Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > 5.25 floppy drive problem

5.25 floppy drive problem

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Fred Kasner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This sounds like an archaic problem but here it goes. I ran across some
>old disks (5.25 floppies 1.2 MB) that contain some data and some
>programs that I really would like to save. Thus my problems began. I
>have two old puters in the closet but can't use the 5.25 inch drives to
>read the old disks.

Was playing frisbee golf this weekend, when my opponent says someone
asked him why they called them Floppy drives. A question not heard for
many years.

I mentioned this thread as my "what once was an easy process" has
become one of the larger threads of possibilities.

Me I have everything I need to get a 5.25 drive working (got drive,
cable, board, OS) cmos battery or not.

--

The New 7 Wonders Panoramas
http://www.popgive.com/2008/03/new-7...panoramas.html

ProfGene

Fred Kasner wrote:
> Jordon wrote:
>> Fred Kasner wrote:
>>> This sounds like an archaic problem but here it goes. I ran across
>>> some old disks (5.25 floppies 1.2 MB) that contain some data and some
>>> programs that I really would like to save. Thus my problems began. I
>>> have two old puters in the closet but can't use the 5.25 inch drives
>>> to read the old disks. The old puters both have failed CMOS batteries
>>> (really cells not batteries) so the B: drives can't be enabled. In
>>> both cases the BIOS allows changing the specifics for the B: drives.
>>> But since there is no CMOS power the default kicks in when the BIOS
>>> is closed and boot-up continues. And the default is for no B: drive
>>> whatsoever. I even tried attaching the 5.25 drive to the A: drive
>>> controller. No joy. I suspect that getting a battery for the CMOS for
>>> these old Win 95 machines would be not only difficult but expensive
>>> for only a few dozen disks to copy to CDs or 3.5 floppies. These
>>> Intel boxes don't have any clearly labeled locations for the
>>> batteries in any event. I suspect the batteries are found in a clock
>>> chip but not labeled at all. If I can get the computer to boot up
>>> just once with the B: drive working I can create a Norton Utilities
>>> rescue disk that would solve the problem in the future (it would
>>> allow a boot that enabled the B: drive for future boots.) Hooking
>>> this thing via a network would be an awful solution since Win 95 was
>>> not exactly network friendly at best.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of a solution? Possibly a source for an external
>>> 5.25 floppy drive? A hardware tweak to get the built-in floppy drive
>>> to work?

>> An external USB floppy drive is cheap.
>>
>> --

> It was one of the first ideas I had. I can't find one that is a 5.25
> inch 1.2 MB drive. I've got one 3.5 inch 1.44 MB that is attached to my
> Linux box since the controller for A drive is shot but all other parts
> of the mother board are OK. If you know of a source for such a external
> floppy drive I'd appreciate the info.
> FK

The old computers I had that have such drives had barrel shaped
batteries that soldered directly onto the motherboard and they were
pretty expensive as well as a hassle to deal with. But I remember I was
able to put these old floppies in MMX computers and AMD K2 6 500 MHZ
computers and these worked with the newer type batteries. There was also
something in the bios where you could do a floppy drive switch that is
switch the A and B drives. Maybe if you had that in your bios you could
view the drive. I think I still have working computers with motherboards
that can handle these drives but I replaced them with CD-Rom drives. It
seems that the connection on the motherboards look the same and that
only on the end that hooks into the drive is there a difference between
the 3 1/4 or 5 1/2 floppies.