Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How can I remove the dust which came inside my lens ?

How can I remove the dust which came inside my lens ?

for.fun@laposte.net

Hi all,

A few weeks ago, I noticed that there was some dust on my lens (this
is the original zoom provided with the Nikon D70 camera) so I used a
really bad quality rag (I did not know it was so bad as this time) to
clean the lens.
Unfortunately, some small pieces of rag came inside the lens (and came
between the lenses).

Actually, I do not know how to remove the dust which came inside. I do
not want to disassemble the lens because I am pretty sure I will not
how to reassemble it right. Moreover I am afraid of adding some more
dust doing this.
Now, I have plenty of dark spots all all the pictures I take !

Does anyone have an idea which could help ?

Thanks in advance.

David Ruether

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> A few weeks ago, I noticed that there was some dust on my lens (this
> is the original zoom provided with the Nikon D70 camera) so I used a
> really bad quality rag (I did not know it was so bad as this time) to
> clean the lens.
> Unfortunately, some small pieces of rag came inside the lens (and came
> between the lenses).
>
> Actually, I do not know how to remove the dust which came inside. I do
> not want to disassemble the lens because I am pretty sure I will not
> how to reassemble it right. Moreover I am afraid of adding some more
> dust doing this.
> Now, I have plenty of dark spots all all the pictures I take !
>
> Does anyone have an idea which could help ?

It is very unlikely that the dust in the lens (or on the front or
rear, if any is still there) will be imaged. Such dust generally
just acts to "slow" the lens a tiny fraction, and its effects should
not be seen except under VERY unusual conditions. Much
more likely is your seeing the effects of dust on the sensor,
where it can cast fairly sharp shadows, especially when small
lens stops are used. Since you are having trouble cleaning glass,
maybe you should have the sensor professionally cleaned...
--
David Ruether
www.donferrario.com/ruether

for.fun@laposte.net

On 20 mar, 22:31, "David Ruether" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It is very unlikely that the dust in the lens (or on the front or
> rear, if any is still there) will be imaged. Such dust generally
> just acts to "slow" the lens a tiny fraction, and its effects should
> not be seen except under VERY unusual conditions.

OK so the dust is probably not inside the lens and even if it was the
case, I would not see it on the pictures.
That's good news because it did not see any way to remove it but
dissamble the lens.

> Much more likely is your seeing the effects of dust on the sensor,
> where it can cast fairly sharp shadows, especially when small
> lens stops are used. Since you are having trouble cleaning glass,
> maybe you should have the sensor professionally cleaned...

That's probably a good advice but I really would like to try doing it
myself.
I will not do the same mistake twice : I will avoid using a dirty or
bad quality rag and read the advices from the forum.

=> Do I need a special tool for this ?

Thanks in advance.

Neil Ellwood

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 04:06:34 -0700, for.fun wrote:

> That's probably a good advice but I really would like to try doing it
> myself.
> I will not do the same mistake twice : I will avoid using a dirty or bad
> quality rag and read the advices from the forum.

To clean your lens first see if a blower lens brush will work (don't
press the brush on the lens) if this doesn't work use lens cleaner on a
proper lens cloth dipping a small part of the cloth into the cleaner,
wipe the soiled surface of the lens with moist cloth allowing the weight
of the cloth to do the work ( whatever you do don't press on the cloth)
and allow to dry. Make a point of keeping the lens cap on the lens as
much as possible and cleaning could then become a fairly rare event.

> => Do I need a special tool for this ?

Yes. It is just behind the eyes i.e. before doing anything to a lens -
THINK.

--
Neil
reverse ra and delete l

George Kerby

On 3/21/08 6:06 AM, in article
89179a68-abaf-4d90-8792-9beb9042f2ca...oglegroups.com,

> On 20 mar, 22:31, "David Ruether" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> => Do I need a special tool for this ?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Any hammer will do. Go for it!

Seriously, if you have to ask that question, you should not proceed to
destroy the lens.

George Kerby

On 3/21/08 7:38 AM, in article (E-Mail Removed), "Neil
Ellwood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 04:06:34 -0700, for.fun wrote:
>
>> That's probably a good advice but I really would like to try doing it
>> myself.
>> I will not do the same mistake twice : I will avoid using a dirty or bad
>> quality rag and read the advices from the forum.

> To clean your lens first see if a blower lens brush will work (don't
> press the brush on the lens) if this doesn't work use lens cleaner on a
> proper lens cloth dipping a small part of the cloth into the cleaner,
> wipe the soiled surface of the lens with moist cloth allowing the weight
> of the cloth to do the work ( whatever you do don't press on the cloth)
> and allow to dry. Make a point of keeping the lens cap on the lens as
> much as possible and cleaning could then become a fairly rare event.
>>
>> => Do I need a special tool for this ?

