Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > How to temporarily disable network/Internet connection?

Reply
Thread Tools

How to temporarily disable network/Internet connection?

 
 
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2008
Hi
Disabling it in the control panel is more intrusive to the Network system
and might create unneeded trouble.
Disable it with ipconfig /release is the way the release of the network was
planned, and should be done to avoid troubles.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Neil Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Thanks, Jack.
>
> But is there some advantage to using batch files and ipconfig rather than
> just disabling, and later reenabling, the LAN from Control Panel (which
> seems a lot easier)?
>
> It may well be that McAfee and Weather Channel won't affect the games at
> all, as you suggest. Maybe my concern about this is premature.
>
> Neil
>
>
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>> Sorry I forgot the link, http://www.ezlan.net/iprel.html
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi
>>> Antivirus and Weather channel are Not a real factor in slowing down
>>> games on a decent gaming computer.
>>> Disconnecting temporarily from the network is very easy, make two batch
>>> files as described on the middle of this page.
>>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>>
>>>
>>> "Neil Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>>> The Windows XP Home computer in my living room is connected by Ethernet
>>>> cable to my D-Link DI-524 wireless router, my access point, which is
>>>> connected to my Motorola SB5120 cable modem. The WinXP Home system in
>>>> my office has a D-Link wireless PCI card, and the Win2000 Pro system in
>>>> my bedroom has a D-Link wireless USB device.
>>>>
>>>> The cable modem and access point are always on. Occasionally I would
>>>> like to temporarily disable the network and Internet connection on one
>>>> computer, mostly when I am playing a game that's very demanding of
>>>> computer resources, because I don't want things like my McAfee Security
>>>> Suite, Weather Channel, etc., coming in and using my CPU and HDD.
>>>>
>>>> How best to do this? In Control Panel I see that under Internet Gateway
>>>> I can disable my Internet connection, and under LAN or High-Speed
>>>> Internet I can disable my Local Area connection. Should I do both, or
>>>> only one? Is there likely to be any problem reestablishing the
>>>> connection afterward?
>>>>
>>>> Neil
>>>>
>>>

>>

>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2008
The problem is limited account can't release IPs. I know.. I know, limited
acct can't disable NIC either. Also, I don't know this for sure but I think
the PC may retry to automatically get an IP from DHCP server in the
background without us knowing.

I agree if you have another protocol (NetBEUI), releasing IPs is a great
idea to disable IP based connection (internet) and continue to use your
local network uninterrupted.

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> Disabling it in the control panel is more intrusive to the Network system
> and might create unneeded trouble.
> Disable it with ipconfig /release is the way the release of the network
> was planned, and should be done to avoid troubles.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Neil Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> Thanks, Jack.
>>
>> But is there some advantage to using batch files and ipconfig rather than
>> just disabling, and later reenabling, the LAN from Control Panel (which
>> seems a lot easier)?
>>
>> It may well be that McAfee and Weather Channel won't affect the games at
>> all, as you suggest. Maybe my concern about this is premature.
>>
>> Neil
>>
>>
>> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi
>>> Sorry I forgot the link, http://www.ezlan.net/iprel.html
>>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>>
>>> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>> Hi
>>>> Antivirus and Weather channel are Not a real factor in slowing down
>>>> games on a decent gaming computer.
>>>> Disconnecting temporarily from the network is very easy, make two batch
>>>> files as described on the middle of this page.
>>>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> "Neil Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>>>> The Windows XP Home computer in my living room is connected by
>>>>> Ethernet cable to my D-Link DI-524 wireless router, my access point,
>>>>> which is connected to my Motorola SB5120 cable modem. The WinXP Home
>>>>> system in my office has a D-Link wireless PCI card, and the Win2000
>>>>> Pro system in my bedroom has a D-Link wireless USB device.
>>>>>
>>>>> The cable modem and access point are always on. Occasionally I would
>>>>> like to temporarily disable the network and Internet connection on one
>>>>> computer, mostly when I am playing a game that's very demanding of
>>>>> computer resources, because I don't want things like my McAfee
>>>>> Security Suite, Weather Channel, etc., coming in and using my CPU and
>>>>> HDD.
>>>>>
>>>>> How best to do this? In Control Panel I see that under Internet
>>>>> Gateway I can disable my Internet connection, and under LAN or
>>>>> High-Speed Internet I can disable my Local Area connection. Should I
>>>>> do both, or only one? Is there likely to be any problem reestablishing
>>>>> the connection afterward?
>>>>>
>>>>> Neil
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>

>>
>>

>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Neil Harrington
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2008

"John" <a> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Neil Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>>
>>> I don't understand your logic here. If you don't want antivirus to
>>> consume CPU time, why disable internet connection? Why don't you disable
>>> your antivirus instead?

>>
>> I don't want to disable any part of the security suite while I'm still on
>> the Internet. It's the downloading and updating of virus definitions and
>> some other sorts of updating I'm concerned about using up CPU time, not
>> the running of the antivirus itself which I assume goes on mainly in the
>> background. McAfee does these downloadings and updates quite often.

