Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > CSS: a simple layout won't work in CSS

CSS: a simple layout won't work in CSS

liketofindoutwhy@gmail.com

On Mar 19, 8:18 pm, Gus Richter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > the real thing is... i want to find out how to vertically center that
> > text on the right without using table but just using div and span.
> > turns out it is rather difficult... and maybe i can do it after
> > reading the whole chapters of CSS Definitive Guide for Inline elements
> > and Positioning. I already read the whole chapter for Block elements.

> What do you find difficult or perhaps wrong with my suggestion?

Right, Hi Gus... the previous post you put there is the only post i
see in this thread...

Gus Richter

> On Mar 19, 8:18 pm, Gus Richter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> the real thing is... i want to find out how to vertically center that
>>> text on the right without using table but just using div and span.
>>> turns out it is rather difficult... and maybe i can do it after
>>> reading the whole chapters of CSS Definitive Guide for Inline elements
>>> and Positioning. I already read the whole chapter for Block elements.

>> What do you find difficult or perhaps wrong with my suggestion?

> Right, Hi Gus... the previous post you put there is the only post i
> see in this thread...

Don't know why since I see it, LOL. Here it is again:

Give the div position:relative;
Give the span position:absolute;top:45%;

--
Gus

Gus Richter

Gus Richter wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> What do you find difficult or perhaps wrong with my suggestion?

>> Right, Hi Gus... the previous post you put there is the only post i
>> see in this thread...

> Don't know why since I see it, LOL. Here it is again:
>
> Give the div position:relative;
> Give the span position:absolute;top:45%;

This wa in reply to the OP.

--
Gus

Gus Richter

Gus Richter wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> What do you find difficult or perhaps wrong with my suggestion?

>> Right, Hi Gus... the previous post you put there is the only post i
>> see in this thread...

> Don't know why since I see it, LOL. Here it is again:

I took out ALT.HTML and left only CIWAS so you guys looking at
ALT.HTML don't see it. Did so since it's a pure CSS problem.

--
Gus

rf

"Gus Richter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Gus Richter wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> Right, Hi Gus... the previous post you put there is the only post i
>>> see in this thread...

>> Don't know why since I see it, LOL. Here it is again:

> I took out ALT.HTML and left only CIWAS so you guys looking at
> ALT.HTML don't see it.

So you intentionally confused us? Dipstick!

If you took out alt.html in your first post why did you not take alt.html
out of your second post? Perhaps the OP was only looking at alt.html,
knowing, or at least hoping, that messages would be crossposted to both
groups. Maybe the OP was like me, in a hurry, and only checked alt.html,
leaving CWIAS for later in the day.

And what is wrong with CSS problems in alt.html anyway, which covers just
about everything?

--
Richard.

Gus Richter

rf wrote:

> So you intentionally confused us? Dipstick!
>
> If you took out alt.html in your first post why did you not take alt.html
> out of your second post? Perhaps the OP was only looking at alt.html,
> knowing, or at least hoping, that messages would be crossposted to both
> groups. Maybe the OP was like me, in a hurry, and only checked alt.html,
> leaving CWIAS for later in the day.
>
> And what is wrong with CSS problems in alt.html anyway, which covers just
> about everything?

If he's going to post to both, then he should check both.
I don't like posting to where I don't subscribe, because I might not see

One good thing is that next time you won't be so easily confused.

--
Gus

Summercool

On Mar 19, 11:51 pm, Gus Richter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Gus Richter wrote:
> > (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> >> Right, Hi Gus... the previous post you put there is the only post i
> >> see in this thread...

> > Don't know why since I see it, LOL. Here it is again:

> > Give the div position:relative;
> > Give the span position:absolute;top:45%;

so this is absolute within a relative positioned div... i think it
will work almost... because the top: 45% is more like 50% - 1em
(50% minus 1em). Another person in sitepoint or digitalpoint
suggested using relative div outside and absolute div inside with
bottom and right being 0, and height: 60%... so it is more like 50% +
1em... and if using table, the text can be 1 line or 2 lines or 3
lines... it is still centered. if done using this method, it is "sort
of" centered...

liketofindoutwhy@gmail.com

so eric.j had a nice solution on

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...81#post3761981

it is simplest... and probably can lead to more understanding of the
inline elements (probably need to read some reference like the CSS
Definitive guide by Eric Meyer)

Neredbojias

On 19 Mar 2008, wrote:

> A simple layout is attempted in CSS but can't be made into practice...
>

> The result desired is displayed on:
> http://www.0011.com/layout/want_to.html
>
> (it is validated as HTML 4.01 Strict)
>
> but that is done using a table. I don't want to use a table because i
> think for some browsers, if there are 100 rows... then the table won't
> be rendered until all 100 rows of images have been detected for the
> width and height... the page may be empty until all 100 images are
> loaded. (that might be for some older browsers). Nevertheless, I want
> to try using span or div to do it.
>

> A big issue is that I don't know the size of the image in advance (it
> can be any image in the database).

Uh, text can be vertically-aligned to an image as in the following example.
Dunno what else you mean.

http://www.neredbojias.com/tsttst/vctst.html

Sorry if this was covered in the thread, but I didn't grok it.

--
Neredbojias
http://www.neredbojias.com/

Gus Richter

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> so eric.j had a nice solution on
>
> http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...81#post3761981
>
> it is simplest... and probably can lead to more understanding of the
> inline elements (probably need to read some reference like the CSS
> Definitive guide by Eric Meyer)

Does not work right for me. Had to use 11% for 300x300 img.
Try using different size images.

--
Gus

Css-Layout vs Table-Layout Habib HTML 15 06-20-2006 05:11 AM
Table-based layout to CSS layout Guybrush Threepwood HTML 20 06-11-2006 11:12 AM
most simple 3 column CSS layout chlori HTML 11 02-11-2005 08:25 PM