Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How can I remove the dust which came inside my lens ?

How can I remove the dust which came inside my lens ?

Savageduck

On 2008-03-23 17:01:39 -0700, "Rita Berkowitz" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> Savageduck wrote:
>>

>> If wet cleaning is required I move to Eclipse + Pec pads and an
>> appropriately sized swab holder.
>>
>> It is always best to have the right tools for the job and I have found
>> Micro-Tools to be a great and reliable source of "huh!!! they have
>> that!" tools.
>> https://www.micro-tools.com/
>>
>> Any way take your time and be careful cleaning. Be aware that DSLRs
>> are vulnerable to dust, so change lenses carfully with that in mind
>> and you will find you may only have to clean that sensor once or
>> twice a year.

> Don't forget this!
>
> <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2006/sensor.htm>
>
> Rita

Ah ha!
I was wondering when the great RB (Rita Berkowitz) Pressurized Nikon
Cleaning System (RBPNCS) would make its appearance.

Here is Gypsy expressing her sage opinion on that.
http://snipr.com/22eja-yrbjcj

Regards,
Savageduck

C J Campbell

On 2008-03-23 01:42:40 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) said:

> On 22 mar, 23:29, C J Campbell <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

> I confirm : I applied one of the cleaning method advised on a web site
> (I took several pictures of my white LCD screen, equalized the color
> levels which revealed the dust). The method revealed many black dust
> spots. Taking the pictures with a different lens did not change the
> result. So, I have to clean the sensor.
>
>> Do a Google search on sensor cleaning. There are many methods, but it
>> requires a light touch. A lens cloth or any other material will
>> certainly leave lots of dust on the sensor. So you need the right
>> cleaning materials.
>>
>> Most camera stores sell sensor cleaning kits.

> I just ordered the Delkin SensorScope system (http://www.delkin.com/
> products/sensorscope/sensorsystem.html) which is one of the method
> advised on the www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com web site (advised by
> Savageduck)
> This system was advised on many other web sites so I suppose it is
> good.
> The advantage of the system is you can magnify and see the dust on the
> sensor so you can directly check if the it is clean.
>
> Thanks for helping.

I use that one myself. I think it is badly overpriced, though.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

for.fun@laposte.net

On 24 mar, 03:38, C J Campbell <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> I use that one myself. I think it is badly overpriced, though.

Hi again,

I discovered that Nikon offers a dust correction system called "Image
Dust Off" coupled with the Nikon Capture 4 software.
You take a reference picture from the camera (you have to take the
picture at 10 cm from a white screen) and it serves as a reference for
eliminating the dust on all the subsequent pictures.
In order to do that, you have to buy the Nikon Capture 4 software
(unfortunately, you have to buy it so I just tried it).
Another constraint is the picture has to be stored as a raw NEF
picture (Nikon picture format) in order to be processable by Nikon
Capture.

The results were quite good when I applied it on my dust test picture.

BEFORE DUST OFF: http://webpollux.free.fr/public/6a3c...e_dust_off.jpg
AFTER DUST OFF: http://webpollux.free.fr/public/6a3c...e_dust_off.jpg

But the results were really bad when I applied it to my cushion's
picture as you can see below:

BEFORE DUST OFF: http://webpollux.free.fr/public/6a3c...e_dust_off.jpg
AFTER DUST OFF: http://webpollux.free.fr/public/6a3c...e_dust_off.jpg

Consequenlty, I won't buy the Nikon software and wait a few days for
receiving my sensor cleaning kit (a physical action is always better
than a software one)
I have no idea why my results were so bad for the second test whereas
they were good for the first one => I suppose that it is due to the
picture complexity in the 2nd case.

Marcin

Uzytkownik <(E-Mail Removed)> napisal w wiadomosci
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> A few weeks ago, I noticed that there was some dust on my lens (this
> is the original zoom provided with the Nikon D70 camera) so I used a
> really bad quality rag (I did not know it was so bad as this time) to
> clean the lens.
> Unfortunately, some small pieces of rag came inside the lens (and came
> between the lenses).
>
> Actually, I do not know how to remove the dust which came inside. I do
> not want to disassemble the lens because I am pretty sure I will not
> how to reassemble it right. Moreover I am afraid of adding some more
> dust doing this.
> Now, I have plenty of dark spots all all the pictures I take !
>
> Does anyone have an idea which could help ?
>
> Thanks in advance.

