Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Computer too slow for my liking.

Computer too slow for my liking.

Sal_55

I have a Dell computer with about 20 GB hard drive and 128 RAM. Also
it has a 1.5 GHZ processor. The problem is the computer takes too long
to perform functions, especially when I run a lot of programs at the
same time. I know some of you will say that in order to run many
programs at the same time I need to upgrade to a better machine, but
currently due to disablity this is the only computer I can afford.
I have run virus checks and run Adaware and Spybot. Also I have turned
the system restore percentage from 12% to about 8%. Doing all this I
have noticed some improvement. But the computer still lags when I run
about 3 processes at the same time.
Anyone know if I can somehow increase the size of the virtual memory?
Or any good progams which can speed up my computer?
Thanks and bye friends.

Brian Arthur Robertson

Sal_55 wrote:
> I have a Dell computer with about 20 GB hard drive and 128 RAM. Also
> it has a 1.5 GHZ processor. The problem is the computer takes too long
> to perform functions, especially when I run a lot of programs at the
> same time. I know some of you will say that in order to run many
> programs at the same time I need to upgrade to a better machine, but
> currently due to disablity this is the only computer I can afford.
> I have run virus checks and run Adaware and Spybot. Also I have turned
> the system restore percentage from 12% to about 8%. Doing all this I
> have noticed some improvement. But the computer still lags when I run
> about 3 processes at the same time.
> Anyone know if I can somehow increase the size of the virtual memory?
> Or any good progams which can speed up my computer?
> Thanks and bye friends.

I would recommend that you increase the amount of RAM to at least 1GB,
if you can afford it. This should make a very noticeable difference in
performance. Ask the retailer/person that you bought the computer from
to help you get the proper type of memory. The good news is that RAM has
become inexpensive and is easy to install.

--
Brian Arthur Robertson

http://brian.arthur.robertson.google...m/freesoftware

http://brian.arthur.robertson.googlepages.com/rare-ware

baynole2@yahoo.com

On Mar 19, 7:17 am, Sal_55 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

What OS are you using?

Onsokumaru

"Sal_55" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Dell computer with about 20 GB hard drive and 128 RAM. Also
> it has a 1.5 GHZ processor. The problem is the computer takes too long
> to perform functions, especially when I run a lot of programs at the
> same time. I know some of you will say that in order to run many
> programs at the same time I need to upgrade to a better machine, but
> currently due to disablity this is the only computer I can afford.
> I have run virus checks and run Adaware and Spybot. Also I have turned
> the system restore percentage from 12% to about 8%. Doing all this I
> have noticed some improvement. But the computer still lags when I run
> about 3 processes at the same time.
> Anyone know if I can somehow increase the size of the virtual memory?
> Or any good progams which can speed up my computer?

hmmm, running one more program to increase performance...

As others have said, up the RAM to 1 GB.

How much disk space do you have, and how fragmented is the HDD.

You could try reducing the size of the recycle bin also, but this is just
adjusting the wing mirrors, it won't make a huge difference.

What other programs load at startup? You might try disabling teatimer, as it
uses a fair chunk of memory.

tony sayer

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bob Adkins
<(E-Mail Removed)> scribeth thus
>On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 04:17:56 -0700 (PDT), Sal_55
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I have a Dell computer with about 20 GB hard drive and 128 RAM. Also
>>it has a 1.5 GHZ processor. The problem is the computer takes too long
>>to perform functions, especially when I run a lot of programs at the
>>same time. I know some of you will say that in order to run many
>>programs at the same time I need to upgrade to a better machine, but
>>currently due to disablity this is the only computer I can afford.
>>I have run virus checks and run Adaware and Spybot. Also I have turned
>>the system restore percentage from 12% to about 8%. Doing all this I
>>have noticed some improvement. But the computer still lags when I run
>>about 3 processes at the same time.
>>Anyone know if I can somehow increase the size of the virtual memory?
>>Or any good progams which can speed up my computer?
>>Thanks and bye friends.

>128mb of RAM is most likely the problem. Win98 and Millennium do well
>on 256mb or more, and XP on 512mb or better. No amount of RAM will
>make Vista run fast. Yes, I have seen Dell computers sold with 128mb
>RAM and Win XP. To run Spybot tolerably fast, you need a 7200 RPM HDD,
>512mb of RAM, and a 2ghz CPU. Otherwise, schedule it when you are
>away.
> -
>
>Bob

Up the RAM ... best mod you can do to almost any computer except those
infected with Vister;(...
--
Tony Sayer

Bob Adkins

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a Dell computer with about 20 GB hard drive and 128 RAM. Also
>it has a 1.5 GHZ processor. The problem is the computer takes too long
>to perform functions, especially when I run a lot of programs at the
>same time. I know some of you will say that in order to run many
>programs at the same time I need to upgrade to a better machine, but
>currently due to disablity this is the only computer I can afford.
>I have run virus checks and run Adaware and Spybot. Also I have turned
>the system restore percentage from 12% to about 8%. Doing all this I
>have noticed some improvement. But the computer still lags when I run
>about 3 processes at the same time.
>Anyone know if I can somehow increase the size of the virtual memory?
>Or any good progams which can speed up my computer?
>Thanks and bye friends.

