Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Whick kit to use ?

Whick kit to use ?

=?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2xlIFVL?=

HI,

I'm buying a new laptop and I want to set up a wireless network between the
laptop and my old desktop (just these two machines) for sharing broadband,
files etc. The laptop comes with a WiFi 802.11 a/b/g. What do I need for my
desktop ? I've seen wireless cards that go in a slot in the tower, and also
very simple (and much cheaper) USB 'plugs'. Which do I need ? Do I also
need a router ? Finally, does my desktop also need an NIC ?
Thanks for your help.

DJ Borell

"Carole UK" <Carole http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> HI,
>
> I'm buying a new laptop and I want to set up a wireless network between
> the
> laptop and my old desktop (just these two machines) for sharing broadband,
> files etc. The laptop comes with a WiFi 802.11 a/b/g. What do I need for
> my
> desktop ? I've seen wireless cards that go in a slot in the tower, and
> also
> very simple (and much cheaper) USB 'plugs'. Which do I need ? Do I also
> need a router ? Finally, does my desktop also need an NIC ?
> Thanks for your help.

The easiest way to network your systems would be to usea wireless router,
but that isn't required. Alternatively, you could put a wireless NIC in
your destop (along with the standard NIC) and connect the laptop that way.
Go here for more information:

www.ezlan.net

=?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2xlIFVL?=

OK thanks...I've lalready looked at the ezlan stuff (which is typically
quoted on this newsgroup). Problem is that the site is full of loads of
'verbal' and 'hype' but doesn't actually answer the question.
So...do I ned a USB key or a card (in a slot) for the tower ? and do I need
an NIC in the desktop....yes or no would be good rather than a re-direct to a
(not very well designed) website.
Sorry if this appears negative..it's not meant to be...just want a simple
answer.

"DJ Borell" wrote:

> "Carole UK" <Carole (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > HI,
> >
> > I'm buying a new laptop and I want to set up a wireless network between
> > the
> > laptop and my old desktop (just these two machines) for sharing broadband,
> > files etc. The laptop comes with a WiFi 802.11 a/b/g. What do I need for
> > my
> > desktop ? I've seen wireless cards that go in a slot in the tower, and
> > also
> > very simple (and much cheaper) USB 'plugs'. Which do I need ? Do I also
> > need a router ? Finally, does my desktop also need an NIC ?
> > Thanks for your help.

> The easiest way to network your systems would be to usea wireless router,
> but that isn't required. Alternatively, you could put a wireless NIC in
> your destop (along with the standard NIC) and connect the laptop that way.
> Go here for more information:
>
> www.ezlan.net

Jack \(MVP\)

Hi
Yeah EZLAN is Bad, because it is trying to paint a picture of the issues in
question rather than to use short FAQ (I view Short FAQ as a very good
medium to provide solution for knowledgeable users, otherwise, I view it as
a Trick to maintain the ignorant in is ignorance).
In any case.
A decision on this matter might involve one Internet connection as well.
Since you did not indicate any thing about your Internet connection (Hey No
Body is Perfect) ) the following answers might be lacking.
Option 1. Wireless Network can be created between two computers connected in
what is called AD-Hoc Wireless connection. All you need is one Wireless
Client Card one in each computer.
Short comes: Good only for two computers. Internet Sharing need to be done
by Software NAT. This type of connection results in some what less efficient
and less Stable Wireless Network, and limited security options.
Ad-Hoc use to be popular in the past when two Wireless cards were much
cheaper than a Wireless cable/DSL Router + one client card. However in the
USA, current Wireless Client Card cost the same as a Wireless Router, so
there is No point in using such a connection (unless some one has an
Internal DialUp Modem).
Option 2. Wireless Network that relies on a Wireless Cable/DSL Router (or a
stand alone Access Point), aka Infrastructure Wireless Network. Such a
setting provides the potential for many Wired and Wireless Clients, with all
the additional Perks that come with a Cable/DSL Router (Hardware NAT,
Firewall. DHCP, and more).
Infrastructure Wireless Network is much better by any technological sense
than Ad-Hoc connection.
Ad-Hoc Connection:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...wman_02april08.
mspx?pf=trueHi
Infrastructure configuration:
Wireless, Basic Configuration: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
Wireless, Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

What type of Client card to buy is a separate issue and would apply to
either options.
Wireless is depending on signal propagation.
PCMCIA (Cardbus) is the preferred solution for a Laptop.
For a Desktop.
PCI Wireless Client Card ends up been stuck behind the computer's case,
resultant in obstructed transmission and poor performance. USB is connected
to the Port with 2-3' cable allowing the Antenna to be placed above the
System for better Transmission.
However a PCI card is a good choice when a powerful external Antenna is
needed for long distance. Many Wireless PCI cards come with a removable
Antenna.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Carole UK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK thanks...I've lalready looked at the ezlan stuff (which is typically
> quoted on this newsgroup). Problem is that the site is full of loads of
> 'verbal' and 'hype' but doesn't actually answer the question.
> So...do I ned a USB key or a card (in a slot) for the tower ? and do I

need
> an NIC in the desktop....yes or no would be good rather than a re-direct

to a
> (not very well designed) website.
> Sorry if this appears negative..it's not meant to be...just want a simple
> answer.
>
> "DJ Borell" wrote:
>
> > "Carole UK" <Carole (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > HI,
> > >
> > > I'm buying a new laptop and I want to set up a wireless network

between
> > > the
> > > laptop and my old desktop (just these two machines) for sharing

broadband,
> > > files etc. The laptop comes with a WiFi 802.11 a/b/g. What do I need

for
> > > my
> > > desktop ? I've seen wireless cards that go in a slot in the tower,

and
> > > also
> > > very simple (and much cheaper) USB 'plugs'. Which do I need ? Do I

also
> > > need a router ? Finally, does my desktop also need an NIC ?
> > > Thanks for your help.

> > The easiest way to network your systems would be to usea wireless

router,
> > but that isn't required. Alternatively, you could put a wireless NIC in
> > your destop (along with the standard NIC) and connect the laptop that

way.
> > Go here for more information:
> >
> > www.ezlan.net

=?Utf-8?B?Q2Fyb2xlIFVL?=

Thanks Jack for taking the time to answer so fully !!