Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > want Firefox 2 tabs to go away

want Firefox 2 tabs to go away

mineola

I use Firefox 2.0.0.12. I thought I'd like to try Firefox 3, so I
downloaded and installed a beta version. I didn't like Firefox 3 so I
uninstalled the beta and re-installed Firefox 2. My Firefox 2 now has
the very thing I didn't like in Firefox 3, my Firefox 2 browser has a
tab bar that I can't make go away and stay gone. If I click on
view>tab bar, it's not checked, but clicking on it leaves it still
unchecked, but makes my tab bar disappear for that session. However
the next time I launch Firefox2, my tab bar is there again, and to
make it go away, I again have to click on view>tab bar.

So it seems that every time I launch Fixfox2 now, I have to click on
view>tab bar to make my unwanted tab bar vanish. Their surely is a
Firefox2 setting to permanently make my tab bar go away, but I cannot
find it. Could anyone here help?

Miller

*mineola* wrote:
> I use Firefox 2.0.0.12. I thought I'd like to try Firefox 3, so I
> downloaded and installed a beta version. I didn't like Firefox 3 so I
> uninstalled the beta and re-installed Firefox 2. My Firefox 2 now has
> the very thing I didn't like in Firefox 3, my Firefox 2 browser has a
> tab bar that I can't make go away and stay gone. If I click on
> view>tab bar, it's not checked, but clicking on it leaves it still
> unchecked, but makes my tab bar disappear for that session. However
> the next time I launch Firefox2, my tab bar is there again, and to
> make it go away, I again have to click on view>tab bar.
>
> So it seems that every time I launch Fixfox2 now, I have to click on
> view>tab bar to make my unwanted tab bar vanish. Their surely is a
> Firefox2 setting to permanently make my tab bar go away, but I cannot
> find it. Could anyone here help?

Type about:config into the locationbar and search for browser.tabs.autoHide

"Behavior for the tab bar when only one tab exists
True (default): Hide the tab bar
False: Always show the tab bar
Note: In Firefox, this can be changed via "Tools, Options, Tabs,
Always show the tab bar" (Firefox 2)"

Doubleclicking the value will change it.

If you want no tab bar *at all* change browser.tabs.forceHide to true

HTH, M.

mineola

On Mar 18, 3:19 pm, Miller <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> *mineola* wrote:
> > I use Firefox 2.0.0.12. I thought I'd like to try Firefox 3, so I
> > downloaded and installed a beta version. I didn't like Firefox 3 so I
> > uninstalled the beta and re-installed Firefox 2. My Firefox 2 now has
> > the very thing I didn't like in Firefox 3, my Firefox 2 browser has a
> > tab bar that I can't make go away and stay gone. If I click on
> > view>tab bar, it's not checked, but clicking on it leaves it still
> > unchecked, but makes my tab bar disappear for that session. However
> > the next time I launch Firefox2, my tab bar is there again, and to
> > make it go away, I again have to click on view>tab bar.

> > So it seems that every time I launch Fixfox2 now, I have to click on
> > view>tab bar to make my unwanted tab bar vanish. Their surely is a
> > Firefox2 setting to permanently make my tab bar go away, but I cannot
> > find it. Could anyone here help?

> Type about:config into the locationbar and search for browser.tabs.autoHide
>
> "Behavior for the tab bar when only one tab exists
> True (default): Hide the tab bar
> False: Always show the tab bar
> Note: In Firefox, this can be changed via "Tools, Options, Tabs,
> Always show the tab bar" (Firefox 2)"
>
> Doubleclicking the value will change it.
>
> If you want no tab bar *at all* change browser.tabs.forceHide to true
>
> HTH, M.

I must have a bug here. My browser.tabs.forceHide is "true", but I
still get a tab bar