Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Thunderbird from Outlook

Thunderbird from Outlook

Nate Rosenthal

Lately, I have been having some issues with outlook, where I can't send
emails. They sit in the outbox. I was having this same problem with
Outlook Express and Thunderbird, but by changing the port for the outgoing
server, I seemed to have resolved that problem in OE and TB. Not so on
Outlook. I know I am not alone in this. BTW my ISP is Comcast.

I am a headhunter and use Outlook for my business. Some of the features
make it quite useful as a database. For example, I can edit and annotate
cover letters with notes. There are multiple stationeries that I can choose
from for sending standardized emails. There is also a resend function in
Outlook that is quite coinvenient. Most important is that there is a backup
add-on. I have thousands of resumes and need to back them up a lot.

I am guessing that others have made the switch from outlook to TB and before
I make a massive switch I want to know if these features are available with
Thunderbird. I also want to know how difficult the import process would be,
as I have an extensive folder system already set up in outlook and want to
bring it over. How does the stationery work in TB.

I'd appreciate any advice as to options. I need to do something and calling
comcast is not getting me anywhere. Using both outlook and TB at the same
time is not very efficient.

Burkhard Müller

*Nate Rosenthal* wrote:
> Lately, I have been having some issues with outlook, where I can't send
> emails. They sit in the outbox. I was having this same problem with
> Outlook Express and Thunderbird, but by changing the port for the outgoing
> server, I seemed to have resolved that problem in OE and TB. Not so on
> Outlook. I know I am not alone in this. BTW my ISP is Comcast.
>
> I am a headhunter and use Outlook for my business. Some of the features
> make it quite useful as a database. For example, I can edit and annotate
> cover letters with notes. There are multiple stationeries that I can choose
> from for sending standardized emails. There is also a resend function in
> Outlook that is quite coinvenient. Most important is that there is a backup
> add-on. I have thousands of resumes and need to back them up a lot.
>
> I am guessing that others have made the switch from outlook to TB and before
> I make a massive switch I want to know if these features are available with
> Thunderbird. I also want to know how difficult the import process would be,
> as I have an extensive folder system already set up in outlook and want to
> bring it over. How does the stationery work in TB.
>
> I'd appreciate any advice as to options. I need to do something and calling
> comcast is not getting me anywhere. Using both outlook and TB at the same
> time is not very efficient.

Having read all this and thinking about it (as a non-native english speaking)
i would suggest to you to stay with outlook an solve your problem with the
SMTP.
You can compare TB with OExpress, but not with Outlook. Although there
are thousands of AddOns for TB to extend its functions, it will never(?)
have the "integrity" and functions of outlook; esp. working with exchange-servers
and unified messaging. [correct me if i'm wrong!]
TB is a *very* good Freeware-Mail&News-Client (IMO way better than OE)
but *not* a PIM like Outlook. [not *yet* ! ]

HTH, M.

--
http://www.eXtraPunk.de
http://www.dWb-Clan.tk

Nate Rosenthal

I appreciate that, which is precisely why I don't want to move away from
outlook. Tht said, my ISP is not being very helpful.

"Burkhard Müller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:47e1c190$0$23703$(E-Mail Removed)-online.net...
> *Nate Rosenthal* wrote:
>> Lately, I have been having some issues with outlook, where I can't send
>> emails. They sit in the outbox. I was having this same problem with
>> Outlook Express and Thunderbird, but by changing the port for the
>> outgoing
>> server, I seemed to have resolved that problem in OE and TB. Not so on
>> Outlook. I know I am not alone in this. BTW my ISP is Comcast.
>>
>> I am a headhunter and use Outlook for my business. Some of the features
>> make it quite useful as a database. For example, I can edit and
>> annotate
>> cover letters with notes. There are multiple stationeries that I can
>> choose
>> from for sending standardized emails. There is also a resend function in
>> Outlook that is quite coinvenient. Most important is that there is a
>> backup
>> add-on. I have thousands of resumes and need to back them up a lot.
>>
>> I am guessing that others have made the switch from outlook to TB and
>> before
>> I make a massive switch I want to know if these features are available
>> with
>> Thunderbird. I also want to know how difficult the import process would
>> be,
>> as I have an extensive folder system already set up in outlook and want
>> bring it over. How does the stationery work in TB.
>>
>> I'd appreciate any advice as to options. I need to do something and
>> calling
>> comcast is not getting me anywhere. Using both outlook and TB at the
>> same
>> time is not very efficient.

> Having read all this and thinking about it (as a non-native english
> speaking)
> i would suggest to you to stay with outlook an solve your problem with the
> SMTP.
> You can compare TB with OExpress, but not with Outlook. Although there
> are thousands of AddOns for TB to extend its functions, it will never(?)
> have the "integrity" and functions of outlook; esp. working with
> exchange-servers
> and unified messaging. [correct me if i'm wrong!]
> TB is a *very* good Freeware-Mail&News-Client (IMO way better than OE)
> but *not* a PIM like Outlook. [not *yet* ! ]
>
> HTH, M.
>

> --
> http://www.eXtraPunk.de
> http://www.dWb-Clan.tk

Outlook, outlook express or thunderbird? Fred Computer Support 20 09-17-2006 09:07 AM
Outlook to Thunderbird Himm Firefox 3 12-24-2004 05:23 AM
Can Outlook 2000's address book be imported into Thunderbird? Galaxy Firefox 8 07-21-2004 01:38 AM

Advertisments