You can keep the lens as it is or there is only one solution - professional
service.
Don't try other methods.

Marcin
www.gorgolewski.com

David Ruether

"Marcin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:fsbok5$3lc$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Uzytkownik <(E-Mail Removed)> napisal w wiadomosci news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> A few weeks ago, I noticed that there was some dust on my lens (this
>> is the original zoom provided with the Nikon D70 camera) so I used a
>> really bad quality rag (I did not know it was so bad as this time) to
>> clean the lens.
>> Unfortunately, some small pieces of rag came inside the lens (and came
>> between the lenses).
>>
>> Actually, I do not know how to remove the dust which came inside. I do
>> not want to disassemble the lens because I am pretty sure I will not
>> how to reassemble it right. Moreover I am afraid of adding some more
>> dust doing this.
>> Now, I have plenty of dark spots all all the pictures I take !
>>
>> Does anyone have an idea which could help

> You can keep the lens as it is or there is only one solution - professional service.
> Don't try other methods.

As has been pointed out in many posts above, the problem is not
with the lens but with the sensor...
--DR

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

"Marcin" <(E-Mail Removed)>
news:fsbok5$3lc$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Uzytkownik <(E-Mail Removed)> napisal w wiadomosci
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > A few weeks ago, I noticed that there was some dust on my lens (this
> > is the original zoom provided with the Nikon D70 camera) so I used a
> > really bad quality rag (I did not know it was so bad as this time) to
> > clean the lens.
> > Unfortunately, some small pieces of rag came inside the lens (and came
> > between the lenses).
> >
> > Actually, I do not know how to remove the dust which came inside. I do
> > not want to disassemble the lens because I am pretty sure I will not
> > how to reassemble it right. Moreover I am afraid of adding some more
> > dust doing this.
> > Now, I have plenty of dark spots all all the pictures I take !
> >
> > Does anyone have an idea which could help ?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >

> You can keep the lens as it is or there is only one solution -

professional
> service.
> Don't try other methods.

Hi,
my Tamron 24 mm f 2.5 Nikon FM mount, which I used with my Nikon FM-2, I
left it over in my basement-flat in Kozani (where I was studying, in
northern Greece) which was very humid. The result was that fungi developed
inside the lens. The vendor (a good friend of mine too) said we could cover
it under the guarantee and I had it cleaned for free. I strongly recommend
you seek professional service, at least *they* have the responsibility.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

"Marcin" <(E-Mail Removed)>
news:fsbok5$3lc$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Uzytkownik <(E-Mail Removed)> napisal w wiadomosci
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > A few weeks ago, I noticed that there was some dust on my lens (this
> > is the original zoom provided with the Nikon D70 camera) so I used a
> > really bad quality rag (I did not know it was so bad as this time) to
> > clean the lens.
> > Unfortunately, some small pieces of rag came inside the lens (and came
> > between the lenses).
> >
> > Actually, I do not know how to remove the dust which came inside. I do
> > not want to disassemble the lens because I am pretty sure I will not
> > how to reassemble it right. Moreover I am afraid of adding some more
> > dust doing this.
> > Now, I have plenty of dark spots all all the pictures I take !
> >
> > Does anyone have an idea which could help ?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >

> You can keep the lens as it is or there is only one solution -

professional
> service.
> Don't try other methods.

Hi,
my Tamron 24 mm f 2.5 Nikon FM mount, which I used with my Nikon FM-2, I
left it over in my basement-flat in Kozani (where I was studying, in
northern Greece) which was very humid. The result was that fungi developed
inside the lens. The vendor (a good friend of mine too) said we could cover
it under the guarantee and I had it cleaned for free. I strongly recommend
you seek professional service, at least *they* have the responsibility.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering
mechanized infantry reservist
hordad AT otenet DOT gr

for.fun@laposte.net

On 24 mar, 04:38, C J Campbell <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> I use that one myself. I think it is badly overpriced, though.

Yes, it is and I really should have listened to your advice before
buying this expensive kit.
Anyway, I am not a professional and succeeded in cleaning (not
perfectly but better than before) my sensor.

