Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > AJAX Toolkit

AJAX Toolkit

Scott M.

How do I use the AJAX Toolkit? It seems that this is just one really big
Visual Studio solution that consists of samples. How do I get these
controls to show up in my toolbox when I build new projects?

-Scott

Nathan Sokalski

First of all, what have you done so far (and what version of Visual Studio
are you using)? Here is one page that you may find very useful:

http://asp.net/ajax/documentation/li...SPNETAJAX.aspx
http://asp.net/AJAX/Documentation/Li...SPNETAJAX.aspx

And there is also a forum for ASP.NET AJAX at:

http://forums.asp.net/default.aspx?GroupID=34

These sites have all been very useful to me when I installed and set up
ASP.NET AJAX on my machine, so hopefully they will be useful to you as well.
Two things that I want to mention that it sounds like you might not know (I
didn't either at that point in my experience) are:

1. You need to copy the AjaxControlToolkit.dll to the bin directory of all
sites in order to use the controls. There may be a built-in way to have
Visual Studio 2005 automatically copy it there when you create a new
Project, but I haven't found it, and since it's not hard to copy a file, I'm
just sticking with the copying.

2. One of the steps somewhere on one of the pages I gave you links to are
instructions for adding the Controls to the ToolBox, it requires an extra
step, so you will not see them there until you do that. Good Luck!
--
Nathan Sokalski
http://www.nathansokalski.com/
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How do I use the AJAX Toolkit? It seems that this is just one really big
> Visual Studio solution that consists of samples. How do I get these
> controls to show up in my toolbox when I build new projects?
>
> -Scott

Scott M.

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for your time on this, but I'm not asking about installing ASP .NET
AJAX, I'm asking about the ASP .NET AJAX Toolkit, which is not the same
thing as the basic AJAX Extensions that those articles describe.

I'm using VS 2008 (where the AJAX extensions are built-it from the get-go)
and have downloaded the ASP .NET AJAX Toolkit, which seems to exists as one,
very big, ASP .NET Web Site, but I don't know how to utilize this and get
the Toolkit controls show up in VS 2008 for use in other projects.

-Scott

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> First of all, what have you done so far (and what version of Visual Studio
> are you using)? Here is one page that you may find very useful:
>
> http://asp.net/ajax/documentation/li...SPNETAJAX.aspx
> http://asp.net/AJAX/Documentation/Li...SPNETAJAX.aspx
>
> And there is also a forum for ASP.NET AJAX at:
>
> http://forums.asp.net/default.aspx?GroupID=34
>
> These sites have all been very useful to me when I installed and set up
> ASP.NET AJAX on my machine, so hopefully they will be useful to you as
> well. Two things that I want to mention that it sounds like you might not
> know (I didn't either at that point in my experience) are:
>
> 1. You need to copy the AjaxControlToolkit.dll to the bin directory of all
> sites in order to use the controls. There may be a built-in way to have
> Visual Studio 2005 automatically copy it there when you create a new
> Project, but I haven't found it, and since it's not hard to copy a file,
> I'm just sticking with the copying.
>
> 2. One of the steps somewhere on one of the pages I gave you links to are
> instructions for adding the Controls to the ToolBox, it requires an extra
> step, so you will not see them there until you do that. Good Luck!
> --
> Nathan Sokalski
> (E-Mail Removed)
> http://www.nathansokalski.com/
> "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> How do I use the AJAX Toolkit? It seems that this is just one really big
>> Visual Studio solution that consists of samples. How do I get these
>> controls to show up in my toolbox when I build new projects?
>>
>> -Scott

George Ter-Saakov

It's a simple DLL you need to include in your project. Just right click in
your "control" panel and choose "add control"
Then browse to the DLL you've downloaded and add it.

AJAX control will show up on "control" panel and DLL will be automaticly
added to the prject (will be in a BIN folder).

