Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?

Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?

Mark C

Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?

The DSE site says the stick is USB2.0.
My USB external HDD can read @ ~28Mbyte/s thru the same USB ports.
(Edit: USB HDD was turned off at the time, I was copying from the
internal IDE drive.)

The file copy starts off with a ~4min estimate, and then blows out
to 50min, oscillating about.

Performance monitor showed a steady baseline write speed of
200KBytes/s, peaking to 800KBytes/s sometimes and 6MBytes/s
rarely. A disk test utility showed it can be read from @
12MBytes/s.

Windows 2000 Server SP4, patched.

Oh well...

Mark

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <03217715$0$14503$(E-Mail Removed)>, Mark C did write:

> Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?

Depends on the stick. They aren't all the same, and writing speeds can vary
a lot.

> Windows 2000 Server SP4, patched.

I suppose it's worth trying another system, just for comparison.

Brian Mathews

On 19 Mar 2008 09:26:40 GMT, Mark C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?
>
>The DSE site says the stick is USB2.0.
>My USB external HDD can read @ ~28Mbyte/s thru the same USB ports.
>(Edit: USB HDD was turned off at the time, I was copying from the
>internal IDE drive.)
>
>The file copy starts off with a ~4min estimate, and then blows out
>to 50min, oscillating about.
>
>Performance monitor showed a steady baseline write speed of
>200KBytes/s, peaking to 800KBytes/s sometimes and 6MBytes/s
>rarely. A disk test utility showed it can be read from @
>12MBytes/s.
>
>Windows 2000 Server SP4, patched.
>
>Oh well...
>
>Mark

Do not run speed test tools on Flash drives as you can easly kill them, ie ware them out.

Do you no the Rated speed R/W of the Flash drive, most of these Cheap or no brand ones are very
slow.

Toms Hardware had one that was only 2MBytes write.

thingy

Mark C wrote:
> Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?
>
> The DSE site says the stick is USB2.0.
> My USB external HDD can read @ ~28Mbyte/s thru the same USB ports.
> (Edit: USB HDD was turned off at the time, I was copying from the
> internal IDE drive.)
>
> The file copy starts off with a ~4min estimate, and then blows out
> to 50min, oscillating about.
>
> Performance monitor showed a steady baseline write speed of
> 200KBytes/s, peaking to 800KBytes/s sometimes and 6MBytes/s
> rarely. A disk test utility showed it can be read from @
> 12MBytes/s.
>
> Windows 2000 Server SP4, patched.
>
> Oh well...
>
> Mark

can win2k handle usb2 properly? DSE stuff is some times really
crappy....I have an 8gb a-data ps2, will try and find 1.5gb to
copy....Ive been meaning to try it as I suspect the docking station usb
ports has issues...

regards

Thing

thingy

thingy wrote:
> Mark C wrote:
>> Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?
>>
>> The DSE site says the stick is USB2.0.
>> My USB external HDD can read @ ~28Mbyte/s thru the same USB ports.
>> (Edit: USB HDD was turned off at the time, I was copying from the
>> internal IDE drive.)
>>
>> The file copy starts off with a ~4min estimate, and then blows out
>> to 50min, oscillating about.
>>
>> Performance monitor showed a steady baseline write speed of
>> 200KBytes/s, peaking to 800KBytes/s sometimes and 6MBytes/s
>> rarely. A disk test utility showed it can be read from @
>> 12MBytes/s.
>> Windows 2000 Server SP4, patched.
>>
>> Oh well...
>>
>> Mark
>>

> can win2k handle usb2 properly? DSE stuff is some times really
> crappy....I have an 8gb a-data ps2, will try and find 1.5gb to
> copy....Ive been meaning to try it as I suspect the docking station usb
> ports has issues...
>
> regards
>
> Thing

What is happening on the server? I just moved a 3.6Gb iso image to an
a-data my-flash PD2 8GB drive in 22mins....this is on a laptop so the hd
is'nt the fastest....so it should take about 10mins for 1.5Gb....

What I did notice was if I tried to do anything on my desktop (web
browsing, docs etc) while transferring the time estimate went up
25%...so if your server is busy doing things it may not be the drives fault.

regards

thing

thingy

thingy wrote:
> thingy wrote:
>> Mark C wrote:
>>> Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?
>>>
>>> The DSE site says the stick is USB2.0.
>>> My USB external HDD can read @ ~28Mbyte/s thru the same USB ports.
>>> (Edit: USB HDD was turned off at the time, I was copying from the
>>> internal IDE drive.)
>>>
>>> The file copy starts off with a ~4min estimate, and then blows out
>>> to 50min, oscillating about.
>>>
>>> Performance monitor showed a steady baseline write speed of
>>> 200KBytes/s, peaking to 800KBytes/s sometimes and 6MBytes/s
>>> rarely. A disk test utility showed it can be read from @
>>> 12MBytes/s.
>>> Windows 2000 Server SP4, patched.
>>>
>>> Oh well...
>>>
>>> Mark
>>>

>> can win2k handle usb2 properly? DSE stuff is some times really
>> crappy....I have an 8gb a-data ps2, will try and find 1.5gb to
>> copy....Ive been meaning to try it as I suspect the docking station
>> usb ports has issues...
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Thing
>>

> What is happening on the server? I just moved a 3.6Gb iso image to an
> a-data my-flash PD2 8GB drive in 22mins....this is on a laptop so the hd
> is'nt the fastest....so it should take about 10mins for 1.5Gb....
>
> What I did notice was if I tried to do anything on my desktop (web
> browsing, docs etc) while transferring the time estimate went up
> 25%...so if your server is busy doing things it may not be the drives
> fault.
>
> regards
>
> thing

I just checked between a usb2 port on the laptop and a usb2 port on the
docking station and the estimated time is the same...so docking station
port seems OK.

regards

Thing

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Mark C wrote:
> Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?
>
> The DSE site says the stick is USB2.0.
> My USB external HDD can read @ ~28Mbyte/s thru the same USB ports.
> (Edit: USB HDD was turned off at the time, I was copying from the
> internal IDE drive.)
>
> The file copy starts off with a ~4min estimate, and then blows out
> to 50min, oscillating about.
>
> Performance monitor showed a steady baseline write speed of
> 200KBytes/s, peaking to 800KBytes/s sometimes and 6MBytes/s
> rarely. A disk test utility showed it can be read from @
> 12MBytes/s.