Here are the test photos I took:

BEFORE CLEANING: http://webpollux.free.fr/public/6a3c...e_dust_off.jpg
AFTER CLEANING: http://webpollux.free.fr/public/6a3c...r_cleaning.jpg

Even if most of you certainly know how to do this, I wanted to post my
novice experience because I think a novice point of view and way of
doing could also help other novices

First of all, I think the Delkin kit is really overpriced and is a
very poor quality system (I was even able to notice this at first
glance).
The SensorVac stopped working after only 10 mins of use.
I decided to open it to see what was going wrong : I noticed that one
the of welding was broken. I supposed the package was shocked during
the transport from US to France.
Anyway, all the system is very fragile. The brush does not fit
correctly to the vacuum cleaner body so I had to constantly press it
with my fingers (which is not very confortable !)
The main problem is it can fall on the sensor while you are removing
it. Consequently, it can damage/dirty the sensor which is a very bad
point for the kit.

The magnifier allows you to see the dust but the precision is really
poor. It did not allow me to see very little pieces of dust.
Indeed, whereas I thought the sensor was clean, I was able to still
see many dust spots after the photo test.
One more inconvenience is it is very hard to detect the dust's
presence because the sensor reflect a part of the outside light like a
mirror.
You have to rotate it many times to see the dust which increases the
risk of putting some more dust on the sensor (this is a vicious
circle !).
Consequently, I think the only good test you should do is taking a
picture of your white LCD screen (as described on many web sites),
equalize the colors and see if it is clean.

Finally, I followed exactly the guide's method for cleaning the sensor
with the moisten wand : even with the provided anti-static wand, some
small pieces of dust left the wand and sticked the sensor.
Consequently, I had to reproduce the same operation (each time with a
new wand) to get a quite clean sensor.

Of course, the chamber and the inside lens has to be perfectly clean
otherwise, the sensor will be dirty again once the mirror goes down.
You also have to re-install the lens before letting the mirror going
down otherwise the outside dust come on the sensor again.

I decided to stop with the result showed on my picture because I did
not want to over-clean and damage the sensor.
The dust spots are not visible on a regular picture with details so it
suits me well. I will do better next time.

Conclusion: Do not buy the Delkin kit. I think there are many cheaper
and more efficient products.

Savageduck

On 2008-04-01 12:26:48 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) said:

> On 24 mar, 04:38, C J Campbell <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> I use that one myself. I think it is badly overpriced, though.

> Yes, it is and I really should have listened to your advice before
> buying this expensive kit.

> Conclusion: Do not buy the Delkin kit. I think there are many cheaper
> and more efficient products.

....and there you have it.
Stick to the simple methods already detailed in this thread. The Delkin
system is over priced and leads buyers to believe the problem will be
solved by throwing cash at it. There is no easy fix.

Use a hand blower (never canned air!!!), clean brushes (for mirror
chamber and sensor low pass filter) and if a wet clean is required, PEC
pads with correctly sized pad holder and Eclipse fluid.

ALWAYS TAKE YOUR TIME! and repeat as needed.

Regards,

Savageduck

for.fun@laposte.net

On 2 avr, 04:38, Savageduck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> ...and there you have it.

Unfortunately, yes.

> Use a hand blower (never canned air!!!), clean brushes (for mirror
> chamber and sensor low pass filter)

On the one hand, I get a little bit confused because some people
advised not to use a hand blower because you can inject some moisture
inside the system and simply move the dust from one place to another
(that's why I thought the vacuum cleaner was a pretty good idea).
On the other hand, as you said, I heard many people telling some good
things about the Eclipse product. I am going to buy it for the next
time.

> ALWAYS TAKE YOUR TIME! and repeat as needed.

.... and that's what I did.
You could also add "... and keep cool !".

A lens so awful the image looks like it came from a mid-levelsuperzoom P&S RichA Digital Photography 11 06-17-2010 07:17 AM
which came first? owen MCAD 4 11-15-2004 09:43 PM
DVD Verdict reviews: DUST TO DUST (POR LA LIBRE), HANGIN' WITH THE HOMEBOYS, and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 0 02-26-2004 10:04 AM
Apply this security update which came from the MS Corp. William Newsom ASP .Net 1 09-24-2003 10:39 AM

Advertisments