Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Logon Problem After SP1 Installed

Logon Problem After SP1 Installed

Wylee

I installed SP1 for Vista x64 yesterday and have encountered the following
problem since then:

Computer boots up fine and allows me (or the other user) to logon without
difficulty.
After logon all works as expected.
I will then 'switch user' and my wife will logon
Then we get a problem (same problem presents itself if she logs on first,
then logs off and I log on, or we switch user, basically problem presents
itself when first user 'switch user' or' logs off' and another user logs on,
the problem is with the second user; interestingly, the problem also occurs
if I log on, log off, then log on again! Problem solved after system reset).
The logon begins and the desktop appears.
It seems to me like the desktop will not refresh properly. The gadgets do
not appear; I can no longer single-click a desktop icon (have to
double-click); the taskbar remains in the up position (won't auto-hide) and
when I do launch a program the button does not appear in the taskbar; the
taskbar icons do not appear in the taskbar. All these problems could be
caused by some sort of video card problem, maybe? Anyway, my computer specs
are below.

Windowes Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 (licensed copy)
Intel Core 2 CPU 6600 @ 2.4GHz
4.00GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 7950GT

I have completed some initial research on this problem without success.

Any ideas???

Ervit

I have a similar problem on Home Premium x86 after the SP1 installation. When
switching users, it's as if the desktop can't finish loading. Task manager
shows static information (CPU usage around 80% but doesn't change and
Performance tab no showing CPU load dynamics in the graphs). Firefox and
Thunderbird don't start, but IE does. Switching back to the first user
doesn't exhibit any problems.

Wylee

Very similar ... please let me know if anyone locates a solution ... this is
very annoying!