Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Is the Anytime Upgrade 64-Bit?

Is the Anytime Upgrade 64-Bit?

Sarahzsmyl

I have Business x64. I'm seriously thinking about upgrading to Ultimate, but
I don't want to lose my x64 OS. I can't find anything on the site about
whether or not I can upgrade to a 64-bit version of Ultimate with the Anytime
Upgrade. You know what they say, once you go x64, you never go back...

Has anyone else run into this?

Mark

The WAU is only a license file.
By starting this file, Vista will upgrade your current version x86 or x64 to
the version you purchase.

In my case, I originally started with Vista Home Premium x86 as an upgrade.
I then bought Vista Ultimate as a WAU license and did an in-place upgrade
without any loss of data.

Later, I decided to go the x64 route, but this is where it gets complicated:
1. x64 is a clean install the first time around. So, you need to save all
your data somewhere else.
2. WAU will only upgrade from the path you purchase.
So, in my case, to get to Vista Ultimate, I had to clean install to
Vista Home Premium x64 and activate it.
Then, use the license file to upgrade to Vista Ultimate x64. (No
loss of data on this install.)

It will not work any other way. I've tried.

WAU requires that the current installed version being upgraded is activated.
This means you will be making a phone call to activate and will need to
speak to a person.

To save yourself the double install later, make a complete backup after
completing all updates. Then, if ever needed, just restore this "clean"
install as your starting point. (Much faster than the installs and it will
already be activated.)

"Sarahzsmyl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have Business x64. I'm seriously thinking about upgrading to Ultimate,

but
> I don't want to lose my x64 OS. I can't find anything on the site about
> whether or not I can upgrade to a 64-bit version of Ultimate with the

Anytime
> Upgrade. You know what they say, once you go x64, you never go back...
>
> Has anyone else run into this?

Charlie Russel - MVP

You should be able to do a direct Anytime Upgrade to Vista Ultimate 64-bit
from your existing Business 64bit without having to re-install.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Sarahzsmyl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have Business x64. I'm seriously thinking about upgrading to Ultimate,
>but
> I don't want to lose my x64 OS. I can't find anything on the site about
> whether or not I can upgrade to a 64-bit version of Ultimate with the
> Anytime
> Upgrade. You know what they say, once you go x64, you never go back...
>
> Has anyone else run into this?

Mark H

That is correct.
But, should you ever have to re-install Vista, you will have to do it twice
as mentioned in my other post.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You should be able to do a direct Anytime Upgrade to Vista Ultimate 64-bit
> from your existing Business 64bit without having to re-install.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "Sarahzsmyl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have Business x64. I'm seriously thinking about upgrading to Ultimate,
> >but
> > I don't want to lose my x64 OS. I can't find anything on the site about
> > whether or not I can upgrade to a 64-bit version of Ultimate with the
> > Anytime
> > Upgrade. You know what they say, once you go x64, you never go back...
> >
> > Has anyone else run into this?

Sarahzsmyl

Thanks for replying. I'm still a little confused.

I know I can upgrade 64 to 64, but my concern is that there's no longer a
direct download. If it were, it wouldn't be an issue, it would download the
64-bit version as that's all that's compatible with my OS. I have to purchase
the discs. No where in the upgrade does it say whether or not it's 64 vs 32.

It also says to use the upgrade advisor...that's NOT compatible 64-bit
versions of windows. I don't want to buy the Business to Ultimate upgrade,
receive it and not be able to install. Does that make better sense?

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> You should be able to do a direct Anytime Upgrade to Vista Ultimate 64-bit
> from your existing Business 64bit without having to re-install.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "Sarahzsmyl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have Business x64. I'm seriously thinking about upgrading to Ultimate,
> >but
> > I don't want to lose my x64 OS. I can't find anything on the site about
> > whether or not I can upgrade to a 64-bit version of Ultimate with the
> > Anytime
> > Upgrade. You know what they say, once you go x64, you never go back...
> >
> > Has anyone else run into this?

Colin Barnhorst

There is a 'contact us' link on the AU page. Get confirmation there.

"Sarahzsmyl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for replying. I'm still a little confused.
>
> I know I can upgrade 64 to 64, but my concern is that there's no longer a
> direct download. If it were, it wouldn't be an issue, it would download
> the
> 64-bit version as that's all that's compatible with my OS. I have to
> purchase
> the discs. No where in the upgrade does it say whether or not it's 64 vs
> 32.
>
> It also says to use the upgrade advisor...that's NOT compatible 64-bit
> versions of windows. I don't want to buy the Business to Ultimate upgrade,
> receive it and not be able to install. Does that make better sense?
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> You should be able to do a direct Anytime Upgrade to Vista Ultimate
>> 64-bit
>> from your existing Business 64bit without having to re-install.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> "Sarahzsmyl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I have Business x64. I'm seriously thinking about upgrading to Ultimate,
>> >but
>> > I don't want to lose my x64 OS. I can't find anything on the site
>> > about
>> > whether or not I can upgrade to a 64-bit version of Ultimate with the
>> > Anytime
>> > Upgrade. You know what they say, once you go x64, you never go back...
>> >
>> > Has anyone else run into this?

Charlie Russel - MVP

Your Business Edition DVD is the same as an Ultimate Edition DVD.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Sarahzsmyl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for replying. I'm still a little confused.
>
> I know I can upgrade 64 to 64, but my concern is that there's no longer a
> direct download. If it were, it wouldn't be an issue, it would download
> the
> 64-bit version as that's all that's compatible with my OS. I have to
> purchase
> the discs. No where in the upgrade does it say whether or not it's 64 vs
> 32.
>
> It also says to use the upgrade advisor...that's NOT compatible 64-bit
> versions of windows. I don't want to buy the Business to Ultimate upgrade,
> receive it and not be able to install. Does that make better sense?
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> You should be able to do a direct Anytime Upgrade to Vista Ultimate
>> 64-bit
>> from your existing Business 64bit without having to re-install.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> "Sarahzsmyl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I have Business x64. I'm seriously thinking about upgrading to Ultimate,
>> >but
>> > I don't want to lose my x64 OS. I can't find anything on the site
>> > about
>> > whether or not I can upgrade to a 64-bit version of Ultimate with the
>> > Anytime
>> > Upgrade. You know what they say, once you go x64, you never go back...
>> >
>> > Has anyone else run into this?

Mark

The license file can be downloaded again from your digital locker. Just go
to Control Panel and enter Digital Locker in the Search box.

There is not a Vista x64 downloadable OS. You have to have a disk marked
both x64 (or 64-bit) version and Windows Anytime Upgrade. To get to x64
Ultimate, you insert the DVD (the same disk that you used for x64 Business)
and then double-click the downloaded license file . The license key will
simply load more files when you go through the install process.

If you don't have an appropriate disk, one can be ordered from MS for $7 to
$10.