Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Re: ASP.Net, IE 5 & 5.01, Caching Problem

Re: ASP.Net, IE 5 & 5.01, Caching Problem

Joe Reazor

Thanks Mark, I think that will solve my problem. A related question then
would be, how can I write out these meta tags in code. All of my pages in
my web app inherit from a custom class I wrote that inherits from Page, so I
would like to add these meta tags in my custom class in code, so that I
don't have to set them up in the html of all of my dozens of children
classes.

TIA.

-
==============
Joe Reazor
Gorbel Inc.
email: joereaATgorbelDOTcom
"Mark MacRae" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:up6hv#(E-Mail Removed)...
> As a rule, I always put the following at the top of my ASPX pages (in the
> <head></head> secion of course)

CONTENT="no-cache">

> HTH,
> mark
>

> "Joe Reazor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > We've deployed a brand new web app built with ASP.Net and are

experiencing
> > strange case with our users accessing it using IE 5.0 or IE5.01. If the

> go
> > to Tools - Internet Options - Settings and have their "Check for newer
> > versions of stored pages" setting set to "Automatically", then the first
> > time they go to a page it looks right, but the next time they go to the
> > page, if the page should be different because its dynamic, they don't

get
> > the new page, they get the same one they saw before. The page should be
> > different even though the entire url is the same. This does not happen

at
> > all in IE 6 or even IE 5.5. I'm guessing its an issue with these old
> > versions of IE, but thought maybe .Net has something to do with it if it

> is
> > detected the browser's capabilities. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas,
> > short of having the users upgrade their browsers or forcing them to

change
> > the setting to "Every Visist to the Page" which also works fine.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > ==============
> > Joe Reazor
> > Gorbel Inc.
> > email: joereaATgorbelDOTcom

Joe Iano

From a previous post. I haven't tried it, but it might be worth a look:

<HEAD id="myHead" runat="server"></HEAD> suffices.

In your code behind you then declare :

protected System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlContainerControl myHead

And you are free to access myHead properties. You are probably going to be
interested in "InnerHtml" property the most.

"Joe Reazor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Mark, I think that will solve my problem. A related question then
> would be, how can I write out these meta tags in code. All of my pages in
> my web app inherit from a custom class I wrote that inherits from Page, so

> would like to add these meta tags in my custom class in code, so that I
> don't have to set them up in the html of all of my dozens of children
> classes.
>
> TIA.
>
> -
> ==============
> Joe Reazor
> Gorbel Inc.
> email: joereaATgorbelDOTcom
> "Mark MacRae" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:up6hv#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > As a rule, I always put the following at the top of my ASPX pages (in

the
> > <head></head> secion of course)

> CONTENT="no-cache">
> >
> > HTH,
> > mark
> >

> > "Joe Reazor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > We've deployed a brand new web app built with ASP.Net and are

> experiencing
> > > strange case with our users accessing it using IE 5.0 or IE5.01. If

the
> > go
> > > to Tools - Internet Options - Settings and have their "Check for newer
> > > versions of stored pages" setting set to "Automatically", then the

first
> > > time they go to a page it looks right, but the next time they go to

the
> > > page, if the page should be different because its dynamic, they don't

> get
> > > the new page, they get the same one they saw before. The page should

be
> > > different even though the entire url is the same. This does not

happen
> at
> > > all in IE 6 or even IE 5.5. I'm guessing its an issue with these old
> > > versions of IE, but thought maybe .Net has something to do with it if

it
> > is
> > > detected the browser's capabilities. Anyone have any thoughts or

ideas,
> > > short of having the users upgrade their browsers or forcing them to

> change
> > > the setting to "Every Visist to the Page" which also works fine.
> > >
> > > TIA
> > >
> > > ==============
> > > Joe Reazor
> > > Gorbel Inc.
> > > email: joereaATgorbelDOTcom

Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]

Hello Joe,

Please also refer to http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/pa...asp?print=true to see how to add customized
header field from a inherited based page.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,
Yanhong Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
!From: "Joe Reazor" <(E-Mail Removed)>
!Subject: Re: ASP.Net, IE 5 & 5.01, Caching Problem
!Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 15:15:46 -0400
!Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
!
!Actaully, all of my pages inherit from my custom class MyPage instead of
!Page. In my class MyPage, I have all kinds of custom stuff that all of my
!child pages get access to on top of the normal Page stuff. I was hoping
!there would be a way for me to put some code in my OnLoad method of my
!MyPage class that would write out these headers. I was looking at
!Response.AppendHeader, but that didn't seem to do it. At least it didn't
!write out the header in the generated HTML, but I have to imagine there is a
!way to do it.
!
!
!==============
!Joe Reazor
!Gorbel Inc.
!email: joereaATgorbelDOTcom
!
!
!"Mark MacRae" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
!news:(E-Mail Removed)...
!> Joe,
!> Maybe I'm low tech, but all my ASPX pages are basically cloned from a
!> template and that's in my template. You could use a server-side includes,
!or
!> some inline function to put it in at the top of each page, but as far as I
!> can think, you'll have to be editing all your pages no matter which way
!you
!> go.
!>
!> "Joe Reazor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
!> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
!> > Thanks Mark, I think that will solve my problem. A related question
!then
!> > would be, how can I write out these meta tags in code. All of my pages
!in
!> > my web app inherit from a custom class I wrote that inherits from Page,
!so
!> I
!> > would like to add these meta tags in my custom class in code, so that I
!> > don't have to set them up in the html of all of my dozens of children
!> > classes.
!> >
!> > TIA.
!> >
!> > -
!> > ==============
!> > Joe Reazor
!> > Gorbel Inc.
!> > email: joereaATgorbelDOTcom
!> > "Mark MacRae" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
!> > news:up6hv#(E-Mail Removed)...
!> > > As a rule, I always put the following at the top of my ASPX pages (in
!> the
!> > > <head></head> secion of course)
!> > >
!> > > <meta name="prevent_caching1" HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" content="no-cache">
!> > > <meta name="prevent_caching2" HTTP-EQUIV="Cache-Control"
!> > CONTENT="no-cache">
!> > > <meta name="prevent_caching3" HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="0">
!> > >
!> > > HTH,
!> > > mark
!> > >
!> > >
!> > >
!> > > "Joe Reazor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
!> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
!> > > > We've deployed a brand new web app built with ASP.Net and are
!> > experiencing
!> > > a
[...]
!> > > >
!> > > > TIA