Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > You want to see small text on a website?

You want to see small text on a website?

Mike Barnard

Then look at this... with a magnifying glass!

http://lexingtoninstitute.org/1240.shtml

SAZ

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Then look at this... with a magnifying glass!
>
> http://lexingtoninstitute.org/1240.shtml

It's small, but not horribly small. I've seen several news sites use
the same font and size.

cwdjrxyz

On Mar 18, 5:09 pm, Mike Barnard <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Then look at this... with a magnifying glass!
>
> http://lexingtoninstitute.org/1240.shtml

I can read the text, but I would not like to have to read it all day,
especially on a small screen or a monitor that is a bit out of
adjustment. I took a glance at the external style sheet. Much of the
font-size is 10 px. I did note one or two cases of font-size specified
in points, with the lowest I saw was 7.5 pt.

That text is not nearly as small as it can be. You should see a period
specified as font-size of 1 px. In fact I used that a bit a few years
ago. If you want to draw a colored bar somewhere on a page, you can do
so using a division with background-color for it specified. Back then,
and perhaps still, for some browsers the division had to have some
content for this to work. A 1 px period in the division is all it took
to have content in the division, and it is not noticed by most people.
However if you specify the text color for the division about the same
as the background color, then the period can not be seen even if you
know exactly where it should be.

C A Upsdell

Mike Barnard wrote:
> Then look at this... with a magnifying glass!
>
> http://lexingtoninstitute.org/1240.shtml

One of the problems is that the first font in the font-family list is
Verdana, which is well known to be harder to read in small sizes. The
designer clearly has not learned this.

dorayme

In article <frpt4l$3b3$(E-Mail Removed)>,
C A Upsdell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Verdana, ... is well known to be harder to read in small sizes

It is?

--
dorayme

Mike Barnard

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 14:10:07 +1100, dorayme
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <frpt4l$3b3$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> C A Upsdell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Verdana, ... is well known to be harder to read in small sizes

>It is?

Hehe, have I (re)started the war about verdana?

Toby A Inkster

C A Upsdell wrote:

> One of the problems is that the first font in the font-family list is
> Verdana, which is well known to be harder to read in small sizes. The
> designer clearly has not learned this.

No, the problem is that Verdana is well-known to be *easy* to read as
small sizes, which encourages designers to use tiny text "because it's in
Verdana", forgetting that it might *not* be in Verdana on some computers.

(e.g. they have a user stylesheet which overrides the author's font
choice, or they don't have the font installed.)

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 1 day, 13:31.]

The Semantic Web
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2008/03/09/sw/

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mike Barnard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 14:10:07 +1100, dorayme
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >In article <frpt4l$3b3$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > C A Upsdell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> Verdana, ... is well known to be harder to read in small sizes

> >It is?

> Hehe, have I (re)started the war about verdana?

I doubt it. CA has it wrong, simple as that.

--
dorayme

C A Upsdell

dorayme wrote:
> In article <frpt4l$3b3$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> C A Upsdell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Verdana, ... is well known to be harder to read in small sizes

> It is?

Arrghhh! Brain freeze. Yes, I had it backwards.

Harlan Messinger

dorayme wrote:
> In article <frpt4l$3b3$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> C A Upsdell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Verdana, ... is well known to be harder to read in small sizes

> It is?

Certainly not. The whole problem with Verdana is that no matter whether
you declare its size to be 0.1pt or 150% or 4ex, it's drawn half a meter
high!