Is it one large file or hundreds/thousands of small ones?

I did the exercise of moving multiple GB's of stuff from
a desktop PC to my laptop via my 40GB camcorder over usb2.
Copying the files individually (over 100,000) took ages,
but another copy I did I zipped them all first - using just
one (big) zip took probably only a quarter as long to copy
but the zipping process added most of the time saved back
on...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
"Maybe politicians should ask the people whether
or not they wanted all these wars"...

Mark C

Mark C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:03217715$0$14503$(E-Mail Removed):
> Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?

I just tested an older DSE 128MB stick, and could copy the same files
to it @ 1MBytes/s to 7MBytes/s averaging 4MBytes/s, much faster than
the 2GB stick (which averaged 400KBytes/s)

When mounting the 2GB stick, it declared itself to be a hard-disk
drive: DSE site says: "utilizes an OTi-2168 USB2.0 mass storage class
controller. This RISC processor based controller makes linear flash
device arrays look likes a normal disk".
Perhaps that's getting in the way, or W2K does not like that style of
driver.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in
news:frqn0a$ajg$(E-Mail Removed):
> I suppose it's worth trying another system, just for comparison.

I'll get my friend to test it on their system.

Brian Mathews <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):
> Do not run speed test tools on Flash drives as you can easly
> kill them, ie ware them out.

Noted, thanks.

> Do you no the Rated speed R/W of the Flash drive, most of these
> Cheap or no brand ones are very slow.

No I don't, it just says USB 2.0 Hi-Speed on the DSE website.

thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):
news:(E-Mail Removed):
> can win2k handle usb2 properly?

(See above) it has handled it OK so far, fast on my USB external HDD.
I believe W2K is fully functional re USB2.

> DSE stuff is some times really crappy....

I can believe that!

> What is happening on the server? I just moved a 3.6Gb iso image
> to an a-data my-flash PD2 8GB drive in 22mins....this is on a
> laptop so the hd is'nt the fastest....so it should take about
> 10mins for 1.5Gb....

The server was idle, and had heaps of free memory (~600MB).

Chris Wilkinson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:47e182cd$(E-Mail Removed):
> Is it one large file or hundreds/thousands of small ones?

About 200 ~8MB (MP3) files.

Thanks to all.

Brian Mathews

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 09:28:51 +1300, thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>thingy wrote:
>> Mark C wrote:
>>> Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?
>>>
>>> The DSE site says the stick is USB2.0.
>>> My USB external HDD can read @ ~28Mbyte/s thru the same USB ports.
>>> (Edit: USB HDD was turned off at the time, I was copying from the
>>> internal IDE drive.)
>>>
>>> The file copy starts off with a ~4min estimate, and then blows out
>>> to 50min, oscillating about.
>>>
>>> Performance monitor showed a steady baseline write speed of
>>> 200KBytes/s, peaking to 800KBytes/s sometimes and 6MBytes/s
>>> rarely. A disk test utility showed it can be read from @
>>> 12MBytes/s.
>>> Windows 2000 Server SP4, patched.
>>>
>>> Oh well...
>>>
>>> Mark
>>>

>> can win2k handle usb2 properly? DSE stuff is some times really
>> crappy....I have an 8gb a-data ps2, will try and find 1.5gb to
>> copy....Ive been meaning to try it as I suspect the docking station usb
>> ports has issues...
>>
>> regards
>>
>> Thing
>>

>What is happening on the server? I just moved a 3.6Gb iso image to an
>a-data my-flash PD2 8GB drive in 22mins....this is on a laptop so the hd
>is'nt the fastest....so it should take about 10mins for 1.5Gb....
>
>What I did notice was if I tried to do anything on my desktop (web
>browsing, docs etc) while transferring the time estimate went up
>25%...so if your server is busy doing things it may not be the drives fault.
>
>regards
>
>thing

USB is a CPU Hog...

Dave Doe

In article <03217715$0$14503$(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid says...
> Should it take 50 minutes to copy 1.5GB to a USB2 memory stick?
>
> The DSE site says the stick is USB2.0.
> My USB external HDD can read @ ~28Mbyte/s thru the same USB ports.
> (Edit: USB HDD was turned off at the time, I was copying from the
> internal IDE drive.)
>
> The file copy starts off with a ~4min estimate, and then blows out
> to 50min, oscillating about.
>
> Performance monitor showed a steady baseline write speed of
> 200KBytes/s, peaking to 800KBytes/s sometimes and 6MBytes/s
> rarely. A disk test utility showed it can be read from @
> 12MBytes/s.
>
> Windows 2000 Server SP4, patched.

Yeah, but does your *computer* support USB2. I suspect it is USB 1 or
1.1 only.

Control Panel, System, Hardware, Devices - expand the USB controllers -
and if you don't see the word "enhanced" - you don't have USB2.

--
Duncan