> Yes. It is just behind the eyes i.e. before doing anything to a lens -
> THINK.

Exactly.

for.fun@laposte.net

On 21 mar, 13:38, Neil Ellwood <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> To clean your lens first see if a blower lens brush will work (don't
> press the brush on the lens) if this doesn't work use lens cleaner on a
> proper lens cloth dipping a small part of the cloth into the cleaner,
> wipe the soiled surface of the lens with moist cloth allowing the weight
> of the cloth to do the work ( whatever you do don't press on the cloth)
> and allow to dry. Make a point of keeping the lens cap on the lens as
> much as possible and cleaning could then become a fairly rare event.

The dust problem occurred because I took some pictures in the street
and I had to oftenly switch between my 2 lenses.
The street is not the best place for swapping the lenses but I had no
choice since some of my pictures had to be taken with a specific lens.
I took care but I could not avoid some dust from coming inside.

> Yes. It is just behind the eyes i.e. before doing anything to a lens -
> THINK.

Of course, I think and that's why I prefer posting here before doing.
In facts, I asked this because I was not speaking about the lens but
about the electronic sensor.
I do not want to permanently damage the sensor because I suppose you
do not clean it the same way as the lens.

irwell

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 07:43:32 -0700 (PDT), (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On 21 mar, 13:38, Neil Ellwood <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>> To clean your lens first see if a blower lens brush will work (don't
>> press the brush on the lens) if this doesn't work use lens cleaner on a
>> proper lens cloth dipping a small part of the cloth into the cleaner,
>> wipe the soiled surface of the lens with moist cloth allowing the weight
>> of the cloth to do the work ( whatever you do don't press on the cloth)
>> and allow to dry. Make a point of keeping the lens cap on the lens as
>> much as possible and cleaning could then become a fairly rare event.

>The dust problem occurred because I took some pictures in the street
>and I had to oftenly switch between my 2 lenses.
>The street is not the best place for swapping the lenses but I had no
>choice since some of my pictures had to be taken with a specific lens.
>I took care but I could not avoid some dust from coming inside.
>
>> Yes. It is just behind the eyes i.e. before doing anything to a lens -
>> THINK.

>Of course, I think and that's why I prefer posting here before doing.
>In facts, I asked this because I was not speaking about the lens but
>about the electronic sensor.
>I do not want to permanently damage the sensor because I suppose you
>do not clean it the same way as the lens.

Do a Google search, there are people who have done this
and give good tear down instructions complete with photos.

Some cameras are prone to getting small amounts of lint
inside them, so a good bag is the best protection and care
with cleaning, as you now know.

for.fun@laposte.net

On 21 mar, 16:36, irwell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Do a Google search, there are people who have done this
> and give good tear down instructions complete with photos.

I already did a search but there are several methods : some of them
involve a vacuum cleaner and some others a cleaning liquid.
Anyway, I am going to search deeper.

> Some cameras are prone to getting small amounts of lint
> inside them, so a good bag is the best protection and care
> with cleaning, as you now know.

Thanks for the bag's trick.

Roy G

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> A few weeks ago, I noticed that there was some dust on my lens (this
> is the original zoom provided with the Nikon D70 camera) so I used a
> really bad quality rag (I did not know it was so bad as this time) to
> clean the lens.
> Unfortunately, some small pieces of rag came inside the lens (and came
> between the lenses).
>
> Actually, I do not know how to remove the dust which came inside. I do
> not want to disassemble the lens because I am pretty sure I will not
> how to reassemble it right. Moreover I am afraid of adding some more
> dust doing this.
> Now, I have plenty of dark spots all all the pictures I take !
>
> Does anyone have an idea which could help ?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Judging by the level of technical expertise, you have displayed so far, I
would seriously advise that you get your camera sensor cleaned by a
professional repairer.

Damaging a lens is serious, but damaging the sensor is fatal to the camera.

Roy G

A lens so awful the image looks like it came from a mid-levelsuperzoom P&S RichA Digital Photography 11 06-17-2010 07:17 AM
which came first? owen MCAD 4 11-15-2004 09:43 PM
DVD Verdict reviews: DUST TO DUST (POR LA LIBRE), HANGIN' WITH THE HOMEBOYS, and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 0 02-26-2004 10:04 AM
Apply this security update which came from the MS Corp. William Newsom ASP .Net 1 09-24-2003 10:39 AM

Advertisments