Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > What made my icons change?

What made my icons change?

*alan*

Today I noticed that the icons for all my jpg files (which are set to be
opened by Irfanview and which had always displayed an Irfanview icon) are
now displaying an icon which I determined to be associated with Microsoft
Office Picture Manager, an application which I had *never* used to open a
jpg, or anything else, for that matter. I opened the Picture Viewer and
checked that no files had been checked to associate with the viewer.
Irfanview, likewise, still showed all image files associated with Irfanview.
For the heck of it, I uninstalled Microsoft Office Professional 2003 (the
source of the Picture Viewer) and rebooted, and the icon *still* showed
Picture Viewer, even though Irfan opened it up as always. I reinstalled MS
Office Professional 2003, checked that image files were all associated with
Irfanview and, even though Irfanview does open them up, the icon still shows
Picture Viewer. What gives? I've even tried the "Open With" option,
deliberately chose Irfanview and checked the "always use this application"
box. As long as Irfanview continues to open my image files, this is only a
minor annoyance, but I'm curious as to how Microsoft weaseled its icon onto
my computer. . . .
Using XP Pro SP2.
Thanks.
--
Alan

Canon Guy

"*alan*" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4RYEj.65944$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> Today I noticed that the icons for all my jpg files (which are set to be
> opened by Irfanview and which had always displayed an Irfanview icon) are
> now displaying an icon which I determined to be associated with Microsoft
> Office Picture Manager, an application which I had *never* used to open a
> jpg, or anything else, for that matter.

snip

> Thanks.
> --
> Alan

It's called 'bit rot'.

*alan*

"Canon Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsH%Ej.25170$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> "*alan*" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4RYEj.65944$(E-Mail Removed). net...
>> Today I noticed that the icons for all my jpg files (which are set to be
>> opened by Irfanview and which had always displayed an Irfanview icon) are
>> now displaying an icon which I determined to be associated with Microsoft
>> Office Picture Manager, an application which I had *never* used to open a
>> jpg, or anything else, for that matter.

> snip
>
>> Thanks.
>> --
>> Alan

> It's called 'bit rot'.

Aha! -- I see. Well, that explains it perfectly. Thanks
--
alan