George.

news:Oe%23m%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Nathan,
>
> Thanks for your time on this, but I'm not asking about installing ASP .NET
> AJAX, I'm asking about the ASP .NET AJAX Toolkit, which is not the same
> thing as the basic AJAX Extensions that those articles describe.
>
> I'm using VS 2008 (where the AJAX extensions are built-it from the get-go)
> and have downloaded the ASP .NET AJAX Toolkit, which seems to exists as
> one, very big, ASP .NET Web Site, but I don't know how to utilize this and
> get the Toolkit controls show up in VS 2008 for use in other projects.
>
> -Scott
>

> "Nathan Sokalski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> First of all, what have you done so far (and what version of Visual
>> Studio are you using)? Here is one page that you may find very useful:
>>
>> http://asp.net/ajax/documentation/li...SPNETAJAX.aspx
>> http://asp.net/AJAX/Documentation/Li...SPNETAJAX.aspx
>>
>> And there is also a forum for ASP.NET AJAX at:
>>
>> http://forums.asp.net/default.aspx?GroupID=34
>>
>> These sites have all been very useful to me when I installed and set up
>> ASP.NET AJAX on my machine, so hopefully they will be useful to you as
>> well. Two things that I want to mention that it sounds like you might not
>> know (I didn't either at that point in my experience) are:
>>
>> 1. You need to copy the AjaxControlToolkit.dll to the bin directory of
>> all sites in order to use the controls. There may be a built-in way to
>> have Visual Studio 2005 automatically copy it there when you create a new
>> Project, but I haven't found it, and since it's not hard to copy a file,
>> I'm just sticking with the copying.
>>
>> 2. One of the steps somewhere on one of the pages I gave you links to are
>> instructions for adding the Controls to the ToolBox, it requires an extra
>> step, so you will not see them there until you do that. Good Luck!
>> --
>> Nathan Sokalski
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>> http://www.nathansokalski.com/
>> "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> How do I use the AJAX Toolkit? It seems that this is just one really
>>> big Visual Studio solution that consists of samples. How do I get these
>>> controls to show up in my toolbox when I build new projects?
>>>
>>> -Scott

Scott M.

I don't have a simple.dll as you describe. What I have is a large ASP .NET
Web Site with many .aspx and .js pages.

-Scott

"George Ter-Saakov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It's a simple DLL you need to include in your project. Just right click in
> your "control" panel and choose "add control"
> Then browse to the DLL you've downloaded and add it.
>
> AJAX control will show up on "control" panel and DLL will be automaticly
> added to the prject (will be in a BIN folder).
>
> George.
>
> "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Oe%23m%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi Nathan,
>>
>> Thanks for your time on this, but I'm not asking about installing ASP
>> .NET AJAX, I'm asking about the ASP .NET AJAX Toolkit, which is not the
>> same thing as the basic AJAX Extensions that those articles describe.
>>
>> I'm using VS 2008 (where the AJAX extensions are built-it from the
>> get-go) and have downloaded the ASP .NET AJAX Toolkit, which seems to
>> exists as one, very big, ASP .NET Web Site, but I don't know how to
>> utilize this and get the Toolkit controls show up in VS 2008 for use in
>> other projects.
>>
>> -Scott
>>

>> "Nathan Sokalski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> First of all, what have you done so far (and what version of Visual
>>> Studio are you using)? Here is one page that you may find very useful:
>>>
>>> http://asp.net/ajax/documentation/li...SPNETAJAX.aspx
>>> http://asp.net/AJAX/Documentation/Li...SPNETAJAX.aspx
>>>
>>> And there is also a forum for ASP.NET AJAX at:
>>>
>>> http://forums.asp.net/default.aspx?GroupID=34
>>>
>>> These sites have all been very useful to me when I installed and set up
>>> ASP.NET AJAX on my machine, so hopefully they will be useful to you as
>>> well. Two things that I want to mention that it sounds like you might
>>> not know (I didn't either at that point in my experience) are:
>>>
>>> 1. You need to copy the AjaxControlToolkit.dll to the bin directory of
>>> all sites in order to use the controls. There may be a built-in way to
>>> have Visual Studio 2005 automatically copy it there when you create a
>>> new Project, but I haven't found it, and since it's not hard to copy a
>>> file, I'm just sticking with the copying.
>>>
>>> 2. One of the steps somewhere on one of the pages I gave you links to
>>> are instructions for adding the Controls to the ToolBox, it requires an
>>> extra step, so you will not see them there until you do that. Good Luck!
>>> --
>>> Nathan Sokalski
>>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>> http://www.nathansokalski.com/
>>> "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

George Ter-Saakov

when you download AJAX toolkit it comes with a lot of
examples/documentation.....
You only need one DLL. Go to BIN folder when you unzip toolkit.

