in-store sales by the world's largest
retailer, Walmart, were a clear sign that this wouldn't be a big enough
market for ASUS to meet its sales goal. It expects to unload only about 2
million of those Linux boxes now. By adding Windows, and beefing up the
memory/storage specs, ASUS is gambling now that it can make the EEE
attractive to a more demanding adult market.

Myself, I'm not convinced that the awkward EEE -- too little to be really
all that useful, and too big to be really all that handy -- is what lpeople
are really going to go for, Windows or no Windows. But it'll be interesting
now to see how other manufacturers adapt.

> This is also why MACs have so little market penetration despite a huge
> marketing campaign in the USA.

MACs have a level of market penetration that Linux developers drool over. In
the year it will take ASUS to unload 2 million Linux-based EEE's worldwidse,
Apple will have sold about 8 million OSX-based Macs. And instead of having
children playing with the Linux EEEs who generate next-to-nothing in demand
for added software/hardware services, the MAC's typically more spohisticated
and tech-saavy customers make a regular habit of generating a fortune in
after-market purchases.

> also there is a general perception that cheaper means inferior - which
> for the most part is true in a consumer-driven capitalist market.

Yes, there's that. And it doesn't help that so many COLA trolls have
tuirning bottom-feeding into a marketing strategy.

> However, a difference of 3:2 is still considerably better sales of pre-
> installed Linux boxen than used to be even as little as one year ago; and
> that is all good news.

With a 5-month head start in sales of Linux-based EEE's, that sounds about
right. The way Lawrence told the story many a time, Linux-based EE's were
supposed to be selling at the rate of 1 every 6 seconds, which would place
total Linux EEE sales now at about.....hmmm... 10 per minute, 600 per hour,
14400 per day, for 150 days = well, you can do the math and check, but even
allowing for the standard 30% Lawrence D'Oliveiro Exaggeration Factor, it's
looking to me as if Asus expects Windows EEE's to oursell Linux EE's in
head-to-head compeitition by a ratio of at **least** 3:1.

Bobs

peterwn wrote:
> On Mar 22, 2:51 pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,14...s/article.html
>>
>> "Asustek Computer (Asus) predicts the Eee PC it has started selling with
>> Microsoft Windows XP Home edition on board will outsell the original
>> Linux-based version by a ratio of 6 to 4 in the market by the end of this
>> year, a heady prediction considering the Windows machine costs nearly twice
>> as much as the cheapest Linux one."

> Windows XP on the Eee costs an extra $NZ100 at Dick Smiths.
>
> The irony of this is actually delicious, since Microsoft plans to
> phase out XP - thy will have to keep XP going for the likes of Eee or
> concede that future Eee's will not run Microsoft.

I don't know why they plan to phase out XP anyway. With SP2, it's a very
good operating system and doesn't need high end hardware to run. Ideal
for ultra portable laptops.

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 05:47:47 +0000, impossible wrote:

> Myself, I'm not convinced that the awkward EEE -- too little to be
> really all that useful, and too big to be really all that handy -- is
> what lpeople are really going to go for, Windows or no Windows. But
> it'll be interesting now to see how other manufacturers adapt.

I'm looking for a "laptop" computer that is compact enough to fit inside
a jacket pocket.

For what I'd want a laptop for most of them are simply too big to be
really convenient.

--

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 19:57:47 +1300, Bobs wrote:

> I don't know why they plan to phase out XP anyway. With SP2, it's a very
> good operating system and doesn't need high end hardware to run. Ideal
> for ultra portable laptops.

Because it's the previous iteration of M$ WindowsNT and now nearly 7
years since it was released!

--
Smoking Causes Lung Cancer

Franklin D Roosevelt: "We have always known that heedless self-interest
was bad morals; we know now that it is bad economics."

impossible

"Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 05:47:47 +0000, impossible wrote:
>
>> "Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message >>
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Sheeple buy what they are familiar with.
>>>
>>> This fairly well explains the projected 3:2 sales difference.
>>>

>> LOL. Your trolling partner Lawrence has been peddling the EEE here for
>> months as...what did he call it?...oh, yeah, here it is: "the birth of
>> an
>> important new market category--one where Microsoft doesn't have a place."
>>
>> http://groups.google.co.nz/group/nz....9eca6729883ba3
>>
>> With Linux in the box, all ASUS could do was market the EEE as a toy for
>> children -- and disapppointing in-store sales by the world's largest
>> retailer, Walmart, were a clear sign that this wouldn't be a big enough
>> market for ASUS to meet its sales goal. It expects to unload only about
>> 2
>> million of those Linux boxes now. By adding Windows, and beefing up the
>> memory/storage specs, ASUS is gambling now that it can make the EEE
>> attractive to a more demanding adult market.
>>
>> Myself, I'm not convinced that the awkward EEE -- too little to be
>> really all that useful, and too big to be really all that handy -- is
>> what lpeople are really going to go for, Windows or no Windows. But
>> it'll be interesting now to see how other manufacturers adapt.

> I'm looking for a "laptop" computer that is compact enough to fit inside
> a jacket pocket.
>
> For what I'd want a laptop for most of them are simply too big to be
> really convenient.

If you needs are limited then the Linux EEE might suit you. But ASUS at
least seems to have concluded that growing an ultra-mobile mass market can't
be done without Windows.

Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC) wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 19:57:47 +1300, Bobs wrote:
>
>> I don't know why they plan to phase out XP anyway. With SP2, it's a very
>> good operating system and doesn't need high end hardware to run. Ideal
>> for ultra portable laptops.

> Because it's the previous iteration of M$ WindowsNT and now nearly 7
> years since it was released!

So what? If it still has a niche in the market place, why not keep
selling it?