128mb of RAM is most likely the problem. Win98 and Millennium do well
on 256mb or more, and XP on 512mb or better. No amount of RAM will
make Vista run fast. Yes, I have seen Dell computers sold with 128mb
RAM and Win XP. To run Spybot tolerably fast, you need a 7200 RPM HDD,
512mb of RAM, and a 2ghz CPU. Otherwise, schedule it when you are
away.
-

Bob

E. Barry Bruyea

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a Dell computer with about 20 GB hard drive and 128 RAM. Also
>it has a 1.5 GHZ processor. The problem is the computer takes too long
>to perform functions, especially when I run a lot of programs at the
>same time. I know some of you will say that in order to run many
>programs at the same time I need to upgrade to a better machine, but
>currently due to disablity this is the only computer I can afford.
>I have run virus checks and run Adaware and Spybot. Also I have turned
>the system restore percentage from 12% to about 8%. Doing all this I
>have noticed some improvement. But the computer still lags when I run
>about 3 processes at the same time.
>Anyone know if I can somehow increase the size of the virtual memory?
>Or any good progams which can speed up my computer?
>Thanks and bye friends.

Regardless of what you do, nothing is going to speed up your computer
with only 128 RAM; the processor is probably fast enough, as long as
you don't expect too much. RAM is pretty cheap these days.

Jim

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a Dell computer with about 20 GB hard drive and 128 RAM. Also
>it has a 1.5 GHZ processor. The problem is the computer takes too long
>to perform functions, especially when I run a lot of programs at the
>same time. I know some of you will say that in order to run many
>programs at the same time I need to upgrade to a better machine, but
>currently due to disablity this is the only computer I can afford.
>I have run virus checks and run Adaware and Spybot. Also I have turned
>the system restore percentage from 12% to about 8%. Doing all this I
>have noticed some improvement. But the computer still lags when I run
>about 3 processes at the same time.
>Anyone know if I can somehow increase the size of the virtual memory?
>Or any good progams which can speed up my computer?

You don't say what operating system you are using. If it's XP
or Vista, then I'm afraid your computer will run slow as it
really hasn't enough hard disc space and nearly enough RAM for
the task.

--

Jim,
English Region,

Sal_55

On 19 Mar, 11:58, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mar 19, 7:17 am, Sal_55 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> What OS are you using?

Windows XP. In my old computer I had Windows Me. And I can't believe
it, but XP has fewer crashes and runs generally better than ME.

Sal_55

On 19 Mar, 13:37, Jim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 04:17:56 -0700 (PDT), Sal_55
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >I have a Dell computer with about 20 GB hard drive and 128 RAM. Also
> >it has a 1.5 GHZ processor. The problem is the computer takes too long
> >to perform functions, especially when I run a lot of programs at the
> >same time. I know some of you will say that in order to run many
> >programs at the same time I need to upgrade to a better machine, but
> >currently due to disablity this is the only computer I can afford.
> >I have run virus checks and run Adaware and Spybot. Also I have turned
> >the system restore percentage from 12% to about 8%. Doing all this I
> >have noticed some improvement. But the computer still lags when I run
> >about 3 processes at the same time.
> >Anyone know if I can somehow increase the size of the virtual memory?
> >Or any good progams which can speed up my computer?

> * You don't say what operating system you are using. If it's XP
> or Vista, then I'm afraid your computer will run slow as it
> really hasn't enough hard disc space and nearly enough RAM for
> the task.
>
> --
>
> Jim,
> English Region,
> E.U.

Thanks so much for all the advice given to me so far.
I have just broken my left foot and don't think now is the best time
to be fiddling around with my screwdriver in order to add more RAM. Is
there no way I can increase the RAM some other way? I don't really
know what I'm speaking about, but can't you increase the 'virtual
memory' of the computer to increase the RAM?
If I decide it's too much hassle to increase the RAM on my current
machine and I buy a new computer, then is there anyway of transferring
all my files to my new computer? I remember in the old days there was
some kind of parallel cable you could attach betwen computers to
transfer all the files.
Thanks again and bye friends.