That is the DLL I was referring too.

George.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I don't have a simple.dll as you describe. What I have is a large ASP .NET
>Web Site with many .aspx and .js pages.
>
> -Scott
>
> "George Ter-Saakov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> It's a simple DLL you need to include in your project. Just right click
>> in your "control" panel and choose "add control"
>> Then browse to the DLL you've downloaded and add it.
>>
>> AJAX control will show up on "control" panel and DLL will be automaticly
>> added to the prject (will be in a BIN folder).
>>
>> George.
>>
>> "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:Oe%23m%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi Nathan,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your time on this, but I'm not asking about installing ASP
>>> .NET AJAX, I'm asking about the ASP .NET AJAX Toolkit, which is not the
>>> same thing as the basic AJAX Extensions that those articles describe.
>>>
>>> I'm using VS 2008 (where the AJAX extensions are built-it from the
>>> get-go) and have downloaded the ASP .NET AJAX Toolkit, which seems to
>>> exists as one, very big, ASP .NET Web Site, but I don't know how to
>>> utilize this and get the Toolkit controls show up in VS 2008 for use in
>>> other projects.
>>>
>>> -Scott
>>>

>>> "Nathan Sokalski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Scott M.

There are 4 assemblies in my "Binaries" (not BIN) folder:

BuildVsi.dll
JavaScriptCommentStripper.dll
Microsoft.Web.Testing.dll
Tools.dll

Which one do I want?

-Scott

"George Ter-Saakov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OEbUq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> when you download AJAX toolkit it comes with a lot of
> examples/documentation.....
> You only need one DLL. Go to BIN folder when you unzip toolkit.
>
> That is the DLL I was referring too.
>
> George.
>

> "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I don't have a simple.dll as you describe. What I have is a large ASP
>>.NET Web Site with many .aspx and .js pages.
>>
>> -Scott
>>
>> "George Ter-Saakov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> It's a simple DLL you need to include in your project. Just right click
>>> in your "control" panel and choose "add control"
>>> Then browse to the DLL you've downloaded and add it.
>>>
>>> AJAX control will show up on "control" panel and DLL will be automaticly
>>> added to the prject (will be in a BIN folder).
>>>
>>> George.
>>>
>>> "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:Oe%23m%(E-Mail Removed)...

Registered User

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 20:25:13 -0400, "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>There are 4 assemblies in my "Binaries" (not BIN) folder:
>
>BuildVsi.dll
>JavaScriptCommentStripper.dll
>Microsoft.Web.Testing.dll
>Tools.dll
>
>Which one do I want?

Check out the "How Do I: Get Started with ASP.NET AJAX" video
http://www.asp.net/learn/ajax-videos/

>-Scott
>

>"George Ter-Saakov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:OEbUq$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> when you download AJAX toolkit it comes with a lot of
>> examples/documentation.....
>> You only need one DLL. Go to BIN folder when you unzip toolkit.
>>
>> That is the DLL I was referring too.
>>
>> George.
>>

>> "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I don't have a simple.dll as you describe. What I have is a large ASP
>>>.NET Web Site with many .aspx and .js pages.
>>>
>>> -Scott
>>>
>>> "George Ter-Saakov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Jialiang Ge [MSFT]

Hello Scott,

I think the DLL referred by George is the one in the folder:
AjaxControlToolkit/AjaxControlToolkit/bin/Debut(or
Release)/AjaxControlTookit.dll. If you don't see the bin folder, you need
to open the solution (AjaxControlToolkit.sln) and compile it. After you get
the DLL, you can add it to Visual Studio Toolbox by right clicking Toolbox,
selecting "Choose Items..", and locate the DLL from the Browse button,
click OK.

Regards,
Jialiang Ge ((E-Mail Removed), remove 'online.')
Microsoft Online Community Support

(E-Mail Removed).

George Ter-Saakov

Yes, that is what I am talking about....I did not remember the name exactly
but remembered that it's quite obvious.
Thanks you...

George.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...