Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Q about text sizing in browsers.

Q about text sizing in browsers.

Mike Barnard

Hi.

Simple question really. When I press ctrl + in FF or IE the text
increases in size. But there is no indicator to tell me how much by.

(I guess there is info in the help somewhere, but that doesn't give me
an excuse to post here and be a nuicance!)

How can I tell what %age the text has been increased or reduced by?
OK, it's larger or smaller, but is it 200%? 300%? 12%? Is it hidden
away on an extension I might be able to get somewhere?

Thanks.

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mike Barnard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Simple question really. When I press ctrl + in FF or IE the text
> increases in size. But there is no indicator to tell me how much by.
>
> (I guess there is info in the help somewhere, but that doesn't give me
> an excuse to post here and be a nuicance!)
>
> How can I tell what %age the text has been increased or reduced by?
> OK, it's larger or smaller, but is it 200%? 300%? 12%? Is it hidden
> away on an extension I might be able to get somewhere?
>
> Thanks.

Easy, you open Opera (don't you read what I say to Ed? I
indicated this yesterday in a post in reply to him... <g>) and
you get the text to be the same size by eye as in FF. In Opera,
it tells you the % zoom. It is a different mechanism but I think
it is a reasonably accurate comparison re font-size.

--
dorayme

Andrew Bailey

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Mike Barnard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> Simple question really. When I press ctrl + in FF or IE the text
>> increases in size. But there is no indicator to tell me how much by.
>>
>> (I guess there is info in the help somewhere, but that doesn't give me
>> an excuse to post here and be a nuicance!)
>>
>> How can I tell what %age the text has been increased or reduced by?
>> OK, it's larger or smaller, but is it 200%? 300%? 12%? Is it hidden
>> away on an extension I might be able to get somewhere?
>>
>> Thanks.

> Easy, you open Opera (don't you read what I say to Ed? I
> indicated this yesterday in a post in reply to him... <g>) and
> you get the text to be the same size by eye as in FF. In Opera,
> it tells you the % zoom. It is a different mechanism but I think
> it is a reasonably accurate comparison re font-size.
>
> --
> dorayme

Hi Mike,

You're gonna kick yourself...

When you scale the font size using ctrl + (or ctrl and scroll wheel) the
browser cycles through a preset range of sizes.

The exact same range of sizes is accessible from the menu bar by clicking
VIEW > TEXT SIZE, and in that menu you will find the default size labeled
NORMAL in FF and MEDIUM in IE.

Hope this helps

Andy

dorayme

In article <1dEEj.36384$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Andrew Bailey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Mike Barnard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi.
> >>
> >> Simple question really. When I press ctrl + in FF or IE the text
> >> increases in size. But there is no indicator to tell me how much by.
> >>
> >> (I guess there is info in the help somewhere, but that doesn't give me
> >> an excuse to post here and be a nuicance!)
> >>
> >> How can I tell what %age the text has been increased or reduced by?
> >> OK, it's larger or smaller, but is it 200%? 300%? 12%? Is it hidden
> >> away on an extension I might be able to get somewhere?
> >>
> >> Thanks.

> > Easy, you open Opera and
> > you get the text to be the same size by eye as in FF. In Opera,
> > it tells you the % zoom. It is a different mechanism but I think
> > it is a reasonably accurate comparison re font-size.
> >

> You're gonna kick yourself...
>
> When you scale the font size using ctrl + (or ctrl and scroll wheel) the
> browser cycles through a preset range of sizes.
>
> The exact same range of sizes is accessible from the menu bar by clicking
> VIEW > TEXT SIZE, and in that menu you will find the default size labeled
> NORMAL in FF and MEDIUM in IE.
>

> Hope this helps

How can it help? The question is about what Medium is as a
percentage. On a Mac at least, there is nothing on this in the
View menu.

--
dorayme

Bergamot

Mike Barnard wrote:

> Simple question really. When I press ctrl + in FF or IE the text
> increases in size. But there is no indicator to tell me how much by.
>
> How can I tell what %age the text has been increased or reduced by?

