Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Cleaning up restore points not working in Vista 64?

Cleaning up restore points not working in Vista 64?

Don

Hey gang,

I posted the below couple days ago in Vista general, did not have any luck
there perhaps due to the high noise to signal ratio, so thought I would try
here.

Any feedback would certainly be appreciated. Note - I have not yet
installed SP1.

Hey gang,

I am running Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

When I go to disk cleanup, and choose to cleanup files for " all users", I
get the more options tab, with the choice to let me choose to delete all but
the last restore point.

However, when I do this, it does not appear to delete any of the older
restore points? Is this a known issue perhaps, or am I missing something?

Thanks for any tips here,

--
Don

Mark

MS:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...139d91033.mspx

A better method may be to decrease the size of Restore Point space allowed
to keep it within the bounds you desire. Or, momentarily turn System Restore
off, then turn it back on and manually create a new resotre point.

Obviously, any of these should be considered carefully prior to execution
since it removes one method of recovery to a drastic mistake. But, having
made the decision to use Disk Cleanup implies you've already made that
consideration.

"Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey gang,
>
> I posted the below couple days ago in Vista general, did not have any luck
> there perhaps due to the high noise to signal ratio, so thought I would

try
> here.
>
> Any feedback would certainly be appreciated. Note - I have not yet
> installed SP1.
>

> Hey gang,
>
> I am running Vista Ultimate 64 bit.
>
> When I go to disk cleanup, and choose to cleanup files for " all users",

> get the more options tab, with the choice to let me choose to delete all

but
> the last restore point.
>
> However, when I do this, it does not appear to delete any of the older
> restore points? Is this a known issue perhaps, or am I missing something?
>

> Thanks for any tips here,
>

> --
> Don

Don

Thanks for the link Mark, I have bookmarked for future reference.

Had a little time this morning, so I went ahead and installed SP1. I just
checked and it deleted my older restore points, leaving only the restore it
created prior to installing SP1.

I will try again as more restore points are created and see what happens.

Thanks,

--
Don

news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> MS:
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...139d91033.mspx
>
> A better method may be to decrease the size of Restore Point space allowed
> to keep it within the bounds you desire. Or, momentarily turn System
> Restore
> off, then turn it back on and manually create a new resotre point.
>
> Obviously, any of these should be considered carefully prior to execution
> since it removes one method of recovery to a drastic mistake. But, having
> made the decision to use Disk Cleanup implies you've already made that
> consideration.
>

> "Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hey gang,
>>
>> I posted the below couple days ago in Vista general, did not have any
>> luck
>> there perhaps due to the high noise to signal ratio, so thought I would

> try
>> here.
>>
>> Any feedback would certainly be appreciated. Note - I have not yet
>> installed SP1.
>>

>> Hey gang,
>>
>> I am running Vista Ultimate 64 bit.
>>
>> When I go to disk cleanup, and choose to cleanup files for " all users",

>> get the more options tab, with the choice to let me choose to delete all

> but
>> the last restore point.
>>
>> However, when I do this, it does not appear to delete any of the older
>> restore points? Is this a known issue perhaps, or am I missing something?
>>

>> Thanks for any tips here,
>>

>> --
>> Don

Don

Ok gang, I just tried it again, since I have SP1 and system is running well.

I ran disk cleanup, choosing for " all users". I then selected, more
options, and to delete all but the most recent restore point.

It did not delete any of the restore points, I am still showing all restore
points since installing SP1.

Anyone else ever run across this? I don't think, it is something I am doing
wrong...

--
Don

"Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the link Mark, I have bookmarked for future reference.
>
> Had a little time this morning, so I went ahead and installed SP1. I just
> checked and it deleted my older restore points, leaving only the restore
> it created prior to installing SP1.
>
> I will try again as more restore points are created and see what happens.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Don
>

> "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
>> MS:
>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...139d91033.mspx
>>
>> A better method may be to decrease the size of Restore Point space
>> allowed
>> to keep it within the bounds you desire. Or, momentarily turn System
>> Restore
>> off, then turn it back on and manually create a new resotre point.
>>
>> Obviously, any of these should be considered carefully prior to execution
>> since it removes one method of recovery to a drastic mistake. But, having
>> made the decision to use Disk Cleanup implies you've already made that
>> consideration.
>>

>> "Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hey gang,
>>>
>>> I posted the below couple days ago in Vista general, did not have any
>>> luck
>>> there perhaps due to the high noise to signal ratio, so thought I would

>> try
>>> here.
>>>
>>> Any feedback would certainly be appreciated. Note - I have not yet
>>> installed SP1.
>>>

>>> Hey gang,
>>>
>>> I am running Vista Ultimate 64 bit.
>>>
>>> When I go to disk cleanup, and choose to cleanup files for " all
>>> users",

>>> get the more options tab, with the choice to let me choose to delete all

>> but
>>> the last restore point.
>>>
>>> However, when I do this, it does not appear to delete any of the older
>>> restore points? Is this a known issue perhaps, or am I missing
>>> something?
>>>

>>> Thanks for any tips here,
>>>

>>> --
>>> Don

John Barnes

Just a suggestion, but since this is a small group and yours is a general
question, maybe you would get more response in the Vista newsgroup. I know
I, for one, want more than just the last restore point, so I can't be of
help.

"Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok gang, I just tried it again, since I have SP1 and system is running
> well.
>
> I ran disk cleanup, choosing for " all users". I then selected, more
> options, and to delete all but the most recent restore point.
>
> It did not delete any of the restore points, I am still showing all
> restore points since installing SP1.
>
> Anyone else ever run across this? I don't think, it is something I am
> doing wrong...
>

> --
> Don
>

> "Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks for the link Mark, I have bookmarked for future reference.
>>
>> Had a little time this morning, so I went ahead and installed SP1. I just
>> checked and it deleted my older restore points, leaving only the restore
>> it created prior to installing SP1.
>>
>> I will try again as more restore points are created and see what happens.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>> Don
>>

>> "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> MS:
>>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...139d91033.mspx
>>>
>>> A better method may be to decrease the size of Restore Point space
>>> allowed
>>> to keep it within the bounds you desire. Or, momentarily turn System
>>> Restore
>>> off, then turn it back on and manually create a new resotre point.
>>>
>>> Obviously, any of these should be considered carefully prior to
>>> execution
>>> since it removes one method of recovery to a drastic mistake. But,
>>> having
>>> made the decision to use Disk Cleanup implies you've already made that
>>> consideration.
>>>

>>> "Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> try

>>> but

Don

I will try again, thanks John.
I had tried there before, unfortunately I think my post got lost amongst all
the noise to signal ratio there, I will post again and see if get any
response this time.

--
Don

news:#bvfo#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just a suggestion, but since this is a small group and yours is a general
> question, maybe you would get more response in the Vista newsgroup. I
> know I, for one, want more than just the last restore point, so I can't be
> of help.
>
> "Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ok gang, I just tried it again, since I have SP1 and system is running
>> well.
>>
>> I ran disk cleanup, choosing for " all users". I then selected, more
>> options, and to delete all but the most recent restore point.
>>
>> It did not delete any of the restore points, I am still showing all
>> restore points since installing SP1.
>>
>> Anyone else ever run across this? I don't think, it is something I am
>> doing wrong...
>>

>> --
>> Don
>>

>> "Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Thanks for the link Mark, I have bookmarked for future reference.
>>>
>>> Had a little time this morning, so I went ahead and installed SP1. I
>>> just checked and it deleted my older restore points, leaving only the
>>> restore it created prior to installing SP1.
>>>
>>> I will try again as more restore points are created and see what
>>> happens.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> --
>>> Don
>>>

>>> "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...

John Barnes

Right now with all the problems people are having with SP1, there is a
veritable cacophony of noise. It doesn't take long with thousands of posts
a day to get buried.

"Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I will try again, thanks John.
> I had tried there before, unfortunately I think my post got lost amongst
> all the noise to signal ratio there, I will post again and see if get any
> response this time.
>

> --
> Don

> news:#bvfo#(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Just a suggestion, but since this is a small group and yours is a general
>> question, maybe you would get more response in the Vista newsgroup. I
>> know I, for one, want more than just the last restore point, so I can't
>> be of help.
>>
>> "Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Ok gang, I just tried it again, since I have SP1 and system is running
>>> well.
>>>
>>> I ran disk cleanup, choosing for " all users". I then selected, more
>>> options, and to delete all but the most recent restore point.
>>>
>>> It did not delete any of the restore points, I am still showing all
>>> restore points since installing SP1.
>>>
>>> Anyone else ever run across this? I don't think, it is something I am
>>> doing wrong...
>>>

>>> --
>>> Don
>>>

>>> "Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Don

Well, it worked that time, I got an answer. Turned out to be a permissions
things, had to run "start cleanmgr", from right clicking a command prompt
and choosing to run as administrator.
It then worked as expected.

Thanks,

--
Don

news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Right now with all the problems people are having with SP1, there is a
> veritable cacophony of noise. It doesn't take long with thousands of
> posts a day to get buried.
>

> "Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I will try again, thanks John.
>> I had tried there before, unfortunately I think my post got lost amongst
>> all the noise to signal ratio there, I will post again and see if get any
>> response this time.
>>

>> --
>> Don
>>

>> "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:#bvfo#(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Just a suggestion, but since this is a small group and yours is a
>>> general question, maybe you would get more response in the Vista
>>> newsgroup. I know I, for one, want more than just the last restore
>>> point, so I can't be of help.
>>>
>>> "Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

John Barnes

Thanks for reporting back. Nice to hear you found a solution. Mark can be
quite helpful.