>
> Ok, that makes more sense. However, I think McAfee scheduled updates may
> still attempt to connect until it times out because there's no
> connectivity. Wouldn't it be better to temporarily disable McAfee auto
> update?


Yes, I would do that too, probably just disable the whole McAfee Security
Suite.

>
>> For the time being I'm only using single-player games and have no reason
>> to have my Internet connection running on that computer while I'm doing
>> that.

>
> Disabling internet connection is quite easy. Disable your network card in
> Device Manager. That should do it.


OK, thanks. Would that be better than disabling the LAN in Control Panel, or
does it amount to the same thing?

Neil


 
Reply With Quote
 
Neil Harrington
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2008

"John" <a> wrote in message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> The problem is limited account can't release IPs. I know.. I know, limited
> acct can't disable NIC either.


I'm not sure what "limited account" means. I have an administrator account
(I guess; I'm the original and only user) -- doesn't that mean mine is not a
limited account?


> Also, I don't know this for sure but I think the PC may retry to
> automatically get an IP from DHCP server in the background without us
> knowing.
>
> I agree if you have another protocol (NetBEUI), releasing IPs is a great
> idea to disable IP based connection (internet) and continue to use your
> local network uninterrupted.


I don't think I'm using NetBEUI. I remember that (vaguely) from back when my
systems were Win98, but somewhere I got the impression that NetBEUI isn't
used anymore (whatever it is).

Sorry for my pitiful ignorance of this stuff, fellas. I can see I'll have to
learn a lot more about networking.

Neil


>
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>> Disabling it in the control panel is more intrusive to the Network system
>> and might create unneeded trouble.
>> Disable it with ipconfig /release is the way the release of the network
>> was planned, and should be done to avoid troubles.
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "Neil Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Thanks, Jack.
>>>
>>> But is there some advantage to using batch files and ipconfig rather
>>> than just disabling, and later reenabling, the LAN from Control Panel
>>> (which seems a lot easier)?
>>>
>>> It may well be that McAfee and Weather Channel won't affect the games at
>>> all, as you suggest. Maybe my concern about this is premature.
>>>
>>> Neil
>>>
>>>
>>> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>> Hi
>>>> Sorry I forgot the link, http://www.ezlan.net/iprel.html
>>>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>>>
>>>> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>> Hi
>>>>> Antivirus and Weather channel are Not a real factor in slowing down
>>>>> games on a decent gaming computer.
>>>>> Disconnecting temporarily from the network is very easy, make two
>>>>> batch files as described on the middle of this page.
>>>>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> "Neil Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>>>>> The Windows XP Home computer in my living room is connected by
>>>>>> Ethernet cable to my D-Link DI-524 wireless router, my access point,
>>>>>> which is connected to my Motorola SB5120 cable modem. The WinXP Home
>>>>>> system in my office has a D-Link wireless PCI card, and the Win2000
>>>>>> Pro system in my bedroom has a D-Link wireless USB device.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> The cable modem and access point are always on. Occasionally I would
>>>>>> like to temporarily disable the network and Internet connection on
>>>>>> one computer, mostly when I am playing a game that's very demanding
>>>>>> of computer resources, because I don't want things like my McAfee
>>>>>> Security Suite, Weather Channel, etc., coming in and using my CPU and
>>>>>> HDD.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> How best to do this? In Control Panel I see that under Internet
>>>>>> Gateway I can disable my Internet connection, and under LAN or
>>>>>> High-Speed Internet I can disable my Local Area connection. Should I
>>>>>> do both, or only one? Is there likely to be any problem
>>>>>> reestablishing the connection afterward?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Neil
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>

>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Neil Harrington
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2008
BTW, I probably should have mentioned that I just use the wireless router as
an access point so I can get on the Internet with any of these computers. I
don't have the computers networked together in any other way; I don't do
file sharing or printer sharing with them. So I don't know if there's a
"network system" in the sense you're probably using the term to get into any
trouble with.

Does this make any difference in your advice against using the Control Panel
to disconnect from the Internet?

Neil

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> Disabling it in the control panel is more intrusive to the Network system
> and might create unneeded trouble.
> Disable it with ipconfig /release is the way the release of the network
> was planned, and should be done to avoid troubles.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Neil Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> Thanks, Jack.
>>
>> But is there some advantage to using batch files and ipconfig rather than
>> just disabling, and later reenabling, the LAN from Control Panel (which
>> seems a lot easier)?
>>
>> It may well be that McAfee and Weather Channel won't affect the games at
>> all, as you suggest. Maybe my concern about this is premature.
>>
>> Neil
>>
>>
>> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi
>>> Sorry I forgot the link, http://www.ezlan.net/iprel.html
>>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>>
>>> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>> Hi
>>>> Antivirus and Weather channel are Not a real factor in slowing down
>>>> games on a decent gaming computer.
>>>> Disconnecting temporarily from the network is very easy, make two batch
>>>> files as described on the middle of this page.
>>>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> "Neil Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>>>> The Windows XP Home computer in my living room is connected by
>>>>> Ethernet cable to my D-Link DI-524 wireless router, my access point,
>>>>> which is connected to my Motorola SB5120 cable modem. The WinXP Home
>>>>> system in my office has a D-Link wireless PCI card, and the Win2000
>>>>> Pro system in my bedroom has a D-Link wireless USB device.
>>>>>
>>>>> The cable modem and access point are always on. Occasionally I would
>>>>> like to temporarily disable the network and Internet connection on one
>>>>> computer, mostly when I am playing a game that's very demanding of
>>>>> computer resources, because I don't want things like my McAfee
>>>>> Security Suite, Weather Channel, etc., coming in and using my CPU and
>>>>> HDD.
>>>>>
>>>>> How best to do this? In Control Panel I see that under Internet
>>>>> Gateway I can disable my Internet connection, and under LAN or
>>>>> High-Speed Internet I can disable my Local Area connection. Should I
>>>>> do both, or only one? Is there likely to be any problem reestablishing
>>>>> the connection afterward?
>>>>>
>>>>> Neil
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>

>>
>>

>



 
Reply With Quote
 
John
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2008

"Neil Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> I'm not sure what "limited account" means. I have an administrator account
> (I guess; I'm the original and only user) -- doesn't that mean mine is not
> a limited account?


I can't remember what it's called in WinXP Pro or Home. I'm looking at XP
Pro Group membership now. There are 3 types (or more): Standard User (power
users group), Restricted User (users group), Other (this can be
Administrators group). I meant to say a Restricted User.

Administrator account is unrestricted. I don't recommend browsing the
internet using Administrator account but that's another discussion.

> I don't think I'm using NetBEUI. I remember that (vaguely) from back when
> my systems were Win98, but somewhere I got the impression that NetBEUI
> isn't used anymore (whatever it is).


Correct. NetBEUI is obsolete but you still can manually install it in WinXP.


 
Reply With Quote
 
John
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2008

"Neil Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...

> OK, thanks. Would that be better than disabling the LAN in Control Panel,
> or does it amount to the same thing?


I have never tried disabling it from LAN in Network Connection. I supposed
it is the same as disabling the network card in Device Manager. Try it
yourself and see what happens to the network card in Device Manager. My
guess is it will have an icon that indicates it's disabled.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Neil Harrington
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2008

"John" <a> wrote in message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Neil Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> I'm not sure what "limited account" means. I have an administrator
>> account (I guess; I'm the original and only user) -- doesn't that mean
>> mine is not a limited account?

>
> I can't remember what it's called in WinXP Pro or Home. I'm looking at XP
> Pro Group membership now. There are 3 types (or more): Standard User
> (power users group), Restricted User (users group), Other (this can be
> Administrators group). I meant to say a Restricted User.
>
> Administrator account is unrestricted. I don't recommend browsing the
> internet using Administrator account but that's another discussion.


Really? There are security issues?

I'd have thought McAfee would be protecting me from any sort of mischief
since it seems to cover everything -- but what do I know. :-/

>
>> I don't think I'm using NetBEUI. I remember that (vaguely) from back when
>> my systems were Win98, but somewhere I got the impression that NetBEUI
>> isn't used anymore (whatever it is).

>
> Correct. NetBEUI is obsolete but you still can manually install it in
> WinXP.


Yes, I saw that described on the site that Jack linked to.

Neil


 
Reply With Quote
 
John
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-24-2008

"Neil Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>
>> Administrator account is unrestricted. I don't recommend browsing the
>> internet using Administrator account but that's another discussion.

>
> Really? There are security issues?


You're kidding, right? If there aren't issues, what are those service packs
+ monthly fixes for?

> I'd have thought McAfee would be protecting me from any sort of mischief
> since it seems to cover everything -- but what do I know. :-/


Having antivirus protection is good but it won't fully protect your PC.
There isn't any antivirus product out there that'll give you 100%
protection.


 
Reply With Quote
 
MarkSatterfield MarkSatterfield is offline
Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 86
 
      03-25-2008
For the computer with the external wireless adapter, just unplug the USB. That is the absolute easiest way.

--Mark

http://www.marksatterfield.com/
http://mark.a.satterfield.googlepages.com/
 

Last edited by MarkSatterfield; 03-26-2008 at 04:04 PM..
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: How include a large array? Edward A. Falk C Programming 1 04-04-2013 08:07 PM
How to Temporarily Disable Flash Player maradcliff@UNLISTED.com Firefox 7 07-27-2006 03:28 PM
How do I temporarily disable AVG 7? Franklin Computer Security 7 03-14-2005 08:11 PM
How do I temporarily disable a DVD player? John H. Power Computer Information 1 04-16-2004 11:46 PM
how can i disable a vpn group temporarily? Alex Cisco 0 01-19-2004 05:27 PM



Advertisments