FYI, CTRL+ in IE7 is page zoom, not text zoom. It shows the % down in
the right corner of the status bar. Text zoom is accessed in the View
menu, and there are only 5 choices there.

Firefox should be using the same steps as Seamonkey. SM shows the % in
View->Text Zoom menu.

> OK, it's larger or smaller, but is it 200%? 300%? 12%?

Does it really matter?

--
Berg

BootNic

Mike Barnard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi.
>
> Simple question really. When I press ctrl + in FF or IE the text
> increases in size. But there is no indicator to tell me how much by.
>
> (I guess there is info in the help somewhere, but that doesn't give me
> an excuse to post here and be a nuicance!)
>
> How can I tell what %age the text has been increased or reduced by?
> OK, it's larger or smaller, but is it 200%? 300%? 12%? Is it hidden
> away on an extension I might be able to get somewhere?

For IE:
[kbd]javascript:alert(document.body.currentStyle.fontSi ze)[/kbd]
pretty much useless in IE.

For others:
[kbd]javascript:alert(document.defaultView.getComputedS tyle
(document.body,'').fontSize)[/kbd]

--
BootNic Thursday March 20, 2008 11:41 PM
It is well known that "problem avoidance" is an important part of

Travis Newbury

On Mar 20, 9:30 pm, "Andrew Bailey" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> You're gonna kick yourself...
> When you scale the font size using ctrl + (or ctrl and scroll wheel) the
> browser cycles through a preset range of sizes.
> The exact same range of sizes is accessible from the menu bar by clicking
> VIEW > TEXT SIZE, and in that menu you will find the default size labeled
> NORMAL in FF and MEDIUM in IE.
> Hope this helps

I believe it has helped quite a few people. Er... Not that I was one
of them...

Neredbojias

On 21 Mar 2008, Travis Newbury wrote:

> On Mar 20, 9:30 pm, "Andrew Bailey" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> You're gonna kick yourself...
>> When you scale the font size using ctrl + (or ctrl and scroll wheel)
>> the browser cycles through a preset range of sizes.
>> The exact same range of sizes is accessible from the menu bar by
>> clicking VIEW > TEXT SIZE, and in that menu you will find the default
>> size labeled NORMAL in FF and MEDIUM in IE.
>> Hope this helps

> I believe it has helped quite a few people. Er... Not that I was one
> of them...

Are you saying that you already knew it or that you're just generally
beyond help of any kind?

--
Neredbojias
http://www.neredbojias.com/

Travis Newbury

On Mar 21, 10:39 am, Neredbojias <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I believe it has helped quite a few people. Er... Not that I was one
> > of them...

> Are you saying that you already knew it or that you're just generally
> beyond help of any kind?

WAY beyond help

mynameisnobodyodyssea@googlemail.com

On Mar 20, 8:44 pm, Mike Barnard <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Simple question really. When I press ctrl + in FF or IE the text
> increases in size. But there is no indicator to tell me how much by.
>
> (I guess there is info in the help somewhere, but that doesn't give me
> an excuse to post here and be a nuicance!)
>
> How can I tell what %age the text has been increased or reduced by?
> OK, it's larger or smaller, but is it 200%? 300%? 12%? Is it hidden
> away on an extension I might be able to get somewhere?
>
> Thanks.

I do not know if Firefox 3 shows the
magnification factor for text only zoom.
I think that Firefox 3 is still in beta tests
and I did not use it yet.

Text sizing -- ems versus percent Kabuki Armadillo HTML 12 05-31-2008 11:29 PM
form elements: sizing of text areas gerg HTML 4 12-16-2005 12:57 PM
Sizing text entry boxes on in-place editing of datagrid row with dynamically created columns Keefe Goldfisher via .NET 247 ASP .Net Datagrid Control 0 03-07-2005 07:00 PM
TEXT SIZING buttons Jeff Firefox 0 09-18-2004 05:10 PM
Question Regarding Text Sizing Douglas Pollock Javascript 1 06-28-2004 03:05 PM

Advertisments