Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Re: ASP.NET application cannot access network drive

Re: ASP.NET application cannot access network drive

James N

Oh, one more thing to note, and this may probably invalidate my whole
reasoning above. A lot of advices I get from ppl on these forums is to
create a user account on the NAS that matches the user account that the
Windows' aspnet_wp.exe worker process uses. What I did above is the
same thing, just that I didnt not set a password for the account.

So I decided to try setting a same password for the "ASPNET" user both
in Windows ("Admin Tools" -> "Comp Management" -> "Local Users and
Groups" -> "Users") and in NAS. I also modifed the <processModel> tags
in machine.config so that username/password = "ASPNET"/"(password)".
Strangely, this did not work.

Some other people say to let the aspnet_wp.exe process use an existing
Window user's account to run. So in machine.config I set
username/password = "myUsername"/"(myPassword)". I created the same
account on the NAS as well. Again, sadly, this method did not work
either.

But who cares now??!! It working!! LOL

Jeff Trotman

Glad you got it working. Just to clarify what I was saying (although this
does not appear to have
been the problem)

If you have login to your computer as "User1" and map a drive (say N to a
network share called
\\SERVERNAME\SHARENAME and check the box to make the connection persistent
and then
logoff and log back in as User1, N: will still connect to
\\SERVERNAME\SHARENAME. But,
if you logoff and log in as a different user (User2), User2 will not have a
N drive. This has nothing
to do with whether User2 has permissions for \\SERVERNAME\SHARENAME, just
that User2's
profile on this machine hasn't mapped N: to \\SERVERNAME\SHARENAME. He can,
but he hasn't
yet.

Now imagine that your account is User1 and ASPNET is User2. If you use a
mapped drive in your code
(N:\...) as opposed to UNC (\\SERVERNAME\SHARENAME), when it runs as ASPNET
the N drive
isn't available unless you login as ASPNET and map the drive for that
profile.

I don't know if this clarifies or muddies the water, but that's what I
meant. Again, it appears to not
have been your problem.

JT

news:%23yYi9$(E-